• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I've been looking at the requirements of becoming a CHL Instructor. Other than the forms required I've found little else.
    Where do the CHL Instructors on here do their classes and range certification? Is it possible to, for example, contact a Bass Pro and ask about renting the range for the required period of time?
    Can anyone recommend a range where a new instructor could make arrangements to use the range for instruction? I'm in NW DFW.
    Gun Zone Deals

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I've been looking at the requirements of becoming a CHL Instructor. Other than the forms required I've found little else.
    Where do the CHL Instructors on here do their classes and range certification? Is it possible to, for example, contact a Bass Pro and ask about renting the range for the required period of time?
    Can anyone recommend a range where a new instructor could make arrangements to use the range for instruction? I'm in NW DFW.

There are two aspects; you will go to the DPS range near Georgetown to become certified to be a CHL instructor.

Once certified as an instructor, you have to make arrangements on your own as to where you wish to teach your classes and where you wish to qualify your students.

NW DFW can cover a large area. Can you narrow that down?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    My city info is in my location tag under my name. I'm just outside Azle (Parker County), about 30 minutes NW of downtown fort worth.

You might just look up and call several ranges and see if they allow outside instructors to use the range to teach the classes.

There are some ranges who use a list of instructors for their classes; for example, DFW Gun Range uses contract instructors. They(the range) buy all of the TR100s at $5 each, (or I should say they did buy them, the TR100s have been replaced by CHL100 and are now free), they pay to have the fingerprinter and photographer there, they pay the notarization fee, have the classroom, range and do all of the advertising, scheduling, collecting money, etc. You show up, teach, complete your class completion form, go home and pick up a check a week later. They pay $200 per initial class, and $100 per renewal.

If you do your OWN classes, your costs are, depending on what YOU provide to your students; range fee, fingerprint fee, photo fee, notary fee, and classroom rental fee. If you charge what the average is, about $120 per student, then you net about $90 per student. If you have the student pay all fees in addition to your fee, then you can net more.

If you have only 5 students then you can make $475, much better than contracting. The pitfalls of doing your own are; getting students. EYERYONE wants to take a class and will promise to be there. Few of those show up though. I have learned to get the fee up front, refundable with ONLY 48 hours notice. If someone gets sick or whatever I will hold the fee for another class.

Then you have to make arrangements to shoot. Some ranges do not want to allow outside instructors. Some require you to have insurance, and some charge a higher fee than the regular range fee.

Someone asked about renting the range for a period of time; that usually is cost prohibitive, but an option nonetheless.

You need a place to teach the classroom portion. I have done those in private dining rooms for an individual (I have a minimum fee to teach less than 4) to office conference rooms etc.

You will have to make copies of the test, answer sheets, etc. I made my own powerpoint presentation and bought a projector.

I write none of this to dissuade you, but just to give you some awareness. Hopefully some other instructors will jump in here too.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    Thats great advice txinvestigator

I'm a notary public, and I'm fairly certain my local PD would 'certify' to DPS I was 'qualified' to do the prints myself.

I read that DPS changed the rules recently regarding certified ranges and allow CHL instructors to certify a range is safe. Which got me all excited at using the 10 acres I live on to do range qualification, until the wife got wind of the idea

DirtyD

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    Spring
    I do all my own prints/photographs/notary services, mskes life alot easier. I will caution you though, being a CHL instructor is not the gold mine many people think it is. I make enough off of one or two classes a month to fund this nasty firearms habit I have, but probably wouldnt rely on it as my sole source of income. I do not advertise, instead I serve as the Staff Instructor at my friends gun shop. I would recomend doing a little research in your area, see how many instructors you will be compeating with (you can find this info on the DPS websight), are there facilities available for class rooms? How will you advertise your service? Is the market in your area large enough? Will you offer private lessons? If so at what cost? Just a few ideas...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2009
    DFW
    I think most points have been covered. TXI hit a lot of it on the head, especially with the people promising to show and then canceling.

The class for new instructors in 2009 was the 3rd week of June. I would imagine the 2010 class will most likely be around that same time. No promises though.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    I'll have to agree with TXI, pretty good info there. I do everything but the prints, and have a lady from county use my equipment to do them. I also use a projector and a powerpoint presentation which I am constantly tweaking. LOL I'll vouch for the comment that people will say they are coming and then don't show. Your friends will be the worst about it. Heck I started getting deposits and still had people no show, I now get the full fee up front when they sign up.

I also agree with D, there is a lot of competition, and the lowballers screw it up for everyone.

Dps will post the date for the next class a couple months ahead of time. When you send in the app for the instructor class, you will have to be printed again. You could plan ahead and get that done beforehand, also double check which address to send the app to. Don't ask me how I know. LOL

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    When you send in the app for the instructor class, you will have to be printed again. You could plan ahead and get that done beforehand, also double check which address to send the app to.

I completed the application online, DPS sent me a preprinted application form (containing all the info I entered on the web site), along with a return envelope (I'm hoping this was the right address). I had my prints done yesterday at L1 in Fort Worth.
    A warning to anyone having electronic fingerprints taken - the prints are not sent to DPS for you. You will be given two fingerprint cards with the electronic prints they took just printed onto them. This nearly screwed up my application as I considered getting the application in the mail the morning I was going for my prints, presuming electronic prints would be delivered to DPS electronically.

DPS claims ink prints have a 25% rejection rate, whilst electronic prints have a 2% rejection rate.

Seabear1500

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Corpus Christi
    Pony , you are correct, you have to mail the cards with the app. When my prints are done in ink they are always rejected. Sucks cause I always have to go to San Antonio to get Digital prints. They can be take here in Corpus but thewy can't print the cards. That is why I was giving a heads up on the prints for the instructor course.

When I took the Inst. Course there were many people that passed but were not going to get their Certificate till the problems with their apps were cleared up. This like you said is normally prints.

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I doubt that. I don't know about other instructors, but we have a very low print rejection rate. I'd venture to say it's at or below 1%.

These figures were quoted by DPS in the application packet they sent out.
    fast.jpg

Pony

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Azle, TX
    I don't doubt they said that. I simply doubt it's accurate.

Why do you suppose they prefer electronic over traditional, if they both arrive on the same piece of card?

I presumed electronic would be just that, delivered electronically. I sure was surprised when they gave me a regular old piece of card with the electronic prints just printed on them. I presume these get scanned back in when they reach DPS, which is going to result in poorer quality than having the original electronic prints.
    I recently had to go through biometrics for my US citizenship and the machines operated in a very similar way (albeit USCIS machines were much larger and probably cost 100 times as much to make). USCIS charged me $80 for prints, L1 charged me $9.95. I was told some PD's charge $10 per card, my local PD offered to do it for free.

DoubleActionCHL

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2008
    Spring, Texas
    Why do you suppose they prefer electronic over traditional, if they both arrive on the same piece of card?

I presumed electronic would be just that, delivered electronically. I sure was surprised when they gave me a regular old piece of card with the electronic prints just printed on them. I presume these get scanned back in when they reach DPS, which is going to result in poorer quality than having the original electronic prints.
    I recently had to go through biometrics for my US citizenship and the machines operated in a very similar way (albeit USCIS machines were much larger and probably cost 100 times as much to make). USCIS charged me $80 for prints, L1 charged me $9.95. I was told some PD's charge $10 per card, my local PD offered to do it for free.

There is some truth to the contention that the electronic prints are better than ink. Difficult to print folks tend to print a bit better using the electronic method. There is also the rumor that the state gets a piece of the action, but what do I know?

For most people, the ink prints do just fine, if the printer knows what he/she is doing.

Top Bottom