• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I'd like to ask a little help from you guys who have used suppressors on a 5.56 more than a couple of times. Are there some out there that can be used without hearing protection safely? If so, have you used either AAC or YHM? Or does anyone know where I could try a demo in the DFW area? Those are two I'm looking at. I appreciate anyone who could help out. Thanks.
    Texas SOT

mclarenross

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The two you named are really the two most popular. The AAC M42K has a better locking system than the YHM Phantom I think (personal opinion), but the YHM can be had for much much less than the AAC, and is easier to get ahold of. It seems like everyone has the YHMs in stock, but never has the AACs. Sound wise I couldnt tell you cause I havent heard them side by side. Another thing to think about is the availability of mounts. YHM was having issues with the ATF on selling extra mounts, but I was told that has been resolved and they are selling them again, dont know for sure though. AAC also doesnt include a mount with their suppressors anymore so you have to factor a $100 mount into the cost of the suppressor.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    1st off, you will not go wrong with either the AAC ot the YHM Phantom.

I prefer Quick detach 5.56mm suppressors in this order:
    1. AAC SPR/M4 Mod 08
    2. AAC M4-2000 Mod 08
    3. Ops Inc.
    4. Surefire
    5. Gemtech G5
    6. YHM Phantom

see this video:
    [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XbbonLfl18k]YouTube - 2009-10-17 2nd Annual Liberty Rod and gun Club Suppressor Shoot[/URL]

My order of preference is based on a combination of the factors that I feel are important, sound reduction, build quality, attachment method and price.

The YM cans are good cans. I just like the AAC, Ops Inc. and SureFire better.

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    Thanks for the input guys, I appreciate the thoughts on the availability of a mount (which I didn't think of), the list of what you thought were best, and the posting of the videos. I'll be brand new to the NFA playground and want to make sure that when I spend the money I do it with some insight. Any ideas on where I might be able to hear some in action, such as dealers that will do demo's?

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I am interested in this as well. I am currently overseas but when I get home next week I plan on contacting SC-Texas about setting up my trust. For my first purchase I want a 5.56 can. I would really like to be able to go to range with someone who has one of these models to hear it before purchasing.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    CConn,

I'll be happy to do your trust and you are welcome to join us at the range for a demo one weekend that you are here.

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    SC-Texas, can you tell me if the guy shooting between 1:49 and about 2:02 is shooting a 5.56, which can he is using, and whether or not that is subsonic ammo or regular? I know it's alot to ask, but I really liked the sound reducion. Again I appreciate all of your help.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Bryon is a good guy. Remember that you will have to factor in transfer fees if you buy direct from him.

Where are you located? Fort worth?

You might try to find a local dealer who can make the sale and give you the support after the sale.

I can reccomend a couple of guys up in that area.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    The can was a 7.62mm AAC SCAR-H SD on a 6.8. It is the same can seen on the 7.62mm bolt gun in the opening sequence (prior to 1:24).

The can just before that (1:24 to 1:48) is an AAC SPR/M4 5.56mm suppressor on a 12.5" barrel.

The SPR/M4 would be the better choice for a 5.56mm with a barrell of 12" or longer.

Remember, the video camera doesn't accurately reproduce the sound impulse. Its microphone and circuitry are optimized for the human vocal range, not reproducing the sound of a gunshot.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    A .223 or .308 is about 155 dB, so even with a can they are still loud. If you aren't right next to it, you will find it tolerable without hearing protection. If you are shooting the gun, you more than likely will still want hearing protection.

Plugs are cheap and light.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    A .223 or .308 is about 155 dB, so even with a can they are still loud. If you aren't right next to it, you will find it tolerable without hearing protection. If you are shooting the gun, you more than likely will still want hearing protection.

Plugs are cheap and light.

Are you saying the suppressed 5.56 or 308 is 155 db? This is not the case for AAC cans which I have done work for in design of several of their suppressors (hence the reason I have not chimed in and given what would be considered a biased opinion). The 5.56 and 308 are both below the 140 db mark at the muzzle (using US military testing standards) and well below that at the ear. 140 db is considered the maximum short term exposure level for hearing damage.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Are you saying the suppressed 5.56 or 308 is 155 db? This is not the case for AAC cans which I have done work for in design of several of their suppressors (hence the reason I have not chimed in and given what would be considered a biased opinion). The 5.56 and 308 are both below the 140 db mark at the muzzle (using US military testing standards) and well below that at the ear. 140 db is considered the maximum short term exposure level for hearing damage.

No, the gun without the can is 155, presumably at the muzzle. I got the numbers from a website that listed a 5.56 M855 ball round at 156 db. They could be wrong, and testing methods vary. I just know it's freaking loud, but with the can it's tolerable, just not in large dosages. I'd still wear plugs with the can on a rifle.

If you've done work on them, then I'd like to hear your opinion as you'd be more informed than most, biased or otherwise. What are the upsides in your opinion of the 7.62 cans on the 5.56 ... are they better or worse? I've heard both, but not side by side.

frijolero817

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Fort Worth
    I would like to know what you have to say as well, Mongo. I know that we undergo audiograms in the Navy due to the long term exposure to hazardous noise which is so many hours at 84 db or more (maybe 85, it's been a couple years since my last hearing conservation course), so what would be the db level suppressed be? If I knew that or a decent estimate, then I could go back into the safe db/exposure time chart and know what I'm looking at. I do agree though that plugs add safety, but regardless I'm interested in going through the NFA process and purchasing a good can.

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    Well the AAC can offerings have a 32 - 36 db reduction for 5.56 calibers. I like shooting with a can since the recoil is reduced and any muzzle blast is diminished. I would still suggest hearing protection for long term exposure but the military guys do not have the luxury so a suppressor is the best option for them. I know with the AAC Cyclone that the 308 20" bolt gun will not trigger my electronic hearing protection but there is still some noise reduction just due to the muffs. Shooting outdoors is where a center fire rifle suppressor real sounds the best since reflected sound is normally minimal.

As far as hurting your ears, OSHA has a long term 85 db standard but when shooting guns I think there is much in the way of variation between people. I have a friend that no long shoots because even with plugs and muffs his ears ring yet my ears can take loud noises without any ringing. I have excellent hearing and his is terrible. So the level that a per4son damages their hearing must be different and varies with physical makeup.

Suggestions for cans, well for 5.56 I would go with either a M4-2000 or SPR from AAC. They are the two quietest tested cans (independent testing) as well as some of the lightest. I designed the locking mount system for them and they are quick and easy to use with one hand. For 308 can, bolt gun I would go with the AAC Cyclone thread on, a light can and test as second quietest in independent testing but the other suppressor was 3 times as large and 3 times as heavy.

I have owned other 5.56 suppressors (Gemtech) and was very unhappy witht he mount system. It has internal moving parts that will seize sold and you have to have tools to take it apart and off. Gemtech even suggested shooting the suppressor off to a friend but I have no desire to launch a $1K item down range every time I want to remove it (which is a real problem if you are at home). Also another friend had one and hated it since the gas blow back through the mount was etching the optics on his IR laser and scope.

There you have it, remember I have worked for AAC and will most likely again on a contract basis.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    I have always seen good things from AAC. I've shot a number of their cans, including the .308 can. I just wanted to hear what you had to say about it.

Top Bottom