• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ksquared

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    DFW Texas
    I got my plastic in the mail yesterday! It took 98 days.

On March 6, I prepaid my application fee online and received my packet in the mail a week later (including the PIN). I took my class and sent everything to DPS on March 16.

During the first 2 months, I checked the status of my application online every single day (sometimes twice a day). I read everything I could find on the internet about the best practices of concealed carry and searched for my dream holster. I went to the range as often as possible to improve my skills. I read and reread the Texas Concealed Handgun Laws.

As time slowly crept by, my excitement faded and my frustration grew. Eventually, I stopped looking for the perfect gear and let my supply of ammo run out. By day 90, I had come to accept that this whole CHL thing wasn't going to happen anytime soon (if at all).

Then, yesterday, the nondescript envelope arrived in the mail. For a moment, the sky was blue, the sun was shining, the birds were singing and I was happy! I stood there staring at the plastic that I had waited so long to receive. I felt the need to do a little happy dance!

Suddenly, the music stopped and the warm sunshine was replaced with the harsh light of reality. Why is my head SO big in the picture??? As I placed it in my wallet behind my driver's license, I thought to myself, "Well, I guess no one's going to see that ID..."
    Target Sports

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Congrats. I don't know what it is about the CHL pictures, mine is pretty bad too. I'm not sure you need to take a new picture at renewal time, but if you do, I'm getting mine done ahead of time.

ErnieNWillis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    I am on day 99 right now and my status is still "Processing Application". Did your status on the DPS webpage change before you received your plastic?

ksquared

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2009
    DFW Texas
    I am on day 99 right now and my status is still "Processing Application". Did your status on the DPS webpage change before you received your plastic?

About 3 days before I received it in the mail, the online DPS status changed to :
    Application Completed - license issued or certificate active

Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    I took my class on the 8th(of March) and Mailed my application the same day as you(the 16th) I did not recieve my pin number in the mail untill may 5th or so(I did not get my packet and PIN ahead of time.) The date on the letter is May 1st. Online it still says "processing application" Seeing your post is fustrating!!!!!!!!!! I am curious to know when did you or did you recieve a letter in the mail with the PIN on it or does that part get skipped being that you already had your PIN? I did mail it regular mail(With proof of mailing)and not first class(it's only going to Austin right? how long could it take? anyway, any help, advice or encouragement would be much appreciated.

ErnieNWillis

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    I took my class on the 8th(of March) and Mailed my application the same day as you(the 16th) I did not recieve my pin number in the mail untill may 5th or so(I did not get my packet and PIN ahead of time.) The date on the letter is May 1st. Online it still says "processing application" Seeing your post is fustrating!!!!!!!!!! I am curious to know when did you or did you recieve a letter in the mail with the PIN on it or does that part get skipped being that you already had your PIN? I did mail it regular mail(With proof of mailing)and not first class(it's only going to Austin right? how long could it take? anyway, any help, advice or encouragement would be much appreciated.

I too am frustrated! The DPS recieved my packet March 9, 2009. My status is still "Processing Application". I called the DPS and was told to try back at the end of the month.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport

If you did the app online then you already have your PIN, if not they will mail it to you... you can also send them an email request for it

Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    If you did the app online then you already have your PIN, if not they will mail it to you... you can also send them an email request for it

I wasn't interested in how he got his PIN I was interested more in the date on the letter he got(I should have been more specific I suppose) But It seems with the state there is no rhyme or reason to when you get your plastic some people get it pretty "quickly" and others have to wait much longer. Whatever the more I think about it the more the anticipation grows I might as well forget I applied and then have a nice suprise at the mailbox one day(next spring;))

Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Change of Heart

Like many of us here I talk a big game:
    Whatever the more I think about it the more the anticipation grows I might as well forget I applied and then have a nice suprise at the mailbox one day(next spring;))

So of course immeditally after typing that I went to the favorites list clicked on "Texas DPS-Crime Records Service" and filled in my information only to see: "Application Completed - license issued or certificate active " HORRAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I needed to share my excitement!!!!!!!! YAY!

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    took me exactly 90 days from class to plastic for my renewal; got it a few weeks ago ... and I won't tell you what my wife said when she saw the pic, but it wasn't what I would call a compliment ...

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    took me exactly 90 days from class to plastic for my renewal; got it a few weeks ago ... and I won't tell you what my wife said when she saw the pic, but it wasn't what I would call a compliment ...

She said you looked like a pedophile didn't she.

I know what wives say, I've seen my husband's ID pics over years. Not flattering LOL

bikerbill

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Lago Vista
    just went back and recounted .. it was actually only 75 days from class to plastic ... I applied online, had my pin, only checked once since my license didn't actually expire until mid-July ... gave it plenty of time, which I recommend to everybody if you're renewing ...

and pedophile wasn't it, I believe the exact word was "pervert." Well, she knows me pretty well ...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom