• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    I have been looking for an NRA approved or Texas state approved Gun/Shooting safety course for my sons age 6 & 8 to go through. I called fort bliss rod and gun club and They were no help at all. I tried to search thru google but no luck there either. Does anyone know of a course or shop that that offers something. I took my CHL class John and Kathy of El Paso Shooters Academy and was thinking maybe they offer something. Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks
    Military Camp

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    Eddie Eagle teaches kids NOT to mess with guns but to report it to the adult. Stop, don't touch, leave the area, if they find a gun. I think the Texas Parks and Wildlife offers a hunters safety course for children. Thats about all I could find. Heres a link. TPWD: Texas Hunter Education

spence76

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    El Paso
    Thanks for the help. I looked at the hunters education as well, but the minimum age is 9 years old. My have to find a range other than rod and gun to teach my boys on, its only about 3 miles from the house though so it is the most convenient.

jake75

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    Hurst, TX
    I live close to Ft. Worth. I take my kids to the range and I've never been asked their age. I guess as long as they are supervised they don't ask any questions. Although I've seen some parents take their children to the range that had no business there themselves. I'd try another range or find a relatives lad to go shoot on.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I belong to El Paso Gun Club, and there is a lady there who is an NRA certified instructor. She had told me at one time that the NRA classes would have to be set up on an as-needed basis. I also have an 8 year old son I would like to get into a class. Maybe if we get enough kids together we can get a class organized....just a thought, let me know what you think. Good opportunity to BBQ and get to know some fellow shooters in the area too.....

swoope18

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2010
    El Paso
    Academy Sports offers a program. Call them, East or West side and I believe they do it once a month. I get back from Iraq next week and I have to do that with my son so he can go to the Rod and Gun.

SJS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    El Paso TX
    Please let me know if any of you found a class. I also have a 9-year old. I would like for him to go through a class-- not just safety issues but the basics of shooting as well. Or maybe we can get together w/ our kids and have BBQ. I brought him w/ me once to shot my G19 and he was ok w/ it.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I have found adult classes but nothing for kids....I have an 8 year old son who could use a class other than "Dad" telling him.....he used to go to the range with me, but now seems bored with it.....I think more kids with him would make it more fun for him. I believe there is an NRA certified instructor at The El Paso Gun Club. She runs the shoots every Sunday there. I will try to contact here and see what setting up a class for kids would involve.

Chrs2fer23

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    El Paso,Tx
    I totally agree, but although I do teach him very good gun safety, I am not a very experienced shooter. I am having a hard time getting him on target. I used to shoot alot when I was a teen and in my 20's then stopped for 25 years or so. I have just recently begun shooting again. I have explained the sight picture and even drawn it for him, but he is having a really hard time just hitting the paper even close up. Thought maybe someone with more experience teaching shooting skills could help.

SJS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    El Paso TX
    I have found adult classes but nothing for kids....I have an 8 year old son who could use a class other than "Dad" telling him.....he used to go to the range with me, but now seems bored with it.....I think more kids with him would make it more fun for him. I believe there is an NRA certified instructor at The El Paso Gun Club. She runs the shoots every Sunday there. I will try to contact here and see what setting up a class for kids would involve.

Cool. Let me know as soon as you get the info. Thanks.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I totally agree, but although I do teach him very good gun safety, I am not a very experienced shooter. I am having a hard time getting him on target. I used to shoot alot when I was a teen and in my 20's then stopped for 25 years or so. I have just recently begun shooting again. I have explained the sight picture and even drawn it for him, but he is having a really hard time just hitting the paper even close up. Thought maybe someone with more experience teaching shooting skills could help.

I greatly respect that you realize your limits and dont try to teach him when you are unsure of what to teach. For real young kids I dont know of any organized classes like you are describing. If I hear of something, I will post it....

Top Bottom