• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • country_boy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Round Rock
    What are ya'lls opinion on this merger? I want to see what happens first before getting worked up over it, might actually be a good thing to get the old mopar brand back in gear. So far the plans are to make Chrysler an independent company over here but, still owned by fiat. Fiat will give their new company billions worth of small car and engine technology. They will still keep dodge,chrysler, jeep and mopar brands opened. As along as they are aloud to keep building the dodge ram truck, Ill be ok.
    Lynx Defense

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    From one perspective, I can understand it. I mean with corporations, maintaining profitability, minimizing loss, etc is everything. Honestly though, I personally don't think that any foreign corporation, trust/hedge fund, or other entity should be allowed to own US assets of this nature. As far as I'm concerned, corporations like our car manufacturers are sort of a part of our infrastructure in a way. Once you start selling stuff off like that to foreign interests, honestly I only see that going down hill for the interests of the American people.

MadMo44Mag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Ft.Worth
    From one perspective, I can understand it. I mean with corporations, maintaining profitability, minimizing loss, etc is everything. Honestly though, I personally don't think that any foreign corporation, trust/hedge fund, or other entity should be allowed to own US assets of this nature. As far as I'm concerned, corporations like our car manufacturers are sort of a part of our infrastructure in a way. Once you start selling stuff off like that to foreign interests, honestly I only see that going down hill for the interests of the American people.

Not much to add to that but Chrysler has already been a partly foreign owned company.

"Prior to 1998, Chrysler Corporation traded under the "C" symbol on the New York Stock Exchange. Under DaimlerChrysler, the company was named "DaimlerChrysler Motors Company LLC", with its U.S. operations generally referred to as the "Chrysler Group". On May 14, 2007, DaimlerChrysler announced the sale of 80.1% of Chrysler Group to American private equity firm Cerberus Capital Management, L.P., although Daimler continued to hold a 19.9% stake. This was when the company took on its current name.[7] The deal was finalized on August 3, 2007.[8] On April 27, 2009, Daimler AG signed a binding agreement to give up its 19.9% remaining stake in Chrysler LLC to Cerberus Capital Management and pay as much as $600 million into the automaker's pension fund.[9] On April 30, 2009 Chrysler filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection and announced a partnership with Italian automaker Fiat."

Really can't say what's going to happen to Mopar.
    Fiat and Obamanation may turn it into nothing more than the American made Yugo!!!!

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I have a Dodge pickup and like it even tho the gas mileage sucks but now it looks like I will go back to Ford who didnt take govment money and
    still has it head above water hopefully.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Unless the engines are from the scarlet harlot/prancing horse brand I am done with Cry cars. It is bad enough my current Dodge has a modified mexican market engine in it.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Heh, by "modified" you must mean "actually has pollution controls".

I'm not sure that handing the reigns over to Fiat - a company who couldn't manage to stay afloat in the US market because they didn't understand what Americans wanted - is a very good idea if you want Mopar to live.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I recently dumped our GMC Suburban and replaced it with another Ford. I will not buy another GM or Chrysler product.

Fiats always seemed to suck at building Fiats. Not sure how they are now.

Rocket_Cowboy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 30, 2009
    Plano, TX
    If Fiat runs Chrysler hands off as they've done with Ferrari, it could go either way. After all, Chrysler running itself ran itself into the ground.

I don't have a problem with the Fiat ownership. We'll see where it goes from here. I'd rather it be Fiat owned than Obama owned.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Unless the engines are from the scarlet harlot/prancing horse brand I am done with Cry cars. It is bad enough my current Dodge has a modified mexican market engine in it.

Can you name a US auto maker that hasn't used "Mexican market engines" parts, especially electronics, or the same from Canada as well as assembly over either border? Most imports assemble more components and cars in the US than the US automakers do.

Even my diesel Excursion, which was built at the red, white and blue KTP (Kentucky Truck Plant) was assembled with foreign made parts and foreign assembled components. And the Super Duty line of Ford trucks is known to be the the more American of the line-up.

People need to open their eyes to the reality that has been for many, many years.

jdh

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Can you name a US auto maker that hasn't used "Mexican market engines" parts, especially electronics, or the same from Canada as well as assembly over either border? Most imports assemble more components and cars in the US than the US automakers do.

Even my diesel Excursion, which was built at the red, white and blue KTP (Kentucky Truck Plant) was assembled with foreign made parts and foreign assembled components. And the Super Duty line of Ford trucks is known to be the the more American of the line-up.

People need to open their eyes to the reality that has been for many, many years.

Thank you for making my point, there is no such thing as an american made car anymore. Toyota trucks come close.

UAW are you listening?

I used to try to enter my 99 Camaro in the Friday night import shoot out. The track officials said no because it was a domestic car. I said the VIN starts with a 2 which makes it an import (built in Canada). They had no sense of humour at all and "suggested" I leave the track.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    Once you start selling stuff off like that to foreign interests, honestly I only see that going down hill for the interests of the American people.

How is it any different than the Japanese having auto plants here in the States? What would the unemployment rate look if not for those plants? I am not saying I like seeing US assets being sold off to foreign companies, I just don't understand your comment.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Cummins Powered Dodges

Have two, an '01 that runs like a new one with a bit over 100K miles, gets 21.5 mpg with A/C on, up to 23 without. And an old klunge with likely 300K, odometer broken, starts in a flash, runs good, will flat pull a loaded trailer.. Somewhat worn out but good engine and tranny...a keeper for out in the pasture and hard work....Will stay with these two until parts unavailable, if ever...

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    If you buy a GM or Chrysler from now on...you are only rewarding Obama and the UAW.

These mergers/bailouts are going to set a dangerous precedent. Once big govt figures out that everyone will still buy GMs and Chryslers, they might go after other privately held businesses in the future and "reward' other campaign contributors as they did the UAW.

If you have to buy an American vehicle...buy a Ford. They are not owned by Govt. and the UAW.

Me? You'll drag me kicking and screaming out of my Tundra!

- brickboy240

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    How is it any different than the Japanese having auto plants here in the States? What would the unemployment rate look if not for those plants? I am not saying I like seeing US assets being sold off to foreign companies, I just don't understand your comment.

Some things are decidedly American. Ideally, I would like to see them only be American owned. Unfortunately it doesn't quite work out that way in reality though.

jmsfmtex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Fischer
    Put Together

It is almost, if not totally, impossible to buy an "American car". The parts are made in foreign countries, shipped to another location and put together. Sometimes put together in another country. So I buy the best car for the money I have.

I can say one thing for certain: I will NOT buy a car whose company is controlled by the Government. That is as close to Communism as I can see.

thehemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Texas
    I can say one thing for certain: I will NOT buy a car whose company is controlled by the Government. That is as close to Communism as I can see.

I was raised with the "Buy American" philosophy. Obviously a hard thing to really nail down the meaning of these days (my Pontiac was made in Canada). But, I do agree with you, I will not purchase a vehicle from a manufacturer that is owned, or answers to, the government. That is most definitely not "governing".

Top Bottom