• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    I know Austin and Travis County very well. My son was born there and he named his son Austin (after same). I don't make such a fine distinction. I never said "all" of Travis County (just most). Like Harris County and Houston, Travis County and Austin are known to have a notoriously liberal symbiotic relationship.

justinbowser

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 7, 2016
    Crowley, TX
    I would like to see the AG carry this a step further and issue an opinion that cities can't prohibit employees with CHL from carrying, during work hours, while inside non-court municipal buildings. The employee IS a citizen and has a CHL...

ContactLeft

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    I read an article on the Austin Un-American Statesmen that city council plans to fight it all the way.

Because of work, I somewhat have to pay attention to city council. I'll keep an eye on this.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    Thanks ContactLeft, that would be great! I'm sure I am not the only one interested in how this turns out!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

wtxj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    DFW
    My little old city out near Fort Worth has done the same thing. Sign not of legal size or content. 30-07
    sign only. Hope AG wins.

busykngt

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    McKinney
    My little old city out near Fort Worth has done the same thing. Sign not of legal size or content. 30-07
    sign only. Hope AG wins.

Turn 'em in!
    I believe on the AG website, they've spelled out the procedure for citizens to notify them of local government entities that aren't complying with the state law. The AG then sends a notice to that local government entity explaining the law and giving them x number of days to fix the problem. I think if the local government entity doesn't get with the program, they're sent a second notice explaining the 'fines' and costs involved with the pending lawsuit the AG is about to file against them. All the local government entities this has happened to, so far, have complied.
    Austin City Hall is claiming they have some kind of low level "court" that handles vagrant / homeless cases in the building and thus are in compliance with the state law (due to that court being located in the building).
    Not sure why the AG ain't buying that argument - I think the AG's position is, they can't put the whole building "off limits" due to one courtroom. OR maybe they don't think it meets the definition of a courtroom. For instance, is it just a place where some kind of negotiation / arbitration takes place between the vagrant and city officials?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    My understanding is that the definition of "premises" that is applicable to the courthouse exclusion is defined as a "building or portion of a building" that houses the court and offices of the court. The AG is relying on the "portion of a building" language and saying that if there are other non-court related offices in the same building, you can only post the actual courtrooms or offices.

Actually, technically they don't even have to post them, because they are excluded by statute.

The Legislature just needs to do away with all these statutorily restricted areas and not allow cities/counties to post ANYTHING unless the AG preapproves it. I'm not sure I understand why courtrooms need to be excluded in the first place.

Dash Riprock

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Austin
    It is the City of Austin that is the problem, not all of Travis county.

Travis County is every bit as bad. Remember how they ran off the Saxet gun show a few years ago because the commissioners (except Daugherty) took it upon themselves to close the "gun show loophole"? Don't get me started on that.

ContactLeft

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2013
    Round Rock
    Travis County is every bit as bad. Remember how they ran off the Saxet gun show a few years ago because the commissioners (except Daugherty) took it upon themselves to close the "gun show loophole"? Don't get me started on that.

Didn't Travis Couty also institute a plastic bag ban? Or was that just Austin?

monkeywrench7

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2016
    I have before. It works fairly well....having to be concerned with keeping one side concealed. But I wouldn't do it on a OC rig.

Well the part about only having to conceal one side does make sense, but I still don't like it. Easier reload from non-dominant side (I.e. functionality) trumps conceal-ability, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Well the part about only having to conceal one side does make sense, but I still don't like it. Easier reload from non-dominant side (I.e. functionality) trumps conceal-ability, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm used to reloading revolvers by holding them in the non-dominant hand, so it's not that much of an adjustment. In fact, it keeps me from pinching my dominant hand with the mag on my LC9.

cbfurg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2016
    I just registered as a new Travis county voter. Hopefully I'll be able to help curb the madness.

TX14239

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2016
    Monkeywrench, Same for me. I'll take function over convenience any day of the week...

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom