CHL Instructor course

Seabear1500

Mar 21, 2009
Corpus Christi
Well, after hassling over lost paper work I have been accepted for this year's course. I know there are others here who are instructors and I was wondering if any of you could tell me what to expect.

I'm really looking forward to it and to teaching the course. I have seen some really poor instruction here in Corpus Christi, and as a former educator I think and hope I can do better.

Any advise you guys or gals can give would be greatly appreciated.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
They will basically teach ya'll the course. You will also hear from the people in charge of the CHL processing division as to how paperwork should be done, etc. They will go over in detail the government code sections of the CHL laws, on and on.

The range portion is simply a qualification. You must score 90% or better to pass, and you must shoot both a revolver and semi-auto.

You should enjoy it. Are you doing the 3 day or 5 day?

Seabear1500

Mar 21, 2009
Corpus Christi
They will basically teach ya'll the course. You will also hear from the people in charge of the CHL processing division as to how paperwork should be done, etc. They will go over in detail the government code sections of the CHL laws, on and on.

The range portion is simply a qualification. You must score 90% or better to pass, and you must shoot both a revolver and semi-auto.

You should enjoy it. Are you doing the 3 day or 5 day?
I'm in the 5 day course.:1zhelp:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
I'm in the 5 day course.:1zhelp:
lol

I did the three day, but I believe the other 2 days is on learning methods of instruction. Sort of an instructor development mini-course.

I was already licensed by the DPS as a Private Security Bureau Classroom and Firearms Instructor, so I guess that qualified me for the shorter course.

The days can be long, and a few of the instructors can get boring; some of the other students will get on your nerves. ;)

Overall you should have a pretty good time.

DirtyD

Well-Known
Sep 20, 2008
Spring
I will be doing the three day, Military service helps... They said something about a test on the first day?

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
May 28, 2008
Mustang Ridge
LOL I really wish DPS would post on their website what the cut off date is for the registration. I swear I did not see it again this year. I guess I will just register in January;)

Top Bottom