• ...and so much more!
  • Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/

Is this the actual CHL online application (first step in applying) or is this some sort of pre-eligibility screening and I will still have to send in the actual application? And if it is the application, I assume I should be prepared to pay the $140 at the end of it???

Also, again, if this is the actual application, do I have a set amount of time to take a class and fingerprinting?

Thanks
    DK Firearms

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I took the class first and the application process was better explained. You will fill out this questionaire online and yes, they will want the 140 bucks when you are done. Once you take the class, get the photos, get printed you then send the entire packet off to Austin.

I took the class, then filled out the application online, that night. Made the appointment to get printed that next Saturday and mailed the forms, certified mail, that day.

I read in here somewhere, that you have one year to complete the process or you are then removed and have to start all over, losing your 140 bucks.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    There is no difference, but I just found it easier to get some of the paper work out of the way by doing it on-line. Back 6 or 7 years ago when there was a stampede to get CHLs it seemed that people that pre-did their applications on-line got quicker turn around, but that was anecdotal and I say that based on the guys/gals I went through my initial class with. Of those that I knew when they got their CHL, the ones that prepaid on line got their's a bit sooner. I don't think it means much today other than it seems easier. I did it on line for my renewal, and got my license in three weeks.

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    Sounds good and thanks all for the facts. I'm not in a real rush, just figuring I should get started, so I figure I'll start online and then do my class and fingerprints. It also helps to spread the money out over a few months.

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    Once you fill out the application, be sure to check back twice a day to check the status....

articfox

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2012
    Dallas
    I completed my application but didn't submit because I had a residential move coming up and needed to use the new address. I changed my address on my DL so that it would match my CHL, and then find out that doing so killed my application. Do over!

2slow

TGT Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 1, 2012
    beaumont
    I completed my application but didn't submit because I had a residential move coming up and needed to use the new address. I changed my address on my DL so that it would match my CHL, and then find out that doing so killed my application. Do over!

Same thing happend to me my drivers license and current address didn't match so i logout and get new dl and have to start all over agian!

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Just wanted to add a quick question in here in case someone might know the answer. I'm going through mine right now, did the online app and have my barcode number, taking the class here very soon. I was honorably discharged in April so I fall into the active duty/honorably discharged past 365 group, it says I have to send in a copy of my military id then on the next step it says "current leave and earnings statement; or current orders; or current pay stub; or letter from commanding officer; or DD-214 showing honorable discharge and date (if application is within 365 days of discharge)" I know I have to send in a copy of my DD-214 but do they also want a copy of my expired military id or just the DD-214 since I'm out? I'm assuming better be safe than sorry but was just curious if someone might know.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    Just wanted to add a quick question in here in case someone might know the answer. I'm going through mine right now, did the online app and have my barcode number, taking the class here very soon. I was honorably discharged in April so I fall into the active duty/honorably discharged past 365 group, it says I have to send in a copy of my military id then on the next step it says "current leave and earnings statement; or current orders; or current pay stub; or letter from commanding officer; or DD-214 showing honorable discharge and date (if application is within 365 days of discharge)" I know I have to send in a copy of my DD-214 but do they also want a copy of my expired military id or just the DD-214 since I'm out? I'm assuming better be safe than sorry but was just curious if someone might know.

Just the DD 214.

lalonguecarabine

A legend in my own mind!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2009
    Houston
    https://txapps.texas.gov/txapp/txdps/chl/

Is this the actual CHL online application (first step in applying) or is this some sort of pre-eligibility screening and I will still have to send in the actual application? And if it is the application, I assume I should be prepared to pay the $140 at the end of it???

Also, again, if this is the actual application, do I have a set amount of time to take a class and fingerprinting?

Thanks

I waited till the night before the class, did all the stuff online, printed out everything I needed (barcode, etc.), made an appointment for the fingerprints, and then took all that stuff to class. They took up the barcode, my DD 214, etc, and I was able to tell them when I was getting my fingerprints done if they asked (which they didn't ).

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I waited till the night before the class, did all the stuff online, printed out everything I needed (barcode, etc.), made an appointment for the fingerprints, and then took all that stuff to class. They took up the barcode, my DD 214, etc, and I was able to tell them when I was getting my fingerprints done if they asked (which they didn't ).

Your instructor took your DD 214 and barcode page? What did he do with them?

Top Bottom