• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Marty McFly was his real insperation.
    He was truly a one of a kind entertainer. We will miss you sir.

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    I went to an oldies show @ Ft Worth raceway a few yrs ago. Chuck Berry, Lil Richard, Turtles & a few other has beens. I went there to see Chuck but Little Richard stole the show - he was 75 or so then.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I saw Chuck Berry around 2000 (?) I think. I was right in front of the stage when he played. I've seen much younger "oldies" groups use recorded music, but not Berry. He was rockin' that guitar like the very best - which he was. His music was a profound influence on rock. I think every band for 30 years learned to play "Johnny B. Goode".

There's an old story from the early days that Chuck was playing at a big rock concert with a bunch of bands. Jerry Lee Lewis was also there and was pissed that Berry got higher billing on the posters. Lewis tore the place up with his act, even setting fire to the piano at the end. As he walked off stage to thundering applause, he went past Berry (who was waiting to go on next) and said, "Top that, n*****r!" Berry walked out and did just that. Jerry Lee Lewis' career fell apart when someone found out his wife was like 13 years old and his first cousin. (Louisiana. It happens.) Jerry's family included his cousins Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart, the infamous televangelist.

RIP, Chuck Berry!

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    I saw Chuck Berry around 2000 (?) I think. I was right in front of the stage when he played. I've seen much younger "oldies" groups use recorded music, but not Berry. He was rockin' that guitar like the very best - which he was. His music was a profound influence on rock. I think every band for 30 years learned to play "Johnny B. Goode".

There's an old story from the early days that Chuck was playing at a big rock concert with a bunch of bands. Jerry Lee Lewis was also there and was pissed that Berry got higher billing on the posters. Lewis tore the place up with his act, even setting fire to the piano at the end. As he walked off stage to thundering applause, he went past Berry (who was waiting to go on next) and said, "Top that, n*****r!" Berry walked out and did just that. Jerry Lee Lewis' career fell apart when someone found out his wife was like 13 years old and his first cousin. (Louisiana. It happens.) Jerry's family included his cousins Mickey Gilley and Jimmy Swaggart, the infamous televangelist.

RIP, Chuck Berry!

Eli

Top Bottom