• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I'm now in my 70th day waiting on CHL renewal I've read on other gun boards that DPS agents have called applicants asking additions questions, anyone had this happen or heard of such.?

I just received permission to add this posting:

"Just heard of something that occurred last night. An acquantance, who is 110 days waiting for his CHL renewal, received a phone call from a DPS agent around 9pm. Agent went through the questions on the application plus some that weren't. One was "Why do you want a CHL?" The man was also told the DPS would be doing a lot more of these phone interviews. We've suggested that he file a complaint with Rep Joe Driver and find out WTF is going on at DPS. Yes, we know DPS has been hostile to CHLs since day one back in 1996, but this needs to stop. If this has happened to any one here, contact me, Doug Moreland,Acting Director TSRA, Charlie Cotton, an attorney that works with TSRA and Rep Joe Driver, who has been a great help in the past."
    Hurley's Gold

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I'm now in my 70th day waiting on CHL renewal I've read on other gun boards that DPS agents have called applicants asking additions questions, anyone had this happen or heard of such.?

I just received permission to add this posting:

"Just heard of something that occurred last night. An acquantance, who is 110 days waiting for his CHL renewal, received a phone call from a DPS agent around 9pm. Agent went through the questions on the application plus some that weren't. One was "Why do you want a CHL?" The man was also told the DPS would be doing a lot more of these phone interviews. We've suggested that he file a complaint with Rep Joe Driver and find out WTF is going on at DPS. Yes, we know DPS has been hostile to CHLs since day one back in 1996, but this needs to stop. If this has happened to any one here, contact me, Doug Moreland,Acting Director TSRA, Charlie Cotton, an attorney that works with TSRA and Rep Joe Driver, who has been a great help in the past."

I am calling BS for several reasons. First, I just flat don't believe a DPS officer called this person and asked such a question.

Second, DPS is not "hostile" to the CHL program. In fact, they are very supportive and EVERYONE I have dealt with has been extremely helpful at DPS.

Third, Texas is a "shall issue" state. It matters not the reason a person wants a CHL. You don't need a reason.

Let's try to not spread these moronic internet rumors.

Oldguy; DPS should process a renewal within 45 days. Have you called to inquire as to the status. Be sure and get the name of the person you speak to. Be nice when you call, they are good folks down there.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Let's try to not spread these moronic internet rumors.

Oldguy; DPS should process a renewal within 45 days. Have you called to inquire as to the status. Be sure and get the name of the person you speak to. Be nice when you call, they are good folks down there.

Was not my intent to "spread" rumors what I was seeking was information from others on this board like you I highly doubt calls at 9pm from an "agent" rather I could believe it may be a reporter looking for a story to write.

Yes, I have contacted DPS couple times, and I am "always" polite when doing so,I normally get an answer of "in process.

I have worked in various organizations over the years and as you say many good folks however many of those seem people sometimes were less then concerned in doing their jobs so let us not confuse good folks with good work.

TxEMTP69

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Rockport
    ALL of the troopers I know support CHL's for several reasons as stated by them to me personally. 1st they are generally law abiding citizens, 2nd and the most stated often times on the highways they have been assisted in some precarious situations by individuals who held CHL and stopped to assist the officers whose backup was miles away. This is what was stated to me and I've yet to meet a trooper who is opposed to CHL's, I'm sure there out there, but i haven't met one.

oldguy

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    I'm sure there out there, but i haven't met one.

Same here neither have I, but I have seen management of various Law
    enforcement agencies state they don't like it but in my opinion its
    political speak. All one needs to do is take a look at DC people say what
    is PC to increase their change of advancement.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    There is one line attorney down at DPS who is.....let's say left leaning. ;)

Even at that she spoke far last left two years ago than she had before. I am anxious to see if she has come around more this year at Instructor Renewal School.

Top Bottom