APOD Firearms

Chipotle: Don't Bring Guns Into Our Stores!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Wow, way to set the Pro-2A movement back 20 years. Seeing those pictures, I would be watching those clowns VERY closely the whole time, questioning their actions, preparing to protect my family. I can only imagine what non-2A families were thinking. Not smart.

I have to agree with that Brains. I run into people that I steer clear of in public all the time. I make a quick judgement based on a number of things and decide whether I should stay or go. Based on what I see in these clowns at Chipolte I would have to say I would not want to be in the same room as them, armed or NOT! They might be just fine citizens, I have been wrong, but when coming into contact with strangers, armed or not, in public you don't have but a minute to figure if they mean you harm or not.
    Lynx Defense

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Wow, way to set the Pro-2A movement back 20 years. Seeing those pictures, I would be watching those clowns VERY closely the whole time, questioning their actions, preparing to protect my family. I can only imagine what non-2A families were thinking. Not smart.

The best way to protect yourself and your family is to leave the area ASAP when there is a question of your safety, not stay and watch them. And threats to your safety are more than just intentional criminal acts, but gun handling negligence which seems to be rampant with these clowns (in before someone claims the guns were empty, etc.)

And that is probably what some businesses are observing - customers walking in, and them immediately turning around and walking out.

Last edited:

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I have to agree with that Brains. I run into people that I steer clear of in public all the time. I make a quick judgement based on a number of things and decide whether I should stay or go. Based on what I see in these clowns at Chipolte I would have to say I would not want to be in the same room as them, armed or NOT! They might be just fine citizens, I have been wrong, but when coming into contact with strangers, armed or not, in public you don't have but a minute to figure if they mean you harm or not.

100% EXACT. I have not entered or left many a place based on ever changing situational dynamics.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    I have to admit, I'm surprised at the number of folks here who think that while OC is protected it is extreme and over the top when trying to educate.

If OC was the norm and legislation passed to allow it, why would a person OC?

If I were in a business with a weapon predominantly displayed and standing next to a person who has a weapon concealed, who would the bad guy go after first?
    It's kind of like the old joke about bear hunting. I don't have to out run the bear, just the other hunter.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    I have to admit, I'm surprised at the number of folks here who think that while OC is protected it is extreme and over the top when trying to educate.
    From your whole post I would guess that you were suprised in a good way, but I hate to assume - please clarify.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    Open carry of long guns was meant for those situations that warrant open carry of a long gun. It's not practical or comfortable for every day, 24x7, like a handgun is.

Like others have said, forcing it on people, especially when holding them in your hands vs. having them slung, etc., turns folks against us.

In a more rural setting? Sure, propping the rifles up near a table might make sense. In an urban setting? Unwarranted. Not illegal, unethical or immoral, just unwarranted.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    If OC was the norm and legislation passed to allow it, why would a person OC?

If I were in a business with a weapon predominantly displayed and standing next to a person who has a weapon concealed, who would the bad guy go after first?

Straw man. In OC states, this isn't happening enough to make news.

A simple example - I'm fat. OC would likely be more comfortable. Sure, throwing an overshirt on is simple... but sometimes I just need to run an errand, etc. Sometimes I look better with everything properly tucked, which may or may not be possible given my carry and attire choice of the day. Both are things I readily control, however, and take responsibility for.

Another - because I can. SOME people will want to enjoy the newness of it. Not the best reason, but not a bad one.

franzas

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2014
    Richmond, VA

A simple example - I'm fat. OC would likely be more comfortable. Sure, throwing an overshirt on is simple... but sometimes I just need to run an errand, etc. Sometimes I look better with everything properly tucked, which may or may not be possible given my carry and attire choice of the day. Both are things I readily control, however, and take responsibility for.

Another - because I can. SOME people will want to enjoy the newness of it. Not the best reason, but not a bad one.

this.

especially a quick errand or OWB w/ a tucked in shirt.

Also, in hot, humid weather it's better to carry OWB to keep sweat off the gun. If you're wearing a T-shirt for concealment, get ready to constantly fix accidental exposures. Easier to just tuck it behind the holster, OC and be done with it.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    From your whole post I would guess that you were suprised in a good way, but I hate to assume - please clarify.

Surprised as in I thought I was the only one thought the OCers typically seen are dumbasses and the stereotype.

Valid points, I completely understand and have no issue with OC. None.

Too many times, though I read the reasoning behind OCing is to teach the public and lessen the fear.
    From a marketing standpoint, you will miss the mark a lot more than hit it with that kind of mentality.

Again, if I walk into a business with rifle appropriately slung, how does John Q. Public differentiate me from another Adam Lanza?
    That is the hurdle OC advocates need to overcome. You don't accomplish that by "in your face" marketing.

Understand what you are attempting to do, understand the target audience and implement a sound, reasonable and agreeable strategy to get there.

Right now OC advocates have reasonable, sound folks working to change the mentality and you have OC advocates walking around like you see above.
    Who do you think John Q. Public will remember?

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Surprised as in I thought I was the only one thought the OCers typically seen are dumbasses and the stereotype.

That's not the message I meant to send. I apologize.

Surprised as in I thought I was the only one who thought that stereotypical OCer was doing more harm than good.

Poor choice of words and in too big of a hurry at the time.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

Valid points, I completely understand and have no issue with OC. None.

Too many times, though I read the reasoning behind OCing is to teach the public and lessen the fear.
    From a marketing standpoint, you will miss the mark a lot more than hit it with that kind of mentality.

Again, if I walk into a business with rifle appropriately slung, how does John Q. Public differentiate me from another Adam Lanza?
    That is the hurdle OC advocates need to overcome. You don't accomplish that by "in your face" marketing.

