• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Crusader_73

Apr 11, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I've been looking hard at the Chiappa Rhino in .357. Does anyone own one and can give a personal review of it? Like or dislike, handling, recoil, etc?
    Hurley's Gold

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I really want one if that helps anything.

I hear good things about them but have just never gotten serious about getting one.

Crusader_73

Apr 11, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I really want one if that helps anything.

I hear good things about them but have just never gotten serious about getting one.
    The wife has been hounding me about buying her one, but I bought me the Five-Seven and she stole it. Thinking about buying her the Rhino and stealing it from her.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    One of the ugliest handguns I've seen. I've heard the recoil is more back then up, which is good, but also heard to watch where you hold it or you could burn your thumb.

dermunkee

Lifetime Member
    Mar 28, 2016
    Katy, TX
    Search reddit's r/guns, there are a couple of horror stories from Chiappa's customer service. While I've been interested in picking one of these up one day, I would make sure and inspect it as well as possible before purchasing.

jmohme

TGT Addict
    May 11, 2015
    A friend of mine in Georgia has one and seems to like it a alot.
    He says it's quite accurate and the recoil is more manageable than his Ruger 357.
    Like someone else already said, recoil is more push than muzzle flip.

The only thing that would concern me is the complexity of trigger mechanism.

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    The whole thing sounds like an overcomplicated solution, with its own complexities, in search of a problem. My Rugers, S&W's and even my H&R revolvers work just fine.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've pulled the triggers on several and, every time, that was enough to convince me to leave my wallet in my pocket.

I also remember a gun magazine test. Now, having absorbed the BS spouted by gun mags for more decades than many have been alive, I've learned to read between the lines. In this particular test, the language wasn't over the top but the pictures were HUGE. Why? Because by blowing up the pictures so large, the magazine didn't have to print a single word about the horrific finish on that revolver. There were visible voids in cast parts, visible machine marks, and the exterior was given a matte finish because, frankly, I don't think it could have ever been polished enough to be given any sort of smooth finish.

None of that may be important to many folks. After all, Sten guns work fine, right? But if I'm spending good money on a revolver, I want it to be at least a little pretty. If it looks like it's wearing makeup to cover a bad acne breakout, I'm moving along.

Having said all that, there are people who love 'em. Search on YouTube for "Yankee Marshal Rhino" and you'll find a dozen videos where he talks about how much he loves 'em and how he, at one time, used a Rhino as his EDC.

Last edited:

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I would certainly buy the Smith & Wesson 686 SSR before I would the Chiappa Rhino, and not just because I could probably buy the 686 cheaper. I just didn't like the feel of the grip and the looks of the Rhino just didn't appeal to me, but here's a side by side:

uBswUf2koXg

jmohme

TGT Addict
    May 11, 2015
    I love the looks of a classic S&W revolver, but I also can appreciate the unique appearance of the Rhino, but not the mechanical complexity or price tag.
    If I ran across a really good deal on one, I might bring one home.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    I love the looks of a classic S&W revolver, but I also can appreciate the unique appearance of the Rhino, but not the mechanical complexity or price tag.
    If I ran across a really good deal on one, I might bring one home.

I feel like you.
    Unique and interesting but too spendy to experiment.
    Chiappa doesn't exactly have a sterling reputation with me. Ask me about a $1500 Spencer repro that doesn't work.

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Had a customer shooting one of these yesterday in .357....the powder burns to his trigger finger were not insignificant......said shooting .38 spl's weren't as bad, but he wants to trade it...didn't have anything he wanted in stock.....but his burned trigger finger has me wondering if I want to even bother trading for it.....

Top Bottom