• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    OK, I am in the process of renewing my CHL, so I go online and pay and get the checklist. So far, so good. Last night I got the renewal academics done, pass the test, and this morning I had no problems qualifying.

Now I have my CHL-100 Training Form signed and ready to go, and a copy of my DD-214 isn't no biggie either; but there are two more required items on my checklist that have me stumped! :(

First is one that says "Supporting documentation for condition." Eh? What condition? I am applying for the veteran's discount but I thought the DD-214 covered that. What other conditions could they be talking about?

Secondly is one that says "Born out of Country Documents." Yes, I was born in Germany, but doesn't the fact that this is a renewal mean that I've already met and proven my US and Texas residency requirements?

The checklist says "all items listed on your checklist are required," but my CHL instructor last night stated that the checklists are blanket ones, i.e. not tailored for each individual.

This is my first renewal and I still have over four months before my license expires, but I like to take care of these things well in advance when possible.

Oh, and I've heard the turn-around on renewal applications is running 30-45 days. Does that sound about right?

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Thanks, I've got it; it's in the paperwork they sent me for the renewal.

I'll give them a few days to reply to my email, and if I don't hear back from them I will try calling.

I'm not in a huge rush, my current license doesn't expire until February 2011...

Cheers! M2

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    Just to let everyone know, I did get a reply on Monday morning at 8:45 to the email I sent on Saturday concerning my CHL renewal package. Good on DPS for such a quick response.

The "supporting document" I needed was my DD-214 (which the checklist already had listed), so that's done!

My "Born out of Country" documents needed were listed on CHL-40. I still don't understand why I have to prove US citizenship on a renewal, but to be safe I am not only sending them a copy of my certificate of citizenship, but will also send them a copy of my US State Department certificate of a foreign birth since my parents were both US citizens when I was born (my father was in the US Army serving overseas, and my mother a naturalized US citizen from Germany) as well as my current US passport (which was issued in Belgium, of all places, and lists my place of birth as Germany! ).

You'd think my 25 years in the USAF--documented on my DD-214--would be enough to prove US citizenship, especially since I was later a commissioned officer (you must be a US citizen to be a commissioned officer); but apparantly not.

The Air Force will let non-citizens enlist, but not re-enlist as it is a Reenlistment Eligibility (RE) Code of RE-2I (Non U.S. citizen serving on initial enlistment). RE Codes are contained on military discharge documents and determine whether or not one may reenlist or enlist in a military service at a later time. When I was stationed in the UK, I jumped with a Canadian who was in the USAF. He had to get his citizenship before he could re-enlist.

Anyhow, my renewal package is complete and will be in the mail tomorrow; but anyone born overseas should make a note of the "Born out of Country" information requirements listed above.

Cheers! M2

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Hello Major. I'm glad you asked this question. You see, when I obtained my initial CHL I was a resident alien. Yes, that is what it is called when one is properly documented. That means I was a permanent resident of the USA. When I did my first renewal, my status had changed to US Citizen. I just sent them a copy of my US passport -- which I requested the day after my swearing in ceremony. No issues.

I was wondering if the issues would be the same for a citizen born outside the country.

So my question is, when I do my second renewal will I need to send a copy of my passport again? Not a big deal, just wondering.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Helotes!
    I was wondering the same thing, as I was born a US citizen, just overseas as my father was military stationed in Germany and my mother a naturalized US citizen.

To be honest, I don't recall having to provide any of this information for my initial CHL application. That said, it has been over four years and I may have forgotten; but it still doesn't make sense either way that I have to prove my citizenship during a renewal!

But I guess I'll have to wait until my next renewal to find out for sure.

Oh, and by the way, I work with a "foreigner" who has a Texas CHL. He is a citizen of another country but stationed here, and was able to get his CHL (he does have Texas DL as well). I thought that was pretty cool, especially considering how strict gun laws are in his home country...

Cheers! M2

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    Yup. I am from Canada. Isn't America the greatest country in the world? The government elite in Canada wants to register everything. I think they forget the British tried that more than 200 years ago. We see how well that worked. :)

Anyway, for my initial CHL I had to provide them with a copy of my green card or Form-151 as it is officially called. For my renewal I provided them with a color photocopy of my passport as proof of citizenship. By the way, scanning the new passports is a pain the butt. It is very difficult to get good contrast. I'm guessing that is on purpose.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    sephiroth0085
    Top Bottom