• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gchild00

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2011
    San Antonio
    I have two questions. I am a CHL holder on occasion I have to pick up my daughter on a military base. Is it illegal for me to have the firearm in my vehicle ? How about on my person ? Also planning on purchasing a firearm from a friend not going through FFL so it wont technically be registered to me. I plan to have it on me while jogging. If I have to use the weapon to protect myself is there going to be any ramifications for me using a firearm that is not registered to me? Thanks been wondering about these questions for some time now. Been a while since taking the CHL class.
    Lynx Defense

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There are no firearms registered to you in Texas. We don't do that here..

Regarding carry on a military base, you best bet it to call base security and ask. A mistake could land you in a federal prison.

BTW, welcome to the site.

propellerhead

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Most USAF bases I know will tell you to let the front gate guard know you have a personal weapon. They will instruct you to the armory where you can check it in. It will remain there while you do your business on base. When you are ready to leave, go to the armory to sign it out, then head straight out the gate.

I've done this at Dyess AFB. NAS Fort Worth JRB has a strict no guns policy. As stated above, best call ahead.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    It is a contentious issue, but the bottom line is that the only base that I know of in SA that allows weapons on it is Camp Bullis, and even then they have to be registered at the Hunting Lodge and only to go to the range.

Most likely you will not be able to bring it on any other base. Lackland has huge signs quoting USC Title 18 Sec 930 which is incorrect as that statute says "facilities" (buildings); but in researching it with the Security Forces I was told it is the base commander's policy and you will be in deep shit if caught.

And while some may argue that a subsection of USC 18 Sec 930 states "Subsection (a) shall not apply to (3) the lawful carrying of firearms or other dangerous weapons in a Federal facility incident to hunting or other lawful purposes," I have heard of at least one case where someone on Lackland was charged for bringing a personal weapon on base. I for one am not going to risk my livelihood to test what "other lawful purposes" means in Federal court...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I have been told that "lawful purpopses" is usually interpreted as LE functions (according to the guy at the gate that I talked to several years ago). I have been on Lackland numerous times on official business and have never been challenged. As far as civilians go I can see that it could get rather hairy.

Mikey

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    San Antonio
    Most USAF bases I know will tell you to let the front gate guard know you have a personal weapon. They will instruct you to the armory where you can check it in. It will remain there while you do your business on base. When you are ready to leave, go to the armory to sign it out, then head straight out the gate.

I've done this at Dyess AFB. NAS Fort Worth JRB has a strict no guns policy. As stated above, best call ahead.

This is the best answer. I could expand further, but it's really not going to help you much. Your best bet is to call the Lackland base operator at (210) 671-1110 and ask for the LE Desk. Ask the Desk Sergeant what the policies are, and what steps you need to take.

That's assuming, of course, that you're talking about Lackland. For questions about Ft Sam or Randolph, you'll need their phone numbers. If you need those, PM me.

Willy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2009
    Ellis County
    NAS Fort Worth JRB has a strict no guns policy. As stated above, best call ahead.

You aren't lying. I left my gun home when working there last week. When they searched my truck, they freaked out over a 20 round box of ammo that I put in my center console months ago. They confiscated it and "turned it over to investigations". They let me go on to do my job, but they said that I could be banned from the complex. I think they are full of it. I'm tempted to call in sick if their emergency power equipment breaks. I don't want the hassle. It's their loss.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    1qwerty
    Top Bottom