• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I'd like to buy some chickens too, if anyone has any to sell...

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    I had chickens for years from 1998, which I started from chicks, and now haven't had chickens for even more years... They were all free range, with most roosting in their coop and the rest roosting in a tree over my welding table with obvious results...

They did mostly lay in the coop's laying boxes, but the one's who didn't kept the population growing. I had so many eggs, I kept the General Store supplied!

My dog and I had pretty much cleared out all the varmints and I only occasionally lost a chicken to fox or hawks...

Then, in 2009, I had to have hernia surgery, that turned out more complicated than expected, and the dog and I ended up away for 3 days instead of the expected one... When I got home, I found all my chickens dead and strewn around the fields and around the house and a cur Pit Bull and her pups feasting on the carcasses. Somehow, either the dog or my sheep and goats, which were also terrorized by the dog, had gotten a yard gate open so even the yard wasn't a safe haven for the chickens, though my fruit trees did serve to feed the goats that even stripped them of their bark.

Still in pain from the surgery, I nonetheless blasted the dogs with my 12 ga and only started cleaning up and burning all the carcasses the next day.

Though I've almost yearly thought to get chickens again, I never have. A few years ago pullets were available from some hatcheries for about $20, which was really reasonable considering the cost of chicks and the feed to raise them to pullets... Now, that doesn't seem to be an option.

I'd like to have a few chickens, but apparently like the OP, I really don't want to start them from chicks...

I still have a good roosting coop, but I really don't still have a good place to keep chicks.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I had chickens for years from 1998, which I started from chicks, and now haven't had chickens for even more years... They were all free range, with most roosting in their coop and the rest roosting in a tree over my welding table with obvious results...

They did mostly lay in the coop's laying boxes, but the one's who didn't kept the population growing. I had so many eggs, I kept the General Store supplied!

My dog and I had pretty much cleared out all the varmints and I only occasionally lost a chicken to fox or hawks...

Then, in 2009, I had to have hernia surgery, that turned out more complicated than expected, and the dog and I ended up away for 3 days instead of the expected one... When I got home, I found all my chickens dead and strewn around the fields and around the house and a cur Pit Bull and her pups feasting on the carcasses. Somehow, either the dog or my sheep and goats, which were also terrorized by the dog, had gotten a yard gate open so even the yard wasn't a safe haven for the chickens, though my fruit trees did serve to feed the goats that even stripped them of their bark.

Still in pain from the surgery, I nonetheless blasted the dogs with my 12 ga and only started cleaning up and burning all the carcasses the next day.

Though I've almost yearly thought to get chickens again, I never have. A few years ago pullets were available from some hatcheries for about $20, which was really reasonable considering the cost of chicks and the feed to raise them to pullets... Now, that doesn't seem to be an option.

I'd like to have a few chickens, but apparently like the OP, I really don't want to start them from chicks...

I still have a good roosting coop, but I really don't still have a good place to keep chicks.
    Check out Craigslist. People all the time advertise full grown chickens for sale.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    You can buy them online already sexed. I like Road island Reds and Barred chickens for laying hens. Had 21 hens until my neighbors dogs broke into the hen house. He offered to replace 21 laying hens with chicks from the feed store. Idiots!

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    They have chicks... I don't want chicks...

If I have chicks, I have to raise them. If I have chickens, they can raise their own chicks.
    And if you start a thread about chicks, or chickens, or raising them, you can take it any direction you want to.

Y chicken shit on Shady?

gll

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    And if you start a thread about chicks, or chickens, or raising them, you can take it any direction you want to.

Y chicken shit on Shady?
    Say what? Shady wants chickens...

This keeps his WTB active!

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    do them roosters lay eggs or just scream and holler every morning :).

And ya I am more interested in chickens that are ready to be out in a coop they don't have to be ready to lay eggs.

Shady

The One And Only
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2013
    lol so almost a year latter. I got the coop up to par I hope. Added water and food despensors.

Contacted 3 sellers on CL over the last week got nothing in the way or responses. I wanted adult birds for my first try at this. With no response I hit up tractor supply at 8am and got 10 chicks 5 Delaware and 5 humm I forgot and its not on my receipt lol ya thats 10 chicks :)

out of TS at 8:05 and BING text message from H&H poultry about 20 minutes from my house. Saying sorry that had power issues and it was all hands on deck with propane and ect to keep the chicks so they have not been answering any calls/txts.

they were selling 15 month old Hyline Brown Egg Layer for 10 each but they were in molt. So now I have 10 adults and 10 chicks. Pics of the chicks cuz they are cute the adults are ugly but laying

PXL_20230304_211632016.jpg

Top Bottom