• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • coreymcl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2015
    Mansfield, TX
    Here's a questions I didn't think to asking my CHL instructor who is a LEO. What is the responsibilities of CHL holder on a traffic stop when they are not driving the car being pulled over? If I was a LEO I would want to know if someone in the car is a CHL holder and is carrying a weapon.

Thanks,

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Here's a questions I didn't think to asking my CHL instructor who is a LEO. What is the responsibilities of CHL holder on a traffic stop when they are not driving the car being pulled over? If I was a LEO I would want to know if someone in the car is a CHL holder and is carrying a weapon.

Thanks,

Shut up and only speak when spoken to by LEO.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Yep, what Renegade and BIGPAPIGREG said; plus keep your hands in plain sight and don't go digging around your pockets or fidgeting when the officer is approaching the vehicle.

Lastly, NEVER use the word 'gun' if talking to a police officer. Say 'weapon,' 'pistol,' 'firearm,' anything but the term 'gun.'

It is an alert word used by officers when they see a firearm, and if another officer overhears it and thinks the responding officer said it, things can go downhill really fast!

Cheers! M2

Se7en62

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2015
    That Holler Up Yonder, Texas
    Yep, what Renegade and BIGPAPIGREG said; plus keep your hands in plain sight and don't go digging around your pockets or fidgeting when the officer is approaching the vehicle.

Lastly, NEVER use the word 'gun' if talking to a police officer. Say 'weapon,' 'pistol,' 'firearm,' anything but the term 'gun.'

It is an alert word used by officers when they see a firearm, and if another officer overhears it and thinks the responding officer said it, things can go downhill really fast!

Cheers! M2
    Exactly. I was actually pulled over last week, and while I'm not a CHL holder, I kept my hands on the wheel and immediately let the officer know I was carrying a "Glock in the car" when I handed him my ID. He asked where it was and that day it happened to be "in the trunk" [which on any other day it would have been right next to me] and he said "Thanks for letting me know." That was it. He wrote me a ticket for rolling a stop sign, said have a great day, and nothing more.

This was the reaction of a Hutto Sergeant belonging to a precinct that just lost an officer on a traffic stop 3 month ago, so I'm sure it's extra nerve racking for them right now with that on their minds. I always give cops my utmost respect, but in my small new-to-me-hometown, I try to go above and beyond to make sure they are comfortable with me.

Wiliamr

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Austin
    I wonder how Austin PD will react to my Arizona carry license and my Texas Drivers license. I had one tell me before I got mine, (not on a stop, at lunch) The Arizona CHL doesnt work in Texas if you are a Texas resident. I asked him to check with his sergeant or lieutenant before he ever tried to act on what he "knew" Sort of bristled, but I got up and left lunch.

dt300mm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Austin
    DL, CHL & insurance in one of my hands that are on the steering wheel at 10 & 2 by the time the officer gets to my window. If it's dark then the interior lights are on & the passenger side window is down. Treat others as you would like to be treated anytime contact with another person is made. Specially LI. Why not ? Whom would you be trying to impress making the process more annoying than necessary ?

McClintock

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2015
    I turn over all information out of courtesy.

There is still a law that you are suppose to disclose all info but I think they removed people allies for not complying. Don't quote me.

Top Bottom