• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    This actually happened by my Dr.s' office which is at the intersection of a couple of the streets noted.

Monday, September 8, 2008

Denton dog shooting incident emphasizes need for responsible pet owners

BY PEGASUS NEWS WIRE

DENTON — Around 7 p.m. on Sunday three dogs, a Pit Bull, and two Shar Pei-mixed breeds, were running loose in the area of Thunderbird Drive and Colonial Street in Denton. The dogs’ owner was aware that the dogs were running free, but felt that the dogs had been pinned up all day and needed exercise. The aggressive dogs frightened a few neighbors, including a couple pushing a small child in a stroller, by chasing them as they walked through neighborhood. An elderly female noticed the dogs chasing the couple with the stroller and called 911. At approximately 7:45 p.m., a resident on Augusta Street was taking out his garbage when the three dogs charged him and began trying to take his garbage. He threw his garbage can which struck the Pit Bull, and the three dogs ran around the corner. The man then retrieved his pistol and rode after the dogs on his motorcycle. The man said that he saw the dogs closing in on the elderly female, who had earlier called police about the dogs chasing the couple with the stroller, and he yelled for her to get inside of her home. The man then used his pistol to shoot the Pit Bull. All three dogs, including the wounded Pit Bull, then ran back to their owner’s yard

Animal control officers and police arrived on scene to investigate the incident. The owner eventually voluntarily released all three dogs to the officers. Animal control officers plan to cite the dogs’ owner for allowing the dogs to run at large. The man who shot the Pit Bull was licensed to carry a concealed handgun and no charges will be filed against him.

“This was definitely a bad situation that could have been much worse with allegedly vicious dogs running loose, and guns being fired in our neighborhoods," said Denton Police Chief Roy Minter. "The consequences of not properly looking after the welfare of your pets can be tragic.”

Source: Denton Police Department
    Denton dog shooting incident emphasizes need for responsible pet owners | pegasusnews.com | Dallas / Fort Worth

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What a crock of sh*t that police chief is. Notice how he says "allegedly" vicious dogs, and guns being fired in our neighborhoods, and says it's a matter of looking after the welfare of your pets. Uh, a big unequivocal HELL NO! It's about looking out for the welfare of your fellow citizens.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    You know, I love dogs. I have a pit bull that is 10 years old.{had 2 but had to put one down earlier this year due to cancer. he was 9} I also have 3 other dogs. THEY ALL STAY UNDER OUR CONTROL, ALWAYS:banghead:

I am sorry that this pinhead{ the dog owner that lets his dogs run loose so they can get exercise} was not charged. I am sorry that a dog had to be shot because the owner is an absolute jerk off that did not properly train his dogs.

Pit bulls are not bad dogs. A lot of people who get them are bad people

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas
    What a crock of sh*t that police chief is.

Wow. I post a positive CHL story about a local (to me) incident and the best you can do is to complain about a public policy comment by the police chief?

Well, if you feel that way, then how about emailing him yourself on the matter? The guy is actually very nice and responds well to public inquiry.

Here is a link where you can find what you need...

cityofdenton.com: Police Department

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Oh I'm not complaining about the story. I'm glad that no one ended up getting hurt. I just have no respect for people that have no respect for our second amendment rights and what they were intended for (defense).

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Oh I'm not complaining about the story. I'm glad that no one ended up getting hurt. I just have no respect for people that have no respect for our second amendment rights and what they were intended for (defense).

Um, he is only exposing the root of the issue. Had this guy controlled his dogs, ie. been responsible as an owner. Then the CHL holder wouldn't have to shoot at the dogs in a populated neighborhood.

Discharging a firearm in a populated neighborhood is risky since you are surrounded by houses.

That's all that is being said.

Double Naught Spy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2008
    North Texas

You must have read some other story. Not a single thing was said in the story that was contrary to the 2nd amendment or its intent. The 2nd Amendment makes no statements in regard to potential risks to others when acting in self defense or in the defense of another.

Floyd_Droid

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Shady Shores, TX
    You know, I love dogs. I have a pit bull that is 10 years old.{had 2 but had to put one down earlier this year due to cancer. he was 9} I also have 3 other dogs. THEY ALL STAY UNDER OUR CONTROL, ALWAYS:banghead:

I am sorry that this pinhead{ the dog owner that lets his dogs run loose so they can get exercise} was not charged. I am sorry that a dog had to be shot because the owner is an absolute jerk off that did not properly train his dogs.

Pit bulls are not bad dogs. A lot of people who get them are bad people

I agree with you. Unfortunately due to the pit bull's natural abilities, many breeders and owner breed them with the concept of obtaining attack dogs or for dog fights. The sad part is alot are inbred between litters, generation with next, making them viscous and screwed up.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    This is hilarious. A story about dogs being allowed to run loose has turned into a 2nd Amendment issue, inbred dog issue and "idiot" Police Chief issue.

It doesn't sound like the dogs were attacking anyone, but you never can tell what they may do. They certainly had their chance to if they wanted. They may be good dogs. There are a lot of good Pit's out there.

The owner wasn't looking out for the welfare of the dogs, by allowing them to run "at large" which is an offense in just about any city or town around here. A guy felt they could be dangerous, 'cause they could be and who knows, and he shot one.

The dogs running loose was dangerous. The shot was dangerous. The Police Chief just gave a statement to the media. The dog owner should be sitting in Denton City jail for the night until he can get a court date to so a Judge can smack him around a little then make him write the check for a fine for making a dumb a$$ decision as a pet owner.

Next case.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Josephn58333
    Top Bottom