Hurley's Gold

Christmas In Texas- A Totally Unique Experience!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    It's Christmas eve day and it warmed up so nicely that Jake and I took a walk around the neighborhood. We have several older ladies who live alone so I stopped at their homes and wished them a "Merry Xmas!" Later, I figured "What the Hell" so I stopped at most of the neighbors homes and did the same thing.

A bit later, my next door neighbor said he was going to smoke a turkey tomorrow and that he'd bring over a nice plate of goodies for me.

We also discussed a problem that I have in my yard. The original septic tank had been run over by a concrete truck and broke the top. They apparently back filled it but it has caved in and made a big hole! He said that after Xmas, we'd get some dirt and fill the hole up. He even said that he'd bring one of the guys from work to help us.

For a guy who never liked Xmas, I'm enjoying sharing a smile and a handshake. In return, I'm getting some real neighbor help in return!

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

MERRY CHRISTMAS, YA'LL

Flash

TXDARKHORSE361

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 15, 2012
    I love hot sauce on my tamales, my wife thinks I'm weird for that but she's the one who eats them with ketchup :eek:

I was born and raised here but because of the Corps have spent Christmas in Maryland, California, Japan, and Afghanistan. Absolutely nowhere comes close to being home in Texas.

Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    My tree has a double-layered iron star topping it. I'm pretty sure you're not going to find that outside of Texas. I think there's even an iron star ornament hung with bailing twine.

pistolpadre

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    my first Christmas overseas I spent the night on bar chairs in Cavite PI.. after a dozen or so San Magel's they we're pretty comfortable..

Merry Christmas to all you fine TX folk, God bless, and sincer wishes for a great day..

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Merry Christmas yall, from Florida.

I import mine from El Paso. The ones on corpus are terrible.

So true. In our 22yrs in CC never found a good place for tamales. After grandma passed we were left at the mercy of anywhere we could find them. This year my Dad and sister ordered dozens from all over the place to see if they could find any good ones. Dad and I have been working on grandma's recipe but we're going off his memory. So we cook, taste, revise. It is going to take forever.

I was born and raised here but because of the Corps have spent Christmas in Maryland, California, Japan, and Afghanistan. Absolutely nowhere comes close to being home in Texas.

Same here, born & raised Texan but Navy has given us Christmases all over. Great to see places but I always miss Christmas in Texas.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Everything is bigger and better in Texas, including Christmas!

Happy holidays, y'all!

b1c45593ec78862353a336e3f7f78147.jpg

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Gotta put a PS to the story of Christmas. Tracy, next door called me on the phone and said "Come on over!" Bonnie was here for a visit so we both went over there. We shared hugs and handshakes, caught up on how everyone was doing then they loaded us up with food. The first rule of a single man is never turn down a free meal. YIKES! We really hit the jackpot!

Yup, for a guy who never liked Christmas, I'm starting to like the Texas style Christmas!

GOD BLESS TEXAS!

Flash

Manta

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Texas
    First Christmas in 5 years that we had all of our kids here and the grandkids. Oldest daughters husband in the military so they are not in this area much. Yep had ribs, brisket, ham, turkey and of course tamales.

Glad you all had a fantastic Christmas.

Last edited:

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Nobody makes awesome tamales like a traditional mexican family. lots of people sell them on the side of the road, and im their sucker. iprefer mine with chili on them.

True story - when i was a kid my grandpa took us to El Nopal rest at the old Southgate shopping center in Waco. He always ordered for us kids. i was 14 before i knew there was mexican food besides tamales. . lol

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Chili on tamales? I was born a Yankee (Chicago) so that never occurred to me. Can I buy tamales? I noted some earlier posts but some of those sources are 900 miles from me!

Where do you get them? Is there a tamale store?

A dozen tamales with a can of chili over them sounds like a feast!

Flash

Top Bottom