• ...and so much more!
  • txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I heard a good story about this at work "a gun store in houston"

an officer was at a range and a man who had a legal stamped silencer was also at the range. the LEO promptly arrested the man for the possession of the item in question. when the got to the station the supervisor asked if the man had a stamp. the officer looked puzzled and said what?

the supervisor asked the arrested party about the stamp. the man said he tried to explain to the LEO about the stamp and what not but would not be swayed from his stand.
    the supervisor then promptly told the LEO to get the cuffs of the man and take him back and be apologetic for fear of a lawsuit for false arrest

I can see all of that except for the fear of lawsuit for false arrest. It was a valid and LAWFUL arrest. The supervisor showed a little more common sense. Not bad for a "gun store" story. :p
    ARJ Defense ad

Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    YES you can legaly carry it!

WILL the officer by the side of the road know that?? Doubtful.
    WILL he ask higher command for advice in the situation?? He MIGHT.
    CAN he arrest you for it?? He can.
    WILL you be charged with a crime?? Doubtful.
    WILL you be convicted of a crime?? NO, you have not commited a crime.
    WILL it be a pain in the ass resulting in lost time from work and initial out of pocket legal expense?? YES.

I for one (and I am NOT advising anyone else to feel this way) do not let what MIGHT happen keep me from doing what I KNOW is legal. If I get arrested and or charged for something that is not a crime I have lawyers that would be willing to take the case and the final outcome is that the arresting department will compensate me for any financial strain the ordeal has caused, and, most importantly, that department will ALL be retrained in the firearms laws, from the rookie patroll officer to the Chief, and that will ensure it won't happen to anyone else.

IF you shoot someone, regardless of the circumstances, and regardless of your choice of weapon, the "victims" attourney WILL try to make you look like the Big Bad Wolf. Wether you used the Nader "Safety Gun" or the "N*** Killer 3000" you WILL be raked over the coals. I keep a can on my home defense weapon because I don't want to explode my eardrums IF I ever have to discharge it in the house. I think that I could explain my safety reasons for suppressing the weapon in court, I could even state that I was worried about their clients hearing as well:)

Be SURE you are operating legaly, and don't worry about it.

My .02, I am NOT a lawyer, individual results may vary........

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Sorry for jumping in on the tail end of this conversation, but my question is:

WHY?

Why would you want a silencer on your concealed carry weapon?

This is not meant to be argumentative, but I can't see any case where I'd realistically want or need a silencer. Now, when my official James Bond 007 Super Spy ID badge and decoder ring comes in the mail, I might change my mind. :p

Coondog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2008
    i only want to carry the silencer on my weapon so it is ready to use. in the summer there are rattlesnakes a la madre and in the winter all the yotes come out and play. mind you most of those shots will be longer range than my nine can handle( the gun i am putting the can on). for that i carry i will carry a silenced .223. i am the type of person that is never left in the down and out. my pickup is completely rigged out. i have everything from air compressor to welder to tire bead breaker installed on the truck, all done in a manner that noone can even tell i have them. i know it seems far fetched but i am prepared for the worst. I have bad ears already and when i see what i want to shoot i dont want to waist the time to put the earplugs in or the muffs on as that requires both hands. with the can on both firearms i can draw shoot kill and nothing gets away. that is what my deal is. i do live in an extremely under populated area with much open land. and the LOCAL law enforcement are ALL my buddies. i know buddies will double cross you too but if i am legal i dont have to worry about it. so that is why. i am prepared.

Pawnshop

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 8, 2008
    Sorry for jumping in on the tail end of this conversation, but my question is:

WHY?

Why would you want a silencer on your concealed carry weapon?

This is not meant to be argumentative, but I can't see any case where I'd realistically want or need a silencer. Now, when my official James Bond 007 Super Spy ID badge and decoder ring comes in the mail, I might change my mind. :p

He is not suppressing his concealed carry weapon, he is carrying a weapon that is suppressed. Suppressing a predator controll weapon is a wise move in my opinion, snap shots are common at elusive targets and there is not always time to cover your ears, with a can you don't have to.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    He is not suppressing his concealed carry weapon, he is carrying a weapon that is suppressed. Suppressing a predator controll weapon is a wise move in my opinion, snap shots are common at elusive targets and there is not always time to cover your ears, with a can you don't have to.

What threw the thread off track was that he was talking about getting his CHL and carrying it. In his situation, the CHL really has nothing to do with it but because that's how he talked about it, it was assumed he'd actually be carrying it concealed.

But the thread finally died, then got dug up again for some reason. It's gotten old now that there's no drama.

jracca

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    DFW
    One more consideration.

It will be a pain in the ass if the thing gets stolen because you store it in your car.

Just my $.02

jwise

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 17, 2009
    Spring
    It's legal. If your lifestyle truly is as you have described, then you will be fine. I wouldn't recommend one on a defensive firearm, however...

TexZaa

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Cedar Park, Texas
    cruel and unusual

"...just another question, i mean its not like it lessens the blow. i have a very clean record, i mean squeaky clean, and i would rather stick my wiener in a meat grinder than screw that up....

Ok....simple question: Will the arresting officer or presiding judge offer a choice between meat-grinding our wieners or going to jail? That might fall under another Constitution point that concerns "cruel and unusual punishment".

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso
    Ok....simple question: Will the arresting officer or presiding judge offer a choice between meat-grinding our wieners or going to jail? That might fall under another Constitution point that concerns "cruel and unusual punishment".

Look, the way to avoid being arrested with a suppressor is to keep a copy of your paperwork with the suppressor at ALL times. I also keep a copy of State and Federal law pertaining to suppressors. Most LEO's won't waste their time charging you for something that you will beat in court. Not unless they just need something to charge you with.

Zero T

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Houston
    Look, the way to avoid being arrested with a suppressor is to keep a copy of your paperwork with the suppressor at ALL times. I also keep a copy of State and Federal law pertaining to suppressors. Most LEO's won't waste their time charging you for something that you will beat in court. Not unless they just need something to charge you with.

This.

I keep a copy of the state law and copies of my Forms 1&4 in an envelope that goes out whenever I transport a suppressor or SBR. I also have a copy of the forms in the suppressor pouch, and in the pistol grip of the AR. I would hope that I could convince a cop that it was a waste of time to arrest me over possession, should it come to that. But I guess it depends on the cop. As the old saying goes, you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride.

Top Bottom