• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    It seems to me someone made a revolver in that configuration back in the mid 70s but in .38 special. The pistol looked like any other SA/DA revolver except the barrel was aligned on the bottom chamber. I have not been able to find it so far.
    Target Sports

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    It’s an alright revolver. However, for the same money there are more durable wheel guns out there.

I owned a .357 snub Rhino. I sold it the first time someone offered me more than I paid.

Last edited:

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    I like the innovation but the execution is very poor.

Different recoil feel. Check
    Less muzzle flip. Check
    Cool looking. Check
    Noticed at the range. Check
    Loose cylinder. Check
    Weak finish. Check
    Grip cracking. Check

If you own one 357 revolver I hope this isn't it. If you own a pile of them then go for it.

She ain't no GP100 that's for sure.

Tihsepa

Perpetually Confused
    Oct 24, 2020
    Aubrey, Tx.

Less muzzle flip. Check
    Cool looking. Check
    Loose cylinder. Check
    Weak finish. Check
    Grip cracking. Check

If you own one 357 revolver I hope this isn't it. If you own a pile of them then go for it.

Spot on. Even with the pandemic buying none (few) of the new shooters out there want revolvers. I picked up a very nice Smith and Wesson 686 pretty cheap the other day. No reason to move on from what works. Oh, .357 is not that big of a deal anyway. No need to go this route.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    The design intrigues me, but I've heard too many bad QC stories about them to shell out that kind of money.

One thing I've read is that, if you remove the linkages for the cocking lever to make it a DAO, the trigger pull improves dramatically. A Rhino snub in DAO might be worth having.....

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    for the same price-point you could get a S&W with a sweet double action trigger out of the box

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    It seems to me someone made a revolver in that configuration back in the mid 70s but in .38 special. The pistol looked like any other SA/DA revolver except the barrel was aligned on the bottom chamber. I have not been able to find it so far.
    Oh, yeah, it's been done before. The most commonly cited examples were from Mateba but I feel sure there have been others.

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    Oh, yeah, it's been done before. The most commonly cited examples were from Mateba but I feel sure there have been others.

I forgot about their Automatic revolvers. They had better grips than Chiapa.
    1394ABCD-1DBD-473D-9CD9-4057E8773478.jpeg

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Webley made an automatic revolver at one time.
    Yeah, but did it have the barrel on the bottom? I feel sure I've seen more than just the Chiappa and the Mateba but I can't remember the names right now. (ETA: Not all Matebas were automatics, btw.)

Of course, with a little research I can usually find things I can't remember, like this Russian revolver, the AEK-906 Nosorog chambered in 9x18 Makarov.

7e55fb4ddd77d9c6e237584285579b8c.jpeg

Last edited:

TipBledsoe

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Jun 28, 2020
    LaVernia TX

Less muzzle flip. Check
    Cool looking. Check
    Loose cylinder. Check
    Weak finish. Check
    Grip cracking. Check

... and yet soooooo ugly

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Then again, there are the experimental low-barrel revolvers that never make it to market. Century International Arms announced their 38-3 revolver back in 2014 but never produced it. The selling point was that it was a 3-shot revolver with a flattened cylinder, enabling the revolver to be just one inch thick.

A revolver that's only an inch thick might be nice for concealed carry but apparently nobody was willing to sacrifice 2 or 3 rounds of capacity to get it. Ugly thing, too.

CentIntMDL38-3_R.jpeg

ETA: This picture that includes a view from the muzzle should make the concept more clear. It also makes it clear that Century never really intended the revolver for production. If they had, there's no way they'd show up at the NRA Annual Meeting with the grip panel screws that boogered up. But weird guns get you mentioned in gun magazines so I hope the publicity was worth it.

Century3shot.png

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Mine has had the Robar NP3 treatment on the entire gun. Trigger is like it is rolling on Teflon coated ball bearings. Smooth as glass.
    As I stated earlier in this thread, every time I've been tempted by a Chiappa I've been able to resist that temptation by pulling the trigger. I've never held a stock Chiappa with a decent trigger pull.

I've very happy to hear there's a solution to the problem.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    As I stated earlier in this thread, every time I've been tempted by a Chiappa I've been able to resist that temptation by pulling the trigger. I've never held a stock Chiappa with a decent trigger pull.

I've very happy to hear there's a solution to the problem.
    E395B6DC-121E-438A-9AB3-C67CA18B50F5.jpeg
    Still ugly though.:)

zackmars

Waging a holy war against direct blowback pcc's
    Nov 4, 2015
    Texas
    Every chiappa rhino ive shot had a trigger that felt like i was swinging a chain mail sack full of hammers against a wall

Top Bottom