CHL Help

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by oldskewlsk8ter, Nov 24, 2009.

1. oldskewlsk8ter

oldskewlsk8ter New Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Lufkin
    I made a few mistakes in my younger days, and was arrested for PI a few times. I have a general idea, but don't know for sure, when/where these took place. From what I can tell I have to disclose all of these past arrests no matter how long ago they were? How in the world do I go about getting all this info. A good friend of mine, who is a local LEO, said he could only find info on one or two that were local. I know for a fact I had a few in other parts of the state. Should I just contact a lawyer and let them sort it out for me?

2. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    How old were you then, and how old are you now?

3. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    If they were, in fact, PI (Class C Misdemeanors), they'll have no bearing on your eligibility. Some instructors argue that two PI convictions in the past 10 years constitute chemical dependency, but DPS legal stated this only applies to Class B or higher DWI/DUI convictions. They added that testing positive on a drug test (reported through EMR) in the past year also constitutes chemical dependency.

TXInvestigator may have more specific information on this.

You do need to list them as best you can. You can invest a few bucks in a commercial background check to get the dates, assuming they even show up.

4. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Those instructors argue wrong;

5. DoubleActionCHL

DoubleActionCHL Well-Known

Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    STOP THE PRESSES!!!! We agree on something!!! :rofl:

6. oldskewlsk8ter

Nov 24, 2009
    Lufkin
    Between the ages of 18-25 then. I'm 37 now. All of the arrests except 1 were for PI. The most recent was almost 6 years ago and it was for UCW. I still have no idea how I go about finding all this info as it doesn't show up in a Publicdata check or when my buddy ran a check through his department.
    Edited for spelling, it sucks

7. Hawghauler

Hawghauler Active Member

Oct 5, 2009
    Idaho
    If UCW means unlawfully carrying weapons and that charge is a result of you not obeying the rules based upon previous convictions I would imagine you will not be eligable and I support your disqualification. Although I am morally opposed to most gun laws, I am not opposed to disqualifying those that demonstrate a pattern of disregard for the laws put in place for public safety. If you got in trouble and were given second and third chances at redemption you should have taken the opportunity for reform seriously. Sorry if I seem harsh.

8. oldskewlsk8ter

Nov 24, 2009
    Lufkin
    Not harsh at all, just ignorant of the facts of my case. Luckily for me, I am eligible now as it's been longer than 5 yrs since my deferment

9. oldskewlsk8ter

Nov 24, 2009
    Lufkin
    The more I look at this and try to understand wtf you are saying, the more it seems like reading comprehension is a stretch for you. I had 1 charge for UCW, about 6 years ago. It had absolutely nothing to do with any previous PI charges that I got 10 years prior. Seems pretty easy to see that the 2 have nothing to do with each other.

10. TxEMTP69

TxEMTP69 TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    Well the UCW being a Class A mis. (?) you will want to be sure of the dates, if it is over the 5 year mark you should be eligible barring you don't omit any info as to arrests dates, convictions, etc... If you recieved probation it might be 5 years from the date of completion of the probation for the UCW, someone else might be able to confirm that... or the app might..