• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tool1075

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm not sure if I've posted here before or not... I know I'm registered (duh)... but I just can't remember ever posting. Anyway...

I finally got around to enrolling in a CHL class here in San Antonio. I enrolled at Wetmore Shooting Sports for their January 3rd class.

They had a special going for $50 (plus $7 range fee) and includes all the fingerprinting goodies, photos, and whatnot.

I have previously used them as FFL transfer agents for some firearm purchases, but I was just looking for some opinions of the class at Wetmore from any members here.

Anyone taken the class (or any other class) from Frank at Wetmore in San Antonio?

Thanks!
    DK Firearms

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I am using him as an FFL. My only problem was that it took me about thirty minutes of driving around to find his place. No sign. That is about 50 dollars cheaper than when I got mine. Good luck.

tool1075

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I am using him as an FFL. My only problem was that it took me about thirty minutes of driving around to find his place. No sign. That is about 50 dollars cheaper than when I got mine. Good luck.

Yeah, I've used him for an FFL twice... It's not the easiest place to find, and the first time getting there was a headache because of some construction. (Construction? In San Antonio? Really? lol..... sigh. :banghead:)

That's a heck of a deal! Use the other 50 and get an NRA membership if you don't have one! :)

Yeah... I should probably renew my NRA membership... it's expired. Perhaps I should just get a lifetime membership anyway....

I did a little bit of Google-foo on Wetmore, and I ran across this post on the HK forums:

HKPRO Forums - View Single Post - san antonio

I'm not sure when the author of that post took the CHL class, but hopefully the instructor at Wetmore (Frank) has improved since then. Every time I talk to the guy (Frank) I get a feeling he knows a lot because he's experienced, but that he also talks a lot of.... talk. Perhaps he needs to do a little more reading.

Anyway, hopefully the class goes well, and I'm going to try to get the most out of it as I can anyway- regardless of the instructor's knowledge, or lack thereof.

I'll report back after I complete the class, in 2 days. (it's this Saturday, on the 3rd).

tool1075

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    oh, and by the way..... I've been carrying my HK P7 in a Don Hume H721 OT holster around my house all day..... lol. My wife got me the holster for Christmas, and it's actually pretty damn good- especially for the price.

I wish they would just hand out the CHL's the day you take the class. But noooo you have to waaaaait.

Stupid wait.

tool1075

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    Well, I just got back from the class.

Good class.

The instructor (Frank) is very knowledgeable and experienced. He had several real-life experiences to share that were good learning examples for the class. He also has a good sense of humor. That said, if you don't follow his instructions exactly, he is not very forgiving (a good thing or a bad thing depending on the way you look at it I guess). I thought it was a good thing.

The range time was at Braken Range here in San Antonio.

There were some in the class who should have learned how to shoot and operate a gun properly BEFORE attending the class, but the instructor dealt with it in a very professional and safe manner.

I would definitely recommend taking a course from Frank. He's a good guy. I may post a more in depth review later... right now, I'm kind of tired from the 12 hours of class lol...

knayewesttx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    San Antonio, Texas
    Tool1075 I'm planning to take my CHL license at Wetmore Shooting this upcoming Saturday but I don't have a handgun to take for the shooting part. Do you know if they loan or rent handguns out for the shooting range part? What was the total price of class and everything? (It's MLK Day and they are closed, that's why I'm asking you)
    Thanks!

tool1075

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2008
    San Antonio, TX
    I'm pretty sure they don't loan or rent handguns.... but I could be wrong. Seeing as how they were personally checking everyone's handguns when we walked ing, and asking when the last time they were used...

Not to mention they repeatedly said we couldn't "share" handguns...

Maybe they will let you rent one from Braken Range when you get there to shoot the qualification.

Are you proficient with a handgun? Keep in mind that the CHL class is not a "teach me how to shoot" class.

It's a "teach me the foundations of what I need to know to carry a gun" class.

My cost was $50. You also have to pay the Texas DPS $140 (assuming you aren't former military, etc) when you send in your paperwork.

jasonpreyes

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    San Antonio
    Father and Son Combo

My father and I took Frank's class @ Wetmore and everything we needed to complete our CHL application was provided at the time of the class. My father and I had no issues getting everything through, even though not all the forms provided by Frank in the packet were the current version. My recommendation would be to go online and complete the application with a Credit Card prior to taking the class. I'd do this at least a couple of weeks prior to the class as they move a little slow in Austin :-). Like I said, the older versions did not cause us problems; however, it might be adviseable to make sure all your ducks line up in a row.

As for the class, it was thorough and kept a high level of involvement. I agree with a previous post that Frank does not mess around (I viewed this as a great thing). It became obvious there were some "less-than-prepared" individuals that are a little green when it comes to handling a firearm, and since everyone has to bring their own handgun, it is a good idea to lean on the strict side. POINT OF ADVICE, be involved but don't give stupid answers. Frank will have no problems identifying the people who (in his words) "are going to go to jail if they have to use their firearm." If you don't know and answer, be willing to listen and learn and he'll do a great job teaching you.

From a credentials standpoint, there are not too many instructors in this neck of the woods. Frank is associated with the SAPD, which is very helpful from a practical standpoint. He warned us that officers tend not to be very equipped to deal with CHL holders and he was right. I was pulled over last week by a Bexar County Sheriff (warning only!) and I informed him I was a CHL holder and that I was armed, but he didn't care. Kind of scary if you think about it. Frank will give you some really good advice when it comes to dealing with Law Enforcement as a CHL holder because he deals with them on a daily basis. I appreciated his words last week when the flashing lights were going off behind me!

All in all, Frank/Wetmore get two thumbs up. When you combine the teaching, the completeness of the processing and the cost, we who have taken the class should extend our gratitude. As a bonus, due to the affordable price, I was able to pay for my father’s class as a birthday gift and enabled a disabled, retired, veteran to walk with confidence and pride again. Thank Frank!

-J-

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    Tool1075 I'm planning to take my CHL license at Wetmore Shooting this upcoming Saturday but I don't have a handgun to take for the shooting part. Do you know if they loan or rent handguns out for the shooting range part? What was the total price of class and everything? (It's MLK Day and they are closed, that's why I'm asking you)
    Thanks!

I see an opportunity to purchase a new gun.

: )

Top Bottom