CHL Traffic Stop

SmokeyWhisper

Jun 5, 2014
Ft. Worth
Recently, I was involved with a traffic stop. The officer took my license and ran it and came back asking if I was a CHL carrier and if I had any weapons. Of course I told him yes and that there was a loaded pistol in the cinsole. He advised that I should have told him initially that I was armed as a CHL carrier. I reminded him that in Texas, it is not required for a driver to have a CHL when transporting a loaded pistol per the castle doctrine. No ticket in this instance, just friendly advise from the Police. Any thoughts, suggestions or comments on this situation?

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
@ OP: You are both correct. If memory serves, under CHL you are to inform if a firearm is "on or about your person" and console clearly fits. I would have informed, why not?

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
May 28, 2008
Ft Worth, TX
You were wrong.

Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with where you can carry

As a CHL holder you are required to display your CHL to a Peace Officer who demands that you ID yourself if you are carrying. That law requires it if you are a license holder, not just if you are carrying under the authority of a CHL.

Next time hand it over.

mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
TGT Supporter
Jan 15, 2012
Waco-ish
When I was stopped a couple years ago, with both hands on the wheel, first thing I said was I have a CHL and there is a loaded pistoll next to my right thigh.
He asked to see the licenses and I said, I'll have to reach to my right rear pocket to get it, near where the gun is.
He said go ahead and thanks.

I know giving cops a hard time is the hip thing to do these days.
Sometimes one needs to pick their battles wisely.

Glockster69

TGT Addict
BANNED!!!
Jul 1, 2011
As a CHL holder you are required to display your CHL to a Peace Officer who demands that you ID yourself if you are carrying. That law requires it if you are a license holder, not just if you are carrying under the authority of a CHL.
Seems to be a conflict, am I missing something?

Whisky

Well-Known
BANNED!!!
Jan 27, 2013
I believe it's required, along with your DL, to give the fellow your CHL (?)

somewhat long story but I like to tell it : x-country trip a while back.....I was stopped by a Sheriff Deputy somewhere SE of the Den airport for speeding. the Deputy introduced himself and said the reason he stopped me was that I was 10 mph over the speed limit

I said, yes Sir, that's exactly what my speedometer was telling me - he sort of chuckled at that and asked for my DL and registration

I gave him my DL and my CHL and informed him that I had 2 pistols, broken down, in a small portable safe in the back seat area of my P/U (then looking around for my registration I remembered that in Texas the window sticker is all that's required and informed him of this - he said "nope" - so I looked further in the glove compartment and just happened to have the paperwork which the sticker was attached to before mounting, phew.. subsequent to that I've confirmed that only the window sticker is required in Tx, not any other paperwork but I'm always going to keep the other stuff, just in case)

he "ran" my stuff, came back to the window and said "I see you're not a felon so I'm just going to give you a warning, and thank you for showing me your CHL and telling me you have pistols aboard"

we chatted for a bit about pistols (his and mine) and I was on my way - driving at, what I promised, the speed limit

I don't understand why some folks have to act as tho any LEO is an adversary

Shorts

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Mar 28, 2008
Texas
You were wrong.

Castle Doctrine has nothing to do with where you can carry

Next time hand it over.
THIS.

Seems to be a conflict, am I missing something?
What is meant is that you must present your CHL if you have a gun on or about you, not just if it is CCed under your belt, if you are a CHL holder. So, if it's loaded in the vehicle a la Motorist Protection Act, and you are a CHL holder, present your CHL.

I know, it makes no sense since non CHLers can have a loaded gun in their console and not present anything other than their DL and the Officer would have no indication firearm is or may be present in the vicinity of the driver. But, I digress...

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
Lifetime Member
Oct 4, 2013
Gunz are icky.
I always present the CHL first, whether I am carrying or not.
Also inform the officer if there is a weapon or not.
Has served me well for 20yrs now.
i do think I've been let off several times for this courtesy.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member