Patriot Mobile

City (San Jose, CA) rejects bill to authorize bows and arrows to stop feral hogs

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Well it is California. What do you expect?
    Pigs ripping up yards in town.
    I can kind of see the point that arrow hunting isn't the gentlest way of harvesting.
    Arrowed screaming pigs running around bleeding out is kind of disconcerting.
    Can you just see Karen at the park watching some hog in its death throes? lawsuits. Lawsuits everywhere.
    Mere mention of firearm use turns California politicians into melted piles of poop so that's out.
    Trapping isn't very productive unless done on large scale. Which = $$$$.
    Meanwhile the city code officers hand out tickets for unkempt yards. L - O - f'ing - L.

MacZC7

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2020
    Texas
    People are full retard these days. No offense, retarded means underdeveloped...

Last edited:

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    Back in the late 90s, a Maryland town on the Eastern shore had so many accidents in town from people hitting deer, they allowed some hunting in town. Of course, deer are easier to bring down as well as do not fight back like hogs.

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Is it usual for any city as large as is San Jose (1,021,795 estimated population in 2019) to allow hunting within the city limits? If so, I'd maybe want to live in a large city that allowed that, especially if they allowed zombie hunting.:cool:
    Push away the pumpkins spice & halloween candy, zombie hunter!

Show me a big city that does not have rat control! What about city animal control (dog catchers)? Then there are places dealing with pigeons. Ever notice strip malls that develop only have the birds that roosted there still do? The glue on anti bird spikes on buildings? I have even see falconers working inside the loop in Houston.

And where you have airports especially in fly ways tell me they aint killing geese!

A lot of things happen @ night simply so the "animal lovers are not citing about it.

When a buddy of mine lived in Richmond, Tx he claimed there was archery hog hunting being done in some of the newer subdivisions.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Is it usual for any city as large as is San Jose (1,021,795 estimated population in 2019) to allow hunting within the city limits? If so, I'd maybe want to live in a large city that allowed that, especially if they allowed zombie hunting.:cool:

Glenn B,

FYI, ALL major cities in VA (where chartered cities are NOT part of the county) usually allow hunting in the city limits.
    (When I lived in Alexandria, VA, people, who knew that I was ONE of several city residents who had a suitable XB & a city-issued "depredation certificate" which allows any number of "nuisance deer & hogs" to be removed from the city , spent a lot of time calling me to request that WT be removed from their property. SOME people offered me a sum of MONEY to "kill out the eating machines".)

The Northern VA Field Archery Association has a LARGE number of both longbow & XB hunters & none of them "go hungry" for lack of fresh venison.
    (Hunters for the Hungry would NOT have nearly as much fresh meat for the poor, IF it was NOT for "cleaning out the deer & hogs" in CITY neighborhoods.)

NOTE: The amount of venison & feral pork given away by HFTH in suburban VA is measured in TONS.
    (Tommy Tillman, from Prince William County, gave away over 25 dressed-out hogs & about 10 WT deer in the last year that I lived in Northern VA)

NOTE: There are several areas in Northern VA were there are MORE than 250 WT to the square mile, according to the VPWD & at least one "fenced-off neighborhood" where there are more than 20X as many "resident" WT as there are people.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Glenn B,

FYI, ALL major cities in VA (where chartered cities are NOT part of the county) usually allow hunting in the city limits.
    (When I lived in Alexandria, VA, people, who knew that I was ONE of several city residents who had a suitable XB & a city-issued "depredation certificate" which allows any number of "nuisance deer & hogs" to be removed from the city , spent a lot of time calling me to request that WT be removed from their property. SOME people offered me a sum of MONEY to "kill out the eating machines".)

The Northern VA Field Archery Association has a LARGE number of both longbow & XB hunters & none of them "go hungry" for lack of fresh venison.
    (Hunters for the Hungry would NOT have nearly as much fresh meat for the poor, IF it was NOT for "cleaning out the deer & hogs" in CITY neighborhoods.)

NOTE: The amount of venison & feral pork given away by HFTH in suburban VA is measured in TONS.
    (Tommy Tillman, from Prince William County, gave away over 25 dressed-out hogs & about 10 WT deer in the last year that I lived in Northern VA)

yours, satx
    Interesting but I'd not move to VA with the politicsal climate there in current times even if they still allow hunting within cities.

I wonder though about that nowadays though since VA has changed a lot recently on its stance relative to firearms, maybe they changed with regard to hunting in cities as well, including archery. They certainly can ban hunting within the city limits if it is believed the area is too populated to safely hunt there (source) and I imagine it only a matter of time before the lefties there try to ban hunting in cities altogether (what a shame that would be). Any county in VA may do likewise (source). It must be nice though to be able to hunt in the large city but I wonder where do you go to see most of he game - at the zoo?:roflsmile:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014

They are afraid arrows could richochet and hurt bystanders? My question is: how long do things have to get there before they authorize suppressors, full auto firearms, and helicopter hunts?

Aus Schwaben,

I don't know that answer (even though I was stationed in The State of LEFTIST state of Kalifornication) but suspect that it won't be long until even the NITWITS there get tired enough of the HOGS to allow them to be "cleaned out". by virtually any means necessary.

