• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Had a long response listing the advantages of the LabRadar and computer went stupid. If I make the spring shoot I will bring mine. Take your Oehler or whatever and get a velocity reading at muzzle, 25yds, 50yds, 75yds, and 100yds. From that you can calculate the actual ballistic coefficient of the bullet. Bluetooth and SD card for saving data.

The only issue is that you only get a G1 BC and only at the highest velocity range. The G1 tends to drop as the bullet slows.

You really need at least 3 G1s to get a good variable BC for long range.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I'm down to just one chronograph and am very happy with my Oehler 35P

<Idiotically long text describing my history with chronographs snipped.>

My recommendation is to get the cheapest chronograph possible and see if you actually use it. If you get substantial use from it, keep it as a spare and then buy a more premium unit.

Some people buy one, use it for one project, then pretty much never take it out again. You won't know if you're one of those people until you've had a one for a year or more.
    Pure wisdom...

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    Advice: don't shoot it!

For sure.

9ee52c45b2899586f03b79ff3dba7a31.jpg

I bought the same model to replace it with as this one had served me well for years.

But I would like to upgrade to the labradar.

I just can’t get on board with the clamp to your barrel magnetospeed. I do chronograph work during load development and accuracy testing an no one will convince me that clamping it to your barrel doesn’t affect harmonics and accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Attachments

• 9ee52c45b2899586f03b79ff3dba7a31.jpg
      9ee52c45b2899586f03b79ff3dba7a31.jpg
      184.8 KB · Views: 396

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I had an SSI Pro Chrono for about 3 years...my son shot it almost perfectly dead center w/a .454 Casull... Bought another...it lasted about a year until I shot it this February with a .44 cap & ball round..

Now I have a Caldwell Ballistic Precision. Bought the deluxe kit for ~$130. It comes with a good bag, decent tripod, light kit, and most importantly, a cable to plug it into your phone.

I am in LOVE with this thing... didn't really think I'd use the feature much- thought it'd be a hassle, but being able to plug into phone, and record each shot and string automatically, then being able to have it automatically calculate ft/lbs and power factor is AMAZING... then, being able to send these from my phone via email, text or however I want is super handy.

You can choose bullets or loaded ammo from the pull down menu and it will calculate everything for you, or you can input it like, "cast 180gr, RN, .40 S&W" etc.. You can also input Temp and Barometric Pressure, group size, and notes.

The Caldwell Ballistic Precision Chronograph app is free in ios for apple, and I think- not 100% certain- that it's also free for android. You can run the app, save strings raw, then later input the bullet and atmospheric/etc data from the comfort of your aircondidtioned truck or house- important to me for those 200degree days in West Texas :)

Whenever this thing takes a piece of lead through the display and/or CPU, I'll be buying another exactly like it :)

IMG_0307.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0307.jpeg
      IMG_0307.jpeg
      167.4 KB · Views: 385

xdmikey

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    cypress, tx
    Would the information provided by a chrony also be available from QuikLoad? Roughly?

I have a couple buddies with LabRadar and QL is cheap enough but I don't have to have either one.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Would the information provided by a chrony also be available from QuikLoad? Roughly?

I have a couple buddies with LabRadar and QL is cheap enough but I don't have to have either one.

Quickload is simply a calculator. It takes the information and spits out a number assuming certain variables. It’s a tool to give you a starting point and a reasonable expectation.

A chronograph gives you real data. You don’t have to worry about variations in case capacity, how tight your chamber is, how tight your bore is, or the amount of the bullet that actually contacts the bore. It just gives you the velocity of each shot and allows you to determine how consistent those velocities are.

They are not interchangeable tools.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Unless you are working with wildcat loads I would say the information you get from a chronograph is far more useful than what you get from quickload.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I've had a magneto speed v3 for a little over 3 years and find myself constantly using it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Well, my magnetospeed doesn't work well with GCd cast!!!
    Tried all the options. Works fine for jax stuff.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

dirkjr10

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2017
    Dallas
    I as well have the magnetospeed V3 and it’s great. The Sporter version worked fine for me until I got the can then needed to upgrade.

Top Bottom