CHL: Carrying while in the car

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by radioflyer, Oct 18, 2009.

1. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    those of you that have a CHL, do you carry on your person while in the car or do you keeo your gun within easy reach but not on your person? My car has bucket seats that don't lend themselves to either comfort or ease of access should the need arise. I'd been considering building a mounted holster behind the passengers seat back for concealed yet easy access. it would also make it easy to transfer from "car carry" to "concealed" prior to exiting.

thoughts?

2. Amistad

Amistad Member

Jul 11, 2008
    San Antone
    I like to keep mine on my person all the time. While driving, I usually have to "scoot" the holster (IWB) a bit one way or the other to find the most confortable ride, but it isn't bad at all. :happy0001:

Amistad

3. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    I usually keep it on me, but I think I might try something else, cause IWB isn't the easiest draw from inside a car seat.

4. tex45acp

tex45acp Active Member

Mar 13, 2008
    South Central Texas
    I have one tucked away in a blind cubby should I need to draw while in the car strapped in instead of trying to draw from the hip or pocket.

5. Texas42

Texas42 TGT Addict

Nov 21, 2008
    Temple
    Maybe a cross draw holster?

6. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Yes, I do both.

7. slowpoke

slowpoke New Member

Oct 16, 2008
    Brenham Texas
    I also do both.right side IWB and center console.:texas:

8. okie556

okie556 Well-Known

Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    When the driver.....I put my IWB left of belt buckle (cross draw) this gets my weapon ot of the way of the seat belt buckle. If I'm the passenger.........right side of my belt buckle.

9. thorkyl

thorkyl Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    Your taking the presumption there is only one in the truck...
    I don't remove mine from the hip, I do have one that is easier to get to in the truck.

10. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    It depends: IF I'm not in the truck long then definately leave it on the hip. Long trips I usually put it in the center console if I'm by myself. If my wife is with me then she has hers in her purse. I've considered ankle carry for long trips as it would be easier to get to (I think, have not tried it out yet). So far on person carry I haven't really explored other locations other than 3-4 o'clock and is not the easiest to get to while sitting in my truck.