I suspect (but do NOT know) when some areas of TX are going to allow BOTH hogs & WT deer to be killed-out of suburban/city neighborhoods (as they are in VA) BUT I don't think that it will be much longer. = Suburbanites QUICKLY get tired of their EXPENSIVE landscaping being ruined/eaten up & I suspect that the TPWD will soon be "bombarded with " complaints by homeowners to "get the eaters OUT of my yard"!!
    (Fyi, 2 weekends ago, my friend Norman Fulkerson & I went to Canyon Lake, TX to pick-up a boat/motor/trailer that the new owner of a house there "wanted out of the way". - In the 2 hours or less that it took to find the property where the boat was stored, "hand-roll it" over to an area where we could hook it up to the SUV & leave the neighborhood, we counted more than FIFTY WT in the neighborhoods.)

yours, satx

mad88minute

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 13, 2017
    Houston

They are afraid arrows could richochet and hurt bystanders? My question is: how long do things have to get there before they authorize suppressors, full auto firearms, and helicopter hunts?
    In SoCal, I had buddy get caught hunting hogs in a creek wash by our house. They got a helicopter in the air and spotlighted him.
    No arrest, just told to leave the public land before they dispatched ground units.

Sent from my moto e6 using Tapatalk

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Interesting but I'd not move to VA with the politicsal climate there in current times even if they still allow hunting within cities.

I wonder though about that nowadays though since VA has changed a lot recently on its stance relative to firearms, maybe they changed with regard to hunting in cities as well, including archery. They certainly can ban hunting within the city limits if it is believed the area is too populated to safely hunt there (source) and I imagine it only a matter of time before the lefties there try to ban hunting in cities altogether (what a shame that would be). Any county in VA may do likewise (source). It must be nice though to be able to hunt in the large city but I wonder where do you go to see most of he game - at the zoo?:roflsmile:

Glenn B,

FWIW, I have NOT lived in VA for several years BUT just last year in March, I was ASKED (in a series of emails/snail mails by one of the Northern VA cities) IF I wanted my "depredation permit" REISSUED (And YES they offered to "waive the 100.oo annual license fee", if I said "YES".), even though the city government KNOWS that I now have come home to Texas.
    (Fyi, I said, "SORRY, I don't have the money or the time to fly back to VA to take hogs/WT, when I'm living in TX" & suggested to the City Executive that they contact the NVFAA & offer "free permits" to the association's membership..)

NOTE TO ALL: DEPREDATION is NOT "sport hunting" in any real sense of the word. - It is simply KILLING & REMOVING the "4-footed eaters" from city/suburban yards.
    (One of the "permit shooters", who has a suppressed/licensed .357MAG LA Marlin rifle & a State-issued depredation permit, "removed" 14 WT in ONE night in 2019 from a Richmond city neighborhood.)

yours, satx

Last edited:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    This does present an interesting problem.
    How would you go about solving it?
    Remember this is a city with houses, building, people, traffic in every direction.
    Shooting - could be problematic with bullet pass-throughs, ricochets, and just plain old Bubba dumbassery.
    The optics of little baby Jeremy or 103yr old Grandmother Agatha taking a round while sleeping in bed would not be good.
    Bow and Arrow - pretty much the same as guns.
    The sight of wounded and leaking pigs running up and expiring on Karen's pristine Mediterranean tiled porch would cause freak outs.
    Trapping might get some.
    Fencing wouldn't work. Too expensive as well as ineffective.
    Poisoning? Maybe but dead stinking hogs everywhere would cause the PETA people to flip out.
    How could this be solved?

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Glenn B & All,

I seriously DOUBT that the situation of "permitted" killing-out of WT/hogs in the city neighborhoods & public parks will EVER be ended, if only because the HOAs & "Neighborhood Assns." have a LOT MORE money & political influence" than the "ANTI-Hunters" & "ANTI-2nd Amendment KOOKS" are ever likely to have.

yours, satx

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Trank dart and a hatchet. BIL in Tn had a pellet rifle he pumped up to chase the deer off his property.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    This does present an interesting problem.
    How would you go about solving it?
    Remember this is a city with houses, building, people, traffic in every direction.
    Shooting - could be problematic with bullet pass-throughs, ricochets, and just plain old Bubba dumbassery.
    The optics of little baby Jeremy or 103yr old Grandmother Agatha taking a round while sleeping in bed would not be good.
    Bow and Arrow - pretty much the same as guns.
    The sight of wounded and leaking pigs running up and expiring on Karen's pristine Mediterranean tiled porch would cause freak outs.
    Trapping might get some.
    Fencing wouldn't work. Too expensive as well as ineffective.
    Poisoning? Maybe but dead stinking hogs everywhere would cause the PETA people to flip out.
    How could this be solved?

Moonpie,

In VA "depredation licensees" are VERY CAREFULLY selected by the city/county/state government, are REQUIRED by the VPWD to "qualify with their weapon" in the presence of a VA Game Warden annually (There is NO "scoring with an M1 pencil", either - The Game Wardens are TOUGH!) & "permittees" MUST BE heavily insured against "untoward situations" that may happen while "thinning the herds".

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

I'm sorry (The DEVIL made me do it) but I have to tell our members about what happened to a friend (who is a "permittee",) & his bride of about 2 weeks in OCT 2018.

Bobby W_________ was laying on his bed & talking on his computer to the City Executive's office about "hunting in a city park", when his VERY attractive 26YO bride slipped into the room, "seductively" took off her clothes & got onto the bed & started "snuggling with" Bob. - Ms. W_______ was REALLY EMBARRASSED when she realized that Bob had his camera turned ON & that the County Exec's staff was "enjoying the sex show".
    (I LOL when Bob told me that story.)

yours, satx

Top Bottom