• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stormbringer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    San Antonio, Tx
    Anyone have any experience/recommendations or criticisms on the Chiappa M4-22? I have a Chiappa 1873-22 revolver and love it and was wondering for a dedicated AR type 22 what are the options and opinions. I don't want a 22 conversion for my AR15.
    Capitol Armory ad

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    I've only sold them (the complete upper, not the complete rifle). I had one show up from the distributor with a bolt that clearly loosed used/abused. Contacted the factory for a replacement. That went pretty smoothly. I haven't had customers complain after the purchase. Personally I prefer a bit more high end components on guns I put together so it's a tradeoff. $$ for quality.

Whiskey_Rocka_Rolla

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2012
    Houston
    I have one for sale that I can personally attest to the quality of. It is in the guns for sale section. I have heard of others having issues with them but mine has performed flawlessly and I really didn't even want to sell it, but I need the $$$.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    I am glad that real people have positive things to say about Chiappa products because my experience with their 1911 in .22lr has been a real disappointment. Gun writers never have anything negative to say about a sponsors product so the best reviews come from the end users. If I needed another dedicated upper in .22lr this thread would cause me to give Chiappa another look.

Blind Sniper

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2013
    Bay City, MI
    I'll tell you right off. Do NOT run high velocity ammo through that rifle/upper. The feed ramp extends into the chamber about 1/16th of an inch or so, and the casing expands to fill that void. I've never had any split cases, but the bulges I've seen are fairly large (out to the edge of the rim).

ETA: Here's a link to my old thread, with pictures of a bulged Minimag case: http://www.texasguntalk.com/forums/rimfire/51069-chiappa-22lr-m4gery-making-progress.html

Mine love the 38 grain Remington subsonics, however. Consistent accuracy (dime-size grouping at 20 yards, no support other than a 23 inch bipod), minimal to no bulging on the fired casing, reliable cycling even with a dirty upper/BCG.

Overall, just clean it every 200-300 rounds (manual recommends no more than 200, and IME a pass or two with a boresnake is enough to keep the bore functionally clean), stick with subsonic or target ammo, and you'll be fine.

Still pissed that I left mine in Texas when I moved back to Michigan last month. It's a sweet little plinker, despite the teething issues.

Last edited:

Vernix

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2011
    Once was Mexico.
    Anyone have any experience/recommendations or criticisms on the Chiappa M4-22? I have a Chiappa 1873-22 revolver and love it and was wondering for a dedicated AR type 22 what are the options and opinions. I don't want a 22 conversion for my AR15.

Shopped a while back.

3 choices I looked at.
    Chiappa seemed the least refined in manufacture and fit and finish.
    CMMG seemed much better and highest priced.

DPMS bull barrel target 22 upper was, hands down, the best machined bolt, ramp, etc.
    http://www.dpmsinc.com/22-Long-Rifle-CM-Bull-Barrel-Assy_p_136.html

Runs great. Have an ACOG scope on it and with the right ammo it'd probably be a 1/2 MOA .22lr I suspect.

As I type it's getting cut to 6" and threaded for my Sparrow suppressor, as my Form 1 arrived last week for xmas!!!!
    Hopefully it'll cycle with the shorter length and faster pressure impulse to blow the very stout bolt back without cutting the spring!

Runs great with the 50 round Black Dog drum BTW!

V

Last edited:
    Top Bottom