• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toddnjoyce

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 27, 2017
    Boerne
    I wanna add some brisket to my chili recipe.

Maybe some pork butt too.

That would be heart chili.

Replace the beef with brisket.
    Replace one of my sausage with butt.

Brisket is beef. I generally do a 1:1 ratio of beef, game, and and a third protein that’s dependent on the game. Feral hog usually gets offset with lamb, venison/elk/bison w/chorizo. HEB sells 1lb pkgs of ground brisket and it works just fine.

The protein combo drives the chili and spice mix.
    Hurley's Gold

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Brisket is really over priced. Watch for Chuck or shoulder roast to go on sale, & cook them as a pot roast then shred.
    Pork butt smoked & pulled
    Chili meat has its pros & cons. I never seen chili meat until I became a meat cutter. Never seen it before Texas.

We used to get "chili meat" from the grocery store (Winco Foods - those up in the DFW area have them now, they have not made it down to the Houston area yet) we shopped at in Oregon - I'd never seen it at any other grocer growing up. Safeway started selling the stuff occasionally. We almost never actually used it for chili - it'd usually cook it up and put it in spaghetti, or use it for finer sliced stew meat. Occasionally make "loose meat" sandwhiches with it, or tacos.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    We used to get "chili meat" from the grocery store (Winco Foods - those up in the DFW area have them now, they have not made it down to the Houston area yet) we shopped at in Oregon - I'd never seen it at any other grocer growing up. Safeway started selling the stuff occasionally. We almost never actually used it for chili - it'd usually cook it up and put it in spaghetti, or use it for finer sliced stew meat. Occasionally make "loose meat" sandwhiches with it, or tacos.
    Before I taped out of work they wanted all trimmings diced up fine then ran through the tenderizer. I would buy it if I made it and I liked if for lots of different things. Running meat through a tenderizer was never something I liked for the build up of meat protein & bacteria.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    A slight drift...

I only use Mexican beer in my chili. Carta Blanca preferred, otherwise light(colored) over medium over dark with the exclusion of Tecate and Corona.

Never used water.

If I don’t use a blend of dried ground chilies I use Carroll Shelby’s Chili Mix adding a good chili powder and cayenne, about half a jar of each or equivalent each.

My only sacrilege is Rotel Tomatoes.

Masa is a proctological nuisance to keep around just for chili.

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    A slight drift...

I only use Mexican beer in my chili. Carta Blanca preferred, otherwise light(colored) over medium over dark with the exclusion of Tecate and Corona.

Never used water.

If I don’t use a blend of dried ground chilies I use Carroll Shelby’s Chili Mix adding a good chili powder and cayenne, about half a jar of each or equivalent each.

We made chili in Africa using Carroll Shelby's Chili Mix and a rhinosurus sirloin. Drunken South African PH ruined it by stiring it then laying the spoon in the sand.

He neither liked Americans nor Texans. I'm pretty sure he was one of those displace white guys who had a great job until they introduced his replacement he had two weeks to train before being cut loose. Typical kind drunk that ended up eating a dangerous game round.

PinnedandRecessed

Allegedly
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 11, 2019
    Hays County
    Running meat through a tenderizer was never something I liked for the build up of meat protein & bacteria.
    Bringing back memories of my youth. I used to clean/sanitize the meat dept. at a Kroger back in the day. I got to dissemble the tenderizer and band saws every night. It was shit work but it allowed me free reign for most of the night and I liked the cold working conditions (especially in the summer). Good times.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Bringing back memories of my youth. I used to clean/sanitize the meat dept. at a Kroger back in the day. I got to dissemble the tenderizer and band saws every night. It was shit work but it allowed me free reign for most of the night and I liked the cold working conditions (especially in the summer). Good times.
    Could you take apart the band saw apart one handed so you didn't have to set the the hose you were cleaning with?

I stared out using a power sprayer & Clorox bleach. The power sprayer would blow seals if you didn't shut them down completely between spraying the waiting on customers.

I seen so many stupid cleaning systems that either didn't work right or they always ran out of degreaser and sanitizer. Or the lazy guys who didn't rinse the degreaser and all the meat that touched the block would be ruined.

A couple of store after getting remodel they found the contractors had dumped tile grout and other crap no one would dump in the floor drain down them.

Worked in a lot of filthy shit holes too. Towards the end when the bone cans were not getting picked up on a regular basis to save money. What a sad nasty joke.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A slight drift...

Never used water.

I have a chili recipe I have been perfecting for over 35 years now

Axxe"s Chili Recipe.

2-4 lbs. of cubed beef stew meat. (i willSmoked brisket pork butt or sholder also can be used. substitute deer meat here if i have it)
    1-3 lbs. of lean ground beef.
    1-3 lbs. of spicy pork sausage. (i prefer Jimmy Dean's brand)

10-16 jalapeno peppers.
    10-16 poblano peppers.
    10-16 cerrano peppers.
    6-10 sweet or yellow onions.
    8-12 fresh tomatoes. (firmer the better, but not green)
    8-12 red & green bell peppers.
    fresh cilantro.
    fresh garlic cloves.

1-3 cans of thick tomato paste.
    4-8 cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chile peppers.

cumin.
    coarse sea salt.
    coarse ground black pepper.
    Cayenne pepper.
    chili powder.

molasses. (darker the better)
    brown sugar.
    masa flour. (used to thicken up the chili during the cooking to one's desired thickness)
    1-3 bottles of dark beer. (i use Shiner Bock or Corona's)
    1-2 fresh Key limes.

optional ingredients if wanted.

