Choosing a suppressor

Discussion in 'Class III / NFA' started by frijolero817, Oct 20, 2009.

1. frijolero817

frijolero817 Member

May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'd like to ask a little help from you guys who have used suppressors on a 5.56 more than a couple of times. Are there some out there that can be used without hearing protection safely? If so, have you used either AAC or YHM? Or does anyone know where I could try a demo in the DFW area? Those are two I'm looking at. I appreciate anyone who could help out. Thanks.

2. The two you named are really the two most popular. The AAC M42K has a better locking system than the YHM Phantom I think (personal opinion), but the YHM can be had for much much less than the AAC, and is easier to get ahold of. It seems like everyone has the YHMs in stock, but never has the AACs. Sound wise I couldnt tell you cause I havent heard them side by side. Another thing to think about is the availability of mounts. YHM was having issues with the ATF on selling extra mounts, but I was told that has been resolved and they are selling them again, dont know for sure though. AAC also doesnt include a mount with their suppressors anymore so you have to factor a $100 mount into the cost of the suppressor.

3. SC-Texas

SC-Texas Moderator Moderator

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    1st off, you will not go wrong with either the AAC ot the YHM Phantom.

I prefer Quick detach 5.56mm suppressors in this order:
    1. AAC SPR/M4 Mod 08
    2. AAC M4-2000 Mod 08
    3. Ops Inc.
    4. Surefire
    5. Gemtech G5
    6. YHM Phantom

see this video:
    YouTube - 2009-10-17 2nd Annual Liberty Rod and gun Club Suppressor Shoot

My order of preference is based on a combination of the factors that I feel are important, sound reduction, build quality, attachment method and price.

The YM cans are good cans. I just like the AAC, Ops Inc. and SureFire better.

4. frijolero817

frijolero817 Member

May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the thoughts on the availability of a mount (which I didn't think of), the list of what you thought were best, and the posting of the videos. I'll be brand new to the NFA playground and want to make sure that when I spend the money I do it with some insight. Any ideas on where I might be able to hear some in action, such as dealers that will do demo's?

5. cconn

cconn Active Member

Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I am interested in this as well. I am currently overseas but when I get home next week I plan on contacting SC-Texas about setting up my trust. For my first purchase I want a 5.56 can. I would really like to be able to go to range with someone who has one of these models to hear it before purchasing.

6. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    CConn,

I'll be happy to do your trust and you are welcome to join us at the range for a demo one weekend that you are here.

7. frijolero817

frijolero817 Member

May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    SC-Texas, can you tell me if the guy shooting between 1:49 and about 2:02 is shooting a 5.56, which can he is using, and whether or not that is subsonic ammo or regular? I know it's alot to ask, but I really liked the sound reducion. Again I appreciate all of your help.

8. cnl390

cnl390 Active Member

May 27, 2009
  9. frijolero817

frijolero817 Member

May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Thanks cnl390, I appreciate all the help I can get. This is actually the second forum that I've heard people recommend Major Malfunction.

10. SC-Texas

Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Bryon is a good guy. Remember that you will have to factor in transfer fees if you buy direct from him.

Where are you located? Fort worth?

You might try to find a local dealer who can make the sale and give you the support after the sale.

I can reccomend a couple of guys up in that area.