'Choosing a .45 for concealed carry/some competition'‏

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by radioflyer, Sep 29, 2009.

1. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    I currently have two 9mm pistols: H&K P30 and Sig Pro 2022. I hardly shoot the sig anymore (just doesn't feel as good as the HK) I'm considering selling the Sig in favor of a .45 i can conceal or use in IDPA.

The contestents so far are: (and my thoughts)

Sig 220 Carry.
    - Pros: Shoots well, easy to operate, well balanced.
    - Cons: expensive especially if i go for a non-base model, I'd prefer an aftermarket grip.

HK USP .45 compact
    - Pros: fits my hand very well, consistant lines would make concealment comfortable and easy to draw.
    - Cons: Have yet to shoot one....can't comment

Jericho steel mid-size
    - Pros: very comfortable in my hand (almost as much as my P30) light trigger pull in SA.
    - Cons: only shot in .40S&W have yet to try .45

Thoughts on my canidates?

2. Mate

Mate Member

Jul 19, 2009
    Houston
    What's the holster choices for....

Nevermind, I forgot you can make your own.

What about magazines for the jericho? How hard are they to procure?

Out of all of those I would pick the 220, I like the trigger the best and I know someone that can fix it for me IF something happens.

3. DRod

DRod Active Member

Feb 22, 2009
    I personally like the Sig. The Jerico looks pretty slick but heavy, but to be fair, ive never shot one. I couldnt see carrying a USP daily. Just too chunk IMO. I mean the compact is smaller than my fullsize but not by enough for me to go IWB with one. But thats my strict personal opinion. The Sig is a little smaller IIRC and I liked its grip alot.
    Sig gets my vote.
    What about the Glock 36? Capacity sucks but I hear the Gold Dot SBs are pretty nasty with it.

4. Byaah_19

Byaah_19 Active Member

Apr 1, 2009
    DFW
    I would take the sig p220 out of the three. Have you thought about a kimber pro model ( I love 1911's). I have a pro carry II and love it for concealed carry. Since it's not full size it works great for carry. The pro carry II were $799 when I got mine. Just an idea. I have shot the 220 and the HK and I like the 220 better. Never shot a Jericho though.

5. navyguy

navyguy TGT Addict

Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    I'd go for the Sig. You could even opt for the SAO version of that's your flavor.
    I doubt there are any of the external extractor version still floating around in new stock, but make sure you get the internal extractor version. There were a lot of ejection problems with the external extractor, hence the change to internal a couple of years ago.

6. Okierifleman

Okierifleman Active Member

Mar 14, 2009
    Houston
    If it has to be one of the 3, take the Sig. Even better if you can get the SAO, if you cant, at least make sure it has SRT.

7. shilohshooters

shilohshooters Active Member

Mar 29, 2008
    north houston
    Sig, Guaranteed to make you at least 10% better looking while carrying. You need all the help you can get, like me. Plus, I know a range that happens to carry lots of Sig's...

8. F350-6

F350-6 Well-Known

May 25, 2009
    Just a dumb question here, but why do you like the H&K 9 better than the Sig? Is there something different in the H&K 45 that makes you think you'd like to switch back to a Sig?

9. radioflyer

radioflyer Active Member

Mar 21, 2009
    The P30 fits my hand like a glove while the p2022 has a....well a fat ass. it sits wide in my hand and is just overall uncomfortable to hold. As a result coming on target with the sig is not as natural.

.....now if i had a Sig 226 or 229, it might be a different story, but they were $2-300 more than the Sig Pro.

I have yet to shoot an HK in .45 but was able to try out a P220 and P220 carry at Shiloh when the sig rep was there a few months ago.