• ...and so much more!
  • kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Lots of nice replys. Mine was a simple case of not ever having been pulled over since I got my CHL and not knowing what I really should have done. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. If you do get pulled over, a reminder from me...
    1. Pull in a safe location for you and the officer. You can drive until you find a safe spot, it doesn't have to be exactly where he turns his lights on.
    2. Roll down the window, put the vehicle in park, turn off the ignition and rest you hands on the steering wheel with your fingers fanned out.
    3. Don't reach for anything like a wallet or insurance. That all can wait.
    4. Be polite and don't lie. If he asks you something, you don't have to respond per your 5th amendment right but things can go smoothly if you are just honest.
    5. Don't get all mouthy about your rights and what you know. If you feel that your rights are being violated in some way then take what ever action you wish but be warned, some of these guys love to remind you who is writing the ticket!
    Ohh... and hand them your CHL with the license and let them know if you are carrying or not!
    GI JOE SAID THAT
    Venture Surplus ad

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    For example, if you are carrying a handgun in a car, you are not generally carrying under the authority of a CHL. So if a cop demands you ID yourself, then you must display your CHL. If you are at home and are carrying, it is not under the authority of a CHL, but if a cop demands your ID, you gotta cough up the CHL too.

lmao ya right. If I'm at my home I ain't showing him shit.

Savage20

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 23, 2015
    135 Los Gatos Rd
    Lots of nice replys. Mine was a simple case of not ever having been pulled over since I got my CHL and not knowing what I really should have done. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle. If you do get pulled over, a reminder from me...
    1. Pull in a safe location for you and the officer. You can drive until you find a safe spot, it doesn't have to be exactly where he turns his lights on.
    2. Roll down the window, put the vehicle in park, turn off the ignition and rest you hands on the steering wheel with your fingers fanned out.
    3. Don't reach for anything like a wallet or insurance. That all can wait.
    4. Be polite and don't lie. If he asks you something, you don't have to respond per your 5th amendment right but things can go smoothly if you are just honest.
    5. Don't get all mouthy about your rights and what you know. If you feel that your rights are being violated in some way then take what ever action you wish but be warned, some of these guys love to remind you who is writing the ticket!
    Ohh... and hand them your CHL with the license and let them know if you are carrying or not!

Oh, so now you're an expert.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    That is not a good idea. Officers are trained to look for safe spots and will activates their lights when they want you to pull over. In fact, Texas law requires you to pull to the right and come to a complete stop when an emergency vehicle approaches. If the officer wants you to proceed to somewhere else, he will tell you.

I've had lights come on in very bad patches of extremely busy highway with very narrow shoulders. Rather than create a road hazard I took the next off-ramp and pulled into a parking lot.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    Nope and that is where I find this law odd. Goes right along with the posting requirements for 30.06 not required to be posted on every public entrance. And many more gun laws on the books. Just doesn't make sense. Anyone who can legally posses a gun can carry concealed in their vehicle and does not have to inform but a chl holder who has gone through the class and been vetted by an extensive background check does!

It is odd. This is why the legislature removed any possible penalties for a CHL holder failing to inform in the following session after the motorist protection act was passed. As has been said, currently, the Gov code states the CHL holder must present CHL when ID is demanded, however if the CHL holder chooses not to comply there can be no penalty.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Officers are trained to look for safe spots and will activates their lights when they want you to pull over..

Haha. I have never been pulled over by any of these "trained" officers. One time I had to drive almost 2 miles to get off a bridge with no shoulders to safe spot. IME, they activate their lights right after I fly by!

zincwarrior

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Texas, land of Tex-Mex
    We have only been pulled over once. The wife was driving and gave over the CHL with the TDL. We knew they had that info, but didn't see a need to cause problems. I think the officer gave her the CHL back quickly, didn't ask where the firearm was or anything, but they did get to talking about good pistol options for women for what seemed like a good 15 minutes. :flag:

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    don't have to be driving for a LEO to ask for yer ID

your papers please...

Is that true in Texas ? without probably cause / reasonable suspicion of something?

If LEO asks, just say no thanks as far as showing ID or DL since you are not required to carry it unless driving but you probably are required to give your name and address (most states)

JohnnyLoco

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Texas
    Well when open carry goes into effect and the officer sees a p220 on either of my hips, I guess he wont be surprised. Might even have my p228 in a should holster as well.

XinTX

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2010
    South of Houston
    It is odd. This is why the legislature removed any possible penalties for a CHL holder failing to inform in the following session after the motorist protection act was passed. As has been said, currently, the Gov code states the CHL holder must present CHL when ID is demanded, however if the CHL holder chooses not to comply there can be no penalty.

Didn't that happen not long after that Officer Harless incident? Guy repeatedly tried to tell the cop he was carrying but the enraged cop would scream "SHUT THE F*%$ UP!!" at him every time he tried to speak. Then once the cop found the gun the same cop told the guy he would happily take him out and shoot him in the head. Think it was Canton Ohio IIRC. I think OH dropped their "duty to inform" requirement after that one. But I could be wrong.

Mike1234567

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    South Texas
    Unless a pedestrian is arrested he/she need not provide ID. However, many LEO either don't know the law or they disrespect it. A traffic stop does require ID when, not if, it's requested.

your papers please...

Is that true in Texas ? without probably cause / reasonable suspicion of something?

If LEO asks, just say no thanks as far as showing ID or DL since you are not required to carry it unless driving but you probably are required to give your name and address (most states)

Last edited:
    Top Bottom