CHL-Texas With Ross Bransford in Austin, Tx

Discussion in 'Texas Concealed Handgun (CHL)' started by Austin, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Austin

Austin Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Has anyone on this fourm been to this class
    I went in March and took the class. I'd be lying if I said that it wasn't entertaining......but I feel really Ill informed. He told fabulious stories about his childhood, the wars he had taken part in, times when carrying a firearm saved his life.
    But as far as where you can and can't carry and for what reasons he only spent 10 min on tops.

While he yaked on and on about his storys he really didn't give us any real information untill the last hour or so of the class. The bulk of that in the last 15 min before the class. I passed with a 96 but I literally had just been given all of the answers mere moments before the test. He did spend a fair amount of time trying to scare the crap out of us as far as the legal ramifications of what happens when and if you do have to pull that trigger. Which is good I think But as far as defining a sign that says "No guns" from a legal sign that prevents a licensed CHL holder from carrying his firearm in is extreamly grey to me.

Are all of the Chl Classes that vague? I have read through my texas department of public safety CHL manual but, in there it is written with such difficult language that I have to spend some time decifering it.

Has anyone else had an experience like this? Or do I just need to do a crap load of research before I go out in public packin'? Oh yea' and to top it all off at the end of his class as if i threat he says something to the effect of If you report to the state that you found this class insuffecent then they will take my licnse to teach this class and I would have to go take another class and spend the money for the class and the 140 to the state all over again.

If nothing else does anyone have any good suggestions on places to do research online?

2. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    You're sitting on it. Tons of threads on the subject here, just learn how to use the search feature.

3. txinvestigator

txinvestigator TGT Addict

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    That is unprofessional and unfortunate.

I'll post the sign at the end of this post.

Absolutely not!

That is not quite true. The fact that he even mentioned it tells me he knows his class is insufficient, but he does not care. Guys like him are a disservice to his students, the CHL program, other instructors and the general public.

To suspend the licenses of his students DPS would need specific proof that the specific class you were in did not meet the requirements of the law. If you report him DPS will likely send an undercover in to "monitor" the class. This needs to be done.

Start right here. Ask away and we will be glad to help.

Your 30.06 sign;

The letters must be block style, at least 1" tall and posted in contrasting colors conspicuously visible to the public.

If that notice is outside you cannot enter with your handgun. If you see the notice after you enter, then you cannot remain with your handgun.

The 30.06 law does not apply to places owned or leased by a government entity. (except for those places already covered under 46.03 and 36.035 of the penal code.

4. guardrail

guardrail New Member

Mar 19, 2009
    Richmond, Tx
    wow, there was six of us (three couples) that our class in January 2009 at topgun
    in houston and the class was ful of helpful information. the instructor was very good.

5. Austin

Austin Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    I did forget to mention that it was a one day class. So I kind of expected everything to be a bit abriviated but I am glad to hear that not all CHL classes are like mine. I'll spend the time to be confident in the laws before I go carrying just any 'ol place. I did know I could look through the CHL Fourms on this website my only concern was that maybe I'd be getting an openion rather than a fact. Have you observed that most people on this fourm know what they are talking about as it pertains to CHL? Oh and thank you for your quick and thorough posts! Now I've got half a mind to find a class and spend the money and just Sit in and listen.

6. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

Fair concern. I am a CHL instructor, and there are others on this board also. I tend to post liinks to and quote the laws we discuss here.

If a law is referenced by the code and section number you can Google Texas Legislature, click on Statutes, then click on Texas Statutes, then find the code and section.

7. Austin

Austin Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Awesome thank you I'll do just that.

8. Big country

Big country TGT Addict

Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Go to the Texas department of public safety web site and look up CHL laws they are in there and correct me if I'm wrong txinvestigator but I think you can order a copy of the laws in a hand book.:2cents:

9. Austin

Austin Member

Jan 20, 2009
    Converse(San Antonio)
    Here is a question for you: if I was to see a 30.06 sign and it wasn't in one inch letters does that mean I get to just ignore it?(I don't suspect that is the case) I ask because I don't believe I've ever noticed a sign of that size anywhere where are they tipically located? what kinds of buisnesses are they at?

10. txinvestigator

May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Under the law if the letters are not at least one inch tall you did not receive notice. That said, I don't carry a ruler around and measure lettering on signs. ;)

There is another website where people can list places they have found to be posted, but I cannot remember the url right now.