• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ATTac

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    Hello, I have a resident CHP in VA but I will be moving to SA in January and was curious if it "transfers" or I have to go thru a texas class? Anyone know? Alao whats turnaround time to get CHP in Texas.

Thanks.
    Guns International

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    They don't transfer, so if you want the Texas CHL, then you'll have to take the class. It used to be 10 hours long, but now it has been reduced to 4 - 6 hours as of September. Seems to be about a 5 week period from the time you send off all documents to the time you have the license in hand. Texas does honor the VA license, but there are a few perks to having the Texas license.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    Big plus to getting your TX CHL is when it comes time to purchase a firearm from an FFL, fill out the paperwork and you're done with no NICS call.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    Wait, can't you just get guns with no background checks at every gun show??? That's what I here on the news!!! :p

I wonder if that's as common as the media and general public think. Many firearm sellers at gun shows are FFL holders and would be required to do the background checks.

Last edited:

ATTac

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 8, 2013
    San Antonio, TX
    I guess transfer was a poor choice of words. I meant if I show them my VA CHP would I still have to take TX CHP class or do I just get to fill out form then wait.

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I guess transfer was a poor choice of words. I meant if I show them my VA CHP would I still have to take TX CHP class or do I just get to fill out form then wait.

Short answer, yes you have to take the course, good news for you is when you fill out the application and send in the paperwork with a copy of you DD-214 you get a break on the state fees.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX

You can carry on your current license here in Texas as long as it is valid. To obtain a Texas license you need to take a class, as mentioned above.

Hummm....

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom