• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    OK, I'm in Corpus, but an old friend up in Conroe sent me a question. His Baby girl was 20 when she took her CHL class, She waited the 6 days or so till she turned 21 and sent in her application. She was rejected and given 90 days to reaply. They DQ'ed her for her age. Huh????? He asked me about it and I sent an email to the State and this is the response I got.

I would suggest to have her call the 1-800-224-5744 and ask for the data entry supervisor section in order to help her. First of all she can’ be rejected and be given 90 days to reapply. I never heard of that. Only with rejection letters we give our applicants 90 days to respond back to the department with whatever documentation is missing or incomplete. So either she misunderstood or she got rejected for something else that was incomplete within his application.
    The age factor is not grounds for rejection as long as she is 21 years old.

:banghead:

Any opinions ?
    I have had this question at least three times in the last month. My opinion is that there is no requirement of age to take the class, only for applying for the CHL.
    Target Sports

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    You have to be 21 when you apply. She probably dated the forms on the date she took the class, and some data entry clerk mixed up those dates with the date of application. That is IF your friend's daughter was actually rejected for age.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    From what he read over the phone, she was rejected for being under 21. No other problems with the app.

"He" who? Who did "he" read it to, and what was being read?

Regardless, she should not have been rejected. Even DPS told you that, and gave you instructions. Someone screwed up, that's all.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Just to clarify " He who ?" is the friend of mine I was talking about. "What was being read?" was the rejection letter she got, and it was read "to me".

Yes, obviously someone screwed up.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Wow! That's too bad. DPS does make mistakes.

No kidding. My "J" license was late getting to me even though I applied on line in late September { it expires on 11/30} and on 11/30 I still did not have my license. I called and was told it was being sent. Two days later I recieved a certificate but no pocket card. I call back and ask if they did away with pocket cards for licensed instructors{ this is the first time I recieved a certificate} and was told no, it just did not get sent and they would correct it ASAP. a week goes by and still no pocket card, although on the website my status was updated to active with the new expiration date. I call again as I have a class to teach in about 3 days and really wanted the card in hand when the class began and was told that it was being sent out that day.

2 days later I recieve 2 pocket cards for the same license in two different envelopes. The next day I recieve a third card.The day after that a fourth card...lol I guess I am covered if I lose my card 3 times this year.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    No kidding. My "J" license was late getting to me even though I applied on line in late September { it expires on 11/30} and on 11/30 I still did not have my license. I called and was told it was being sent. Two days later I recieved a certificate but no pocket card. I call back and ask if they did away with pocket cards for licensed instructors{ this is the first time I recieved a certificate} and was told no, it just did not get sent and they would correct it ASAP. a week goes by and still no pocket card, although on the website my status was updated to active with the new expiration date. I call again as I have a class to teach in about 3 days and really wanted the card in hand when the class began and was told that it was being sent out that day.

2 days later I recieve 2 pocket cards for the same license in two different envelopes. The next day I recieve a third card.The day after that a fourth card...lol I guess I am covered if I lose my card 3 times this year.

Before you get a bunch of replies, the J license he is referring to is issued by the Private Security Bureau of the DPS. A J license is a private security armed guard instructor.

This is common for the PSB. I could tell you sooooo many stories. :banghead:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Before you get a bunch of replies, the J license he is referring to is issued by the Private Security Bureau of the DPS. A J license is a private security armed guard instructor.

This is common for the PSB. I could tell you sooooo many stories. :banghead:

And I would not call BS on any of them

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    I called pretty much every CHL class in SA, and I think only 1 told me to wait till I was after 21 to take the class.

So I guess it's okay to be 20 1/2 years old.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    The CHL100 (certificate you get when you complete the class) is valid for 2 years. As long as you are 21 when you apply and the CHL100 is valid it does not matter how old you are when you take the class.

Adionik

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2009
    san antonio
    The CHL100 (certificate you get when you complete the class) is valid for 2 years. As long as you are 21 when you apply and the CHL100 is valid it does not matter how old you are when you take the class.

Didn't know that, thank you.

The class is the 20th of this month, and I turn 21 on the 21st. Hah. I hope I don't get any problems.

Top Bottom