• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Visited my rep today and a few reps are talking about a new bill that would allow tier 1 operators to move into law enforcement immediately following their entrance into the civilian world. They'd take an abbreviated course to spin them up on laws and other items, but it would allow them a fast entrance.

It's just talk at the moment, but this would help tier 1 guys that come back move into a field that pays well and offers another mode of serving the people.

I'll try to stay up to date about it and let you guys know.

There's also a "Chris Kyle" day attached, which is nice.
    Gun Zone Deals

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    That sounds to me like they mean special operations soldiers in general. In terms of "tiers" (of which the moniker has entirely to do with budget/funding and who gets priority, the way I understand it), tier 1 usually refers to two specific US military units (although I have heard there are 1 or 2 other units that sometimes classify as "tier 1"), one from the Navy and one from the Army.

Either way, I can think of no better way to honor the man, by providing some legislation to further help members of the special operations community after their time of military service.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Isn't "tier 1" most often used in reference to the Army Rangers and Navy SEALs?

Regardless, I'm pretty much with Sig_Fiend on this one. It can only be seen as a good thing.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX
    Isn't "tier 1" most often used in reference to the Army Rangers and Navy SEALs?

Regardless, I'm pretty much with Sig_Fiend on this one. It can only be seen as a good thing.

Tier 1 is basically Delta and other pinnacle groups, but the usage above refers to SF, SEALs, etc. Not sure if they intend on including Rangers.

Doc Roe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    .... Son of a bitch. I figured out it was Delta about thirty seconds after I hit the "post" button. Knew it was Army, just wasn't 100% sure which specific group, and didn't feel like waiting for Google to un-**** itself.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Ok, let me say that I am ignorant on this subject.

Why is this necessary? Aren't "Tier 1" operators the guys that law enforcement would want anyways? Wouldn't law enforcement agencies help these guys make the transition on their own without laws like this in place? Is there something holding this process back right now?

Is this bill going to force one party or the other to do something that they wouldn't normally do?

Honestly on the surface it sounds like a Liberal "let's create some jobs" kinda thing.

Please educate me.

As far as "Chris Kyle Day", I thought we already had Veterans Day and Memorial Day. Go ahead and jump on me for that one but I have my reasons.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Tier 1 is one specific unit from the SEALs, not the SEALs in general. This also includes one specific Army unit (of which TGT has a couple former members). That's sort of common knowledge.

Beyond that, since most of us here aren't "tier 1", we're kind of out of our lane in talking about it. ;)

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Visited my rep today and a few reps are talking about a new bill that would allow tier 1 operators to move into law enforcement immediately following their entrance into the civilian world. They'd take an abbreviated course to spin them up on laws and other items, but it would allow them a fast entrance.

Sounds like a dream come true for a "sue anybody in sight" attorney. What coursework are they actually going to eliminate? I doubt anyone putting this idea forward has ever been through an academy to know what goes on. Tier 1 guy might be able to bypass 2 weeks tops.

What is their plan to deal with Tier 1 Operators whose jobs are classified? I guess they are SOL.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    Am I the only one concerned about the militarization of our police forces??? There was a good reason that many police departments used to would not hire MP's when they got out.

Yeah, we need to take care of all our military people when they transition into civilian life, but lets make sure those people are ready and qualified for those positions first. If they were the best and brightest with the most motivation of their peers they will do fine in the civilian world.

I liked it better when we had "Peace Officers" and not "Law Enforcement Officers" this push for power and control is disturbing. Just don't like the trend I am seeing here.

The jobs those guys do in the military are totally different from how local authorities should be conducting business.

Last edited:

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    What an elite military unit member does and what civilian LE does bear no resemblance. I would rather have a guy with good people skills and the ability to articulate well on paper, than a guy that can kill you 14 ways with a staple, or swim underwater for 46 minutes without surfacing.

No disrespect to our military intended, its just 2 distinctly different sets of skills.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Everyone really needs to read Kyles book to get an idea of there mind set , its not as easy to come back from as many tours
    as he did and settle in to civy life.

That is the problem. Are they ready to jump in a patrol car soon after returning? Driving a patrol car on the highway here and a Hummer in Iraq takes totally different mindsets.

It sounds like this bill is going to put them in a patrol car very quickly. I don't think that will be good for anyone.

Top Bottom