• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Went to dinner with my mom, sister and two nieces (11 and 13). As we were walking in, my 11 yo niece backhand swats at me after a funny comment from me. I wasnt looking and she tagged either the corner of the slide or maybe the hammer/beavertail of my 1911
    biggrin.gif
    I got the laughing "OW! What was that??" to which I simply replied, "duh, my abs of steel!" and started a new conversation to avoid any further curiosity. And no safety issues were present as the hammer was down, just FYI. Luckily they've grown up around guns enough that she wouldnt have given it a second thought and the problem would've been her next question of "Oh, a 1911, can I see it??" No. :p

Now, had I been able to fully exercise my right and OC'd here in the great state of Texas, that would've never happened since my scary killing tool would've been fully visible and "injury" avoidable.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Went to dinner with my mom, sister and two nieces (11 and 13). As we were walking in, my 11 yo niece backhand swats at me after a funny comment from me. I wasnt looking and she tagged either the corner of the slide or maybe the hammer/beavertail of my 1911
    biggrin.gif
    I got the laughing "OW! What was that??" to which I simply replied, "duh, my abs of steel!" and started a new conversation to avoid any further curiosity. And no safety issues were present as the hammer was down, just FYI. Luckily they've grown up around guns enough that she wouldnt have given it a second thought and the problem would've been her next question of "Oh, a 1911, can I see it??" No. :p

so you carry a club? ;)

A 1911 has a Thumb safety and a Grip safety. A child slapping the side of the gun is not a safety issue, even when carried in the proper condition.

Kudos for re-directing her thought process.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    so you carry a club? ;)

A 1911 has a Thumb safety and a Grip safety. A child slapping the side of the gun is not a safety issue, even when carried in the proper condition.

Gotta remember where the OP is. In Travis County, God forbid he should get into a jam and have to use the gun, he could be seriously jammed up by carrying it "cocked and locked"

We do not have CHL friendly prosecutors, and they will say the words "cocked and locked " 500 times to a jury. To someone who is not in the gun culture, "cocked and locked " sounds like some kind of Rambo term.

Remember, your lawyer has no say in how the Grand Jury is seated, and most people are not gunnies.

Sad state of affairs I know, but something to consider.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Agreed on both counts.

Gotta remember where the OP is. In Travis County, God forbid he should get into a jam and have to use the gun, he could be seriously jammed up by carrying it "cocked and locked"

We do not have CHL friendly prosecutors, and they will say the words "cocked and locked " 500 times to a jury. To someone who is not in the gun culture, "cocked and locked " sounds like some kind of Rambo term.

Remember, your lawyer has no say in how the Grand Jury is seated, and most people are not gunnies.

Sad state of affairs I know, but something to consider.

If someone wants to carry condition 3 and is confident they can draw/rack and still be effective (and I think you can) that's one thing. If you're a fear monger worried about hypothetical's more that the reason you carry, then leave it at home.

No offense, but that statement started out silly and kept on going.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    If someone wants to carry condition 3 and is confident they can draw/rack and still be effective (and I think you can) that's one thing. If you're a fear monger worried about hypothetical's more that the reason you carry, then leave it at home.

Hypotheticals should be taken into account to some degree. We are lax to terms because we enjoy it, but the soccer mom in the jury is scared to death when she hears "cocked-and-locked" and ".45 caliber semi-automatic". She envisions a belt-fed M60 totting Rambo character that's just itching to bayonet a herd of kids.

Then again, you have to get to the courthouse first.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    I normally carry condition 1, wasnt that day for some reason but practice both 1 and 3. And I know there wasnt a safety issue involved with cocked/locked but it IS the internet and people will flame regardless. CYA. Thanks for the kudos!

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Agreed on both counts.

Welcome to the world that is "Travis County". Austin did not get the name "Moscow on the Colorado" by being conservative, or by having good sense.

I live here and interact with the court system on a fairly regular basis.

North Texas is a completely different state. What may be ok there will get you hosed here. Just look at the DA's office. The thing with Tom Delay, you know, going to 4 Grand Jury hearings until he got a true bill.

The DA's office here is famous for this. But hey, carry anyway you want, but if you should be in a shooting, and you carry "cocked and locked", be ready for a prosecutor to use that phrase ad nauseam to 12 people who are not gunnies, and who were not smart enough to get out of jury duty.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Bologna. show me ONE incident of the method of carry being an issue.

Show me a transcript.

Its all BS

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Bologna. show me ONE incident of the method of carry being an issue.

Show me a transcript.

Its all BS

No, it is all conjecture. Quite a bit of difference.

Google Ronnie Earle Travis County DA. You will see then why conjecture might be a pretty good indicator of what could happens here. There are plenty of cases of him shopping GJs that make the national news.

Again believe what you want. Just don't be surprised.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Google Ronnie Earle Travis County DA. You will see then why conjecture might be a pretty good indicator of what could happens here. There are plenty of cases of him shopping GJs that make the national news.

YOU are making the statement, back it up. There is no evidence of what you allege. NONE.

Travis County is in TEXAS. Texas laws and jurisprudence applies there as well as it does the rest of the state.

Code3GT

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 12, 2008
    Austin
    Just for the record, even living in "OMGitssoliberalandantigun Travis County"...if I were forced to defend myself with deadly force as a last resort, and a GJ said indict, then let's dance. Facts are facts and "cocked and locked" or any other slang terms would be explained and any prosecutor's BS would be shoveled right out the door. I keep my ducks in a row, especially with DF since my LEO history would be used (against) me (somehow) by prosecution.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas

Since Ronnie Earl is out the door, do you think Rosemary Lehmberg will be continue the same reign as Ronnie Earl?

BTW, I've Googled as you suggested and came up with nothing really. He likes to go after big crimes against the state, but I can't find anything else so far. It wold be interesting to see though. As TX stated, this is Texas. I'd like to see where a DA in the heart of Texas behaving badly.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Texas CHL Holder-Saustrup Aquitted [Archive] - TheFiringLine Forums

Not a case of "cocked and locked" but a case of malicious prosecution.

The defendant is a friend, thank God he was acquitted, but it cost him almost everything financially. All of you keyboard commando types out there, think before you start talking out of your asses.:banghead:

He was originally "no billed" by a GJ. No problem here in the peoples republic of Travis. Just interview the GJ that no billed and try it on another.

Again, believe what you want. Hope your retainers are paid. Oh, and Ronnie's hand picked successor will prosecute just like him.

What is not mentioned in the story is that Joe Turner{ the defense} did not even put on a defense. That's right, went straight to closing arguments when the prosecution rested. The states case was so weak that he did not call a single witness. I say the state knew it was a loser case, and made an example out of Paul.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Just for the record, even living in "OMGitssoliberalandantigun Travis County"...if I were forced to defend myself with deadly force as a last resort, and a GJ said indict, then let's dance. Facts are facts and "cocked and locked" or any other slang terms would be explained and any prosecutor's BS would be shoveled right out the door. I keep my ducks in a row, especially with DF since my LEO history would be used (against) me (somehow) by prosecution.

Hope you have a good lawyer on retainer, or are wealthy enough to afford the best. Remember, no matter how well your defense explains gun slang, he still has to convince 12 people not smart enough to get out of jury duty.

Charley

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    San Antonio
    Welcome to the world that is "Travis County". Austin did not get the name "Moscow on the Colorado" by being conservative, or by having good sense.
    My goodness, I've been wrong a buch of years. I always thought it was "Sodom on the Colorado"! Live and learn.

Travis County's reputation seems to be well known to most in the state.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Texas CHL Holder-Saustrup Aquitted [Archive] - TheFiringLine Forums

Not a case of "cocked and locked" but a case of malicious prosecution.

The defendant is a friend, thank God he was acquitted, but it cost him almost everything financially. All of you keyboard commando types out there, think before you start talking out of your asses.:banghead:
    back at ya, Scooter. By your own admission this has NOTHING TO DO with the topic at hand. Your buddy chased him down, and I am sure that is why he was tried.

It is also a 10 year old case.

And before you go calling people keyboard commandos when they disagree with you and you can offer NO proof to support your position, how about you throw your credentials out there. I'll compare mine to yours.

I can also supply EVIDENCE of mine.

:banghead:

Top Bottom