1-2 cans of Ranch Style beans with onions.
    1-2 cans of Chili beans.
    1-2 cans of pinto beans.
    1-2 cans of dark red kidney beans.

now on to the cooking.

i separate all of my fresh ingredients in half after dicing all of them. half will be cooked in bacon drippings and seasoned, and the other half will go in the main cooking pot with other ingredients. at this time, de-seed and de-vein the jalapno, poblano and cerrano peppers.

in the main cooking pot, put in half of the fresh ingredients, the Rotel tomatoes, tomato paste, beer, molasses and brown sugar. if you are going to use beans in this, please add them at this time as well. (i generally most times use beans in my recipe, simply because most people that like my chili prefer chili with beans.) put this on low heat and simmer slowly. (this is important)

okay, next step is to saute the other half of the fresh ingredients in bacon drippings, seasoning them with salt, black pepper, and cumin. as you saute them to just starting to get tender, add them into the main cooking pot with everything else.

next step, is to brown the meats in bacon drippings as well, seasoning them with salt, black pepper and cumin. cook sausage first. as this will add pork flavoring to the other meats when you brown the as well. add them into the main cooking pot as well.

last step. seasoning. this is purely personal and subjective and i have no set amounts i use. i season by taste testing until it seems right!

season with cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder and lime juice. if you have one, you can zest some lime peeling into it as well.

now sit back and let it simmer for at least a couple of hours at a low simmer, stirring often. if needed, you can add in some Masa flour to thicken the consistency to your desired tastes. if you decide to use the Masa flour, add it in slowly and a little at a time, stirring constantly while adding it. a little goes a long ways. simmering at a lower temperature is key here as well. if it's bubbling, it's too hot and needs the temperature reduced a little.

my prep and cook times vary from about 3-6 hours making this chili recipe. it's not a quick fix recipe by any means. i found that slower cooking times bring more of the flavors out and also allow them to blend together much better.

serving when ready. i like to serve mine with fresh made cornbread, corn chips, shredded pepperjack cheese and some fresh diced onions.

FNORD

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    HOUSTON
    I have a chili recipe I have been perfecting for over 35 years now

Axxe"s Chili Recipe.

2-4 lbs. of cubed beef stew meat. (i willSmoked brisket pork butt or sholder also can be used. substitute deer meat here if i have it)
    1-3 lbs. of lean ground beef.
    1-3 lbs. of spicy pork sausage. (i prefer Jimmy Dean's brand)

10-16 jalapeno peppers.
    10-16 poblano peppers.
    10-16 cerrano peppers.
    6-10 sweet or yellow onions.
    8-12 fresh tomatoes. (firmer the better, but not green)
    8-12 red & green bell peppers.
    fresh cilantro.
    fresh garlic cloves.

1-3 cans of thick tomato paste.
    4-8 cans of Rotel tomatoes with green chile peppers.

cumin.
    coarse sea salt.
    coarse ground black pepper.
    Cayenne pepper.
    chili powder.

molasses. (darker the better)
    brown sugar.
    masa flour. (used to thicken up the chili during the cooking to one's desired thickness)
    1-3 bottles of dark beer. (i use Shiner Bock or Corona's)
    1-2 fresh Key limes.

optional ingredients if wanted.

1-2 cans of Ranch Style beans with onions.
    1-2 cans of Chili beans.
    1-2 cans of pinto beans.
    1-2 cans of dark red kidney beans.

now on to the cooking.

i separate all of my fresh ingredients in half after dicing all of them. half will be cooked in bacon drippings and seasoned, and the other half will go in the main cooking pot with other ingredients. at this time, de-seed and de-vein the jalapno, poblano and cerrano peppers.

in the main cooking pot, put in half of the fresh ingredients, the Rotel tomatoes, tomato paste, beer, molasses and brown sugar. if you are going to use beans in this, please add them at this time as well. (i generally most times use beans in my recipe, simply because most people that like my chili prefer chili with beans.) put this on low heat and simmer slowly. (this is important)

okay, next step is to saute the other half of the fresh ingredients in bacon drippings, seasoning them with salt, black pepper, and cumin. as you saute them to just starting to get tender, add them into the main cooking pot with everything else.

next step, is to brown the meats in bacon drippings as well, seasoning them with salt, black pepper and cumin. cook sausage first. as this will add pork flavoring to the other meats when you brown the as well. add them into the main cooking pot as well.

last step. seasoning. this is purely personal and subjective and i have no set amounts i use. i season by taste testing until it seems right!

season with cumin, salt, black pepper, cayenne pepper, chili powder and lime juice. if you have one, you can zest some lime peeling into it as well.

now sit back and let it simmer for at least a couple of hours at a low simmer, stirring often. if needed, you can add in some Masa flour to thicken the consistency to your desired tastes. if you decide to use the Masa flour, add it in slowly and a little at a time, stirring constantly while adding it. a little goes a long ways. simmering at a lower temperature is key here as well. if it's bubbling, it's too hot and needs the temperature reduced a little.

my prep and cook times vary from about 3-6 hours making this chili recipe. it's not a quick fix recipe by any means. i found that slower cooking times bring more of the flavors out and also allow them to blend together much better.

serving when ready. i like to serve mine with fresh made cornbread, corn chips, shredded pepperjack cheese and some fresh diced onions.

Now that’s a meal.

That’s going in the box.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    I prefer it without beans. Never really cared for whole beans. Oddly enough I will eat pork and beans and will make them in to baked beans, but never cared for kidney beans. I like refried beans, especially after they are pureed. Mom always added a can or 2 of kidney beans in the chili growing up. It was great, I just had to spend a minute or two picking the beans out of it. But for those that like beans in it, I say go for it, it's your chili.

Top Bottom