• ...and so much more!
  • TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Hey, TI - be careful - ol' KA is really good 'bout not being able to tell the different between a discussion and a browbeatin'.

KA - rather than jumpin' down his throat, why not offer suggestions/options as to ways of securing a weapon when it has to be left in a vehicle? Then again, the poor schmuck that's needin' a gun just as he opens the door of his vehicle is gonna have to ask his assailant to wait while he gains access to it.

Bottom line - there's just no "right way" to do this. I've considered locking mine if I'm having to leave it in a vehicle - but that same issues stops me - what if I need it as I'm reenterin' the truck? Where possible, I keep it on me - where not, I leave it where I can access it quickly on returning to my vehicle - there's way too many times where folks are jacked as they enter their vehicles.
    ARJ Defense ad

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Hey, TI - be careful - ol' KA is really good 'bout not being able to tell the different between a discussion and a browbeatin'.

KA - rather than jumpin' down his throat, why not offer suggestions/options as to ways of securing a weapon when it has to be left in a vehicle? Then again, the poor schmuck that's needin' a gun just as he opens the door of his vehicle is gonna have to ask his assailant to wait while he gains access to it.

Bottom line - there's just no "right way" to do this. I've considered locking mine if I'm having to leave it in a vehicle - but that same issues stops me - what if I need it as I'm reenterin' the truck? Where possible, I keep it on me - where not, I leave it where I can access it quickly on returning to my vehicle - there's way too many times where folks are jacked as they enter their vehicles.

I didnt offer suggestions for 2 reasons, #1 absent mindedly, I didnt think of it at the moment. I was kind of shocked that someone on here was making a practice of leaving a firearm unsecured in a vehicle which anyone knows is not a good practice. #2 I had it in my mind to leave the statement sort of open ended expecting Thorkyl to respond to my post. Maybe he had it locked up and I was speaking too soon. I dont know. I did know that I wanted my point to be made though. In hindsight I should have approached it a little differently but it was Thorkyls place to respond to me in that instance, not Investigators. Investigator came across to me as simply wanting to be a jerk to someone and Im not going to tolerate anyone being a jerk to me without a response. My attitude was in direct response to his.

My question to you is, why arent you saying anything to Investigator about jumping down peoples throat? He had no place in that communication to begin with and instigated the whole thing. Again, my attitude to him was in direct response to his attitude in the beginning. If Thorkyl thought I was jumping on him unnecessarily, he should, and would have, in my mind, said something about it.

You are right about your bottom line, though. There isnt any single right way to go about it. I was speaking to the regular habit of leaving a firearm in an unattended vehicle as Thorkyl suggested he/she was doing. Everyones situation is different and thank God we all have the choice as to how we go about our lives. And you;re right again about someone being a poor schmuck that ends up looking down the barrel of some thug wanting their vehicle while they're unlocking their gun. In my mind, thats where awareness should cover you. I know there is no perfect scenario and we cant be 100% covered at all times but we have to strike a balance of preparedness vs safey and that was my basic message of my initial post.

I do think that most everyone would agree that making a habit of leaving your firearm unattended in your vehicle is a bad idea. If people disagree, let them say so. Everyone is entitled to disagree and have an opinion.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    KA...ever walked by a cop car? There's guns in THEM, too - and often NOT secured. They realize they may need 'em on a moments' notice - and if they do, they need 'em NOW. Same way many folks look at it. Generally speaking, there's one on me, and another in the truck. It's taken out overnight - but during the day, it's in there. Often, there's no choice - I'm in and out of a wide assortment of places, from Government buildings to hospitals - where carry is simply not allowed. By the same token, I'm not gonna spend my day unarmed because of that. The lock devices that I've seen...well, they SCREAM "steal me" - and frankly, they're pretty easy to rip out, which is what will usually happen. I prefer to tuck mine in one of several "hide-outs" in the truck that aren't obvious, but readily accessible to me.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Not more of this crap. Keep it on topic please. Maybe I'll have to make a whole other section dedicated to people arguing with each other. ;)

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Yeah, Ive walked by many cop cars. LOL Ive been in many cop cars and ALL the firearms Ive seen in them have ALL been secured in their own locking devices unless they are in a sally port where sidearms are locked in the trunk if they are left in the vehicle at all. In the departments I have experience with, Dallas PD, Dallas Marshals Office, and Dallas Sherrifs Office, if an officer were to have a weapon stolen from his or her vehicle, they would be in some serious sh!t. If you've seen it done anywhere recently, in a city of any decent size, Im almost certain it isnt a condoned practice. Id be very surprised if it were.

I do like racerxinhoustons idea about the lock box under the seat but thats a very specific scenario and most vehicles dont allow for that much room under the driver's seat. Its a great idea though.

KellyAsh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2009
    Roatan, Honduras
    Not more of this crap. Keep it on topic please. Maybe I'll have to make a whole other section dedicated to people arguing with each other. ;)

I think we're past that already Sig_Fiend. We're back on topic, I think. I do like your idea though...a Flame section....yeah !!!! Anything goes !!!! Wooohoooo!!!!

treyw

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2009
    Central TX
    Well, I keep a handgun on me everywhere I go, and usually there is a long gun in the truck. Either a shotgun or rifle in the event that the sh*t really hits the fan. As far as weapons in a patrol vehicle, well yea it is not hard to have a weapon stolen out of it. Yea there are gun locks on the guns, but if you've ever been in a patrol vehicle it doesn't take long to figure out how to get it out. Usually, there is a button on the control panel with a sticker that says in big bold letters, "GUN LOCK."

Yes it is a risk to leave a weapon in a vehicle because it could be stolen. It's also dangerous to leave guns in a wood and glass guncase when you're not at home. To each their own.

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    Well .. both .... I keep a .38 Taurus 85 in my glovebox but unless I'm running all drive-through errands I'm also carrying ... I normally use a paddle holster when the weather allows, so I carry cross-draw, making it easy to access the gun while seated if needed. I usually carry strong-side, so if you decide to try my method, you need to practice drawing from both positions regularly ...

Top Bottom