Texas SOT

Christmas In Texas- A Totally Unique Experience!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    I just sat down to a plate of home made tamales and cookies that my Mexican neighbor brought over. My little dog, Jake was stationed as always by my side hoping for a few morsels to come his way. Of course, some did!

Just after we started eating, there was a tremendous racket outside. Our volunteer Fire Department decorated their trucks with Christmas tree lights and played Christmas music with Santa Claus handing out goodies to the kids.

I came back inside after they passed by and thought about how unique Christmas was in Texas!

I pondered the two slabs of ribs cooling in the refridge waiting for Xmas dinner.

As my eyes scanned the room, I noted the AR-15 in the new Tipton gun vise waiting to be cleaned.

There is a ton of .223 brass being sorted for reloading. Midway finally got some "Dogtown" bullets so I stocked up. Gonna need some .223 real soon!

So, I gazed in wonder at how different Christmas in Texas is from any other place that I've lived. I've traveled during Christmas and been in Mexico and the Bahamas for Christmas but the holiday in Texas is a whole different trip!

Please feel free to share some things that make Christmas in Texas unique for you!

Flash
    Guns International

Last edited:

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    Warmer climate. Better people.
    Gun shops are as crowded as Victoria's Secret this time of year.

I love Texas!

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    We moved to San Antonio when I was 16. We came from Tyler, Shreveport before that. Anyway, my dad came home with a 5 gallon tin can of tamales that Christmas. We couldn't figure why the hell his boss was giving away tamales at Christmas. 37 years later, it just ain't Christmas if I ain't eatin' tamales.

Sapper740

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Roger, I've been to 10 different countries on four continents and at least 35 of these here United States and nowhere speaks to my soul more than Texas.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I've lived in New York City, Upstate New York, San Diego, and the Dallas area. I love this place and would not move for any reason.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Not enough money in the world to make me live north of the Red again.

Since my son came to visit (from DFW), we had Christmas today. Wife got me an annual membership to a shooting range. Good wife!

Tamales? Ate the last of the ones in the 'fridge for lunch on Thursday.

Ribs? Had those for lunch on Friday.

TxDad

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Central Texas
    I have never lived anywhere other than Texas. I just dont see it happening. Texas is home. Born and raised here. God Bless Texas. We also have an event at the courthouse during Christmas. Santa's there taking pics by the huge tree, kids singing on the mic, vendors giving out food, and a horse drawn carriage. Something you would have to see to get the full effect. It really seemed like something from a movie.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    Texas has been my only home since I was born! Wouldn't even consider moving. People are great, economy is growing tremendously (as I noticed while passing shopping centers from Houston to Kerr County yesterday, all completely full!), weather is great, etc. And, of course, tamales for Christmas!!

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    There were a few other unique things about Christmas in Texas. How about being poked by a mosquito on Christmas Day? Where else but Texas?

Today, 12/22/2013, I'm doing my chores and projects while wearing shorts and a "T" shirt! Try THAT in Chicago or New York!

I broke a pinata in Cozumel on Xmas day and attended "Junkanoo" at 2am on Boxing Day (the day after Christmas) on New Providence Island in the Bahamas. Both were interesting but I prefer the "Homey" style of Christmas in Texas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Junkanoo

The executor of my will has instructions to cremate me and sprinkle what's left in the back yard of this house. I'm NOT leaving here!

Flash

Last edited:

ROGER4314

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Thought of another one..

Been single since 1975 and have had a large collection of blondes in my life. I actually prefer dark hair. If I was shopping for a cutie to snuggle with on Christmas, Texas is a target rich environment!

Flash

Top Bottom