Understand what you are attempting to do, understand the target audience and implement a sound, reasonable and agreeable strategy to get there.

Right now OC advocates have reasonable, sound folks working to change the mentality and you have OC advocates walking around like you see above.
    Who do you think John Q. Public will remember?

That's the problem and the reasoning behind it. For the public to see guns and realize that it does not mean people will be shot.

Should people take pics in the restaurant, probably not. But we don't judge every gun owner by the actions of a few and the OC movement shouldn't be judged that way either.

As it stands, John Q. Public is getting a television full if terrible people with evil black guns doing evil things, whether real or fiction. The (responsible) OCers for the view of a person with a rifle that did nothing but go about his business without hurting anyone.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    That's the problem and the reasoning behind it. For the public to see guns and realize that it does not mean people will be shot.

Should people take pics in the restaurant, probably not. But we don't judge every gun owner by the actions of a few and the OC movement shouldn't be judged that way either.

As it stands, John Q. Public is getting a television full if terrible people with evil black guns doing evil things, whether real or fiction. The (responsible) OCers for the view of a person with a rifle that did nothing but go about his business without hurting anyone.

Exactly.

The public will never "realize it" regardless of do-gooder intentions because of the evil do-badders.

Again, I applaud your intentions, but just believe in my soul (and based upon 30+ years of marketing PR experience) that it won't happen with the current strategies.
    John Q. Public are lemmings and OCers are seen as nut jobs because the nut jobs are what people remember.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Missouri, Texas Consulate HQ
    Even if you don't agree with the tactics being used:

Instead of being embarrassed and offering an apology to the world why not explain how gun laws are pushing people to the point where they feel this is necessary?

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    The best way to protect yourself and your family is to leave the area ASAP when there is a question of your safety, not stay and watch them. And threats to your safety are more than just intentional criminal acts, but gun handling negligence which seems to be rampant with these clowns (in before someone claims the guns were empty, etc.)

And that is probably what some businesses are observing - customers walking in, and them immediately turning around and walking out.
    I don't mean to pick on you, because I understand your point. But does anyone honestly believe that if you are dining in a typical suburban restaurant with the wife and three children, and in walks two people with rifles, that getting everyone up and walking out the door is the best solution? Based on logistics alone, I would have to disagree. I have no preconceived notion what their intentions are, so I am most certainly not going to test the waters by drawing their attention. Observe and assess, that's what I'm doing.

Anyway.

For the chest thumpers, I get it - it's a display of our rights. What you likely don't realize, is how much you're working towards fueling the fires of taking away those rights through genuinely foolish actions. Some folks started to discuss it earlier in the thread, it's really about why you are wanting to open carry. If I see someone with a handgun in a holster on their side, that makes sense. If I see someone in the suburbs of a 6 million resident metropolitan area, walk into a restaurant with a rifle in his hands, that does not make sense. 20 miles out of town, well now it wouldn't seem so odd if someone walked into a restaurant with a rifle slung over his shoulder. Context means a lot.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I'd like to thank Chipotle for bringing, once again, to the national news attention to those who are fighting for the 2nd Amendment.

Many gun owners don't agree with the methods of who choose to protest by Open Carry of firearms. That's ok.

There is a building of frustration that gun rights are being attacked and a lack of movement in the legislature to clarify and strengthen laws to protect our freedom\rights from oppression.

As a gun owner I understand and even share their frustration and will continue to support those who lawfully and peacefully demonstrate to protect our rights.

Last edited:

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Even if you don't agree with the tactics being used:

Instead of being embarrassed and offering an apology to the world why not explain how gun laws are pushing people to the point where they feel this is necessary?

I said I had no problem with it, not that I advocate it.
    I don't see the point of OC personally. But that's me.
    I respect your right to OC as I'm sure you respect my right to not.
    It what makes America great ... two folks having somewhat opposite views, expressing them and remaining civil.

I'm offering some insight, based upon experinece in leading lemmings to water and convincing them they are thirsty, on how the current strategy won't meet the end goal.

matefrio

ΔΕΞΑΙ
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    I said I had no problem with it, not that I advocate it.
    I don't see the point of OC personally. But that's me.
    I respect your right to OC as I'm sure you respect my right to not.
    It what makes America great ... two folks having somewhat opposite views, expressing them and remaining civil.

I'm offering some insight, based upon experinece in leading lemmings to water and convincing them they are thirsty, on how the current strategy won't meet the end goal.

I wasn't directing my comments specifically at anyone. What I'm proposing is taking some national attention and turning it into a productive conversation about 2nd Amendment rights.

Seems like this has some gun owners running away from the issue like cockroaches when the light is turned on.

Last edited:

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    You can also thank those groups for the signs you will soon see at Chipotle.
    That's some back-ass-wards logic you're displaying there TXARGUY. First off 30.06 signs don't stop open carry of long arms but the bigger issue here is we will most certainly lose the right to open carry anything if we don't desensitize the sheeple to seeing long arms safely and legally carried by happy, law-abiding citizens. The concept of Creeping Normalcy has worked very well for other groups in society because they had the balls to push the envelope and it will work for us too....unless Homosexuals have bigger balls than gun owners. Secondly, how companies choose to act is on their heads, not anyone else's so don't blame people who OC for executives in Seattle or L.A. who wet their panties at the sight of a firearm. Lastly, have you ever been to Israel? It's amazing that stores and restaurants not just survive but thrive with all those nasty, evil weapons you see everywhere carried by their patrons.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Anbu9
    Top Bottom