• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Howdy guys.. I have a problem that is leaving me a bit perplexed...

When I first got my '01 civic, I was making 34-36 mpg running 75-80 mpg. Then I got new wheels and tires. Went from the factory 14" steely to a 15inch. Tire size went from 185 70r14 to a 195 65r15. Not a big difference at all. I didn't see much (if any) loss in mileage when I made the change. My speedometer reading is off by up to 3 mph on the high end. My odometer is now off by 1 mile for every 40 miles driven. I compensated for that when calculating mileage.

As it stands, I just put 700 miles on my car, all hwy and I made 27mpg. It seems to have been slowly declining to the point that it just pisses me off now.

This car only has 112k miles. The engine has new plugs (10k miles ago), I have a very small oil leak at the valve cover, clean throttle body, new filter... The engine runs awesome. I'm not throwing any codes either.

I'm at a loss. I'm thinking I may need to replace the o2 sensors since I appear to be running rich... I could be wrong... I disconnected the battery and let the computer reset, checked my plugs (the look new still)... I can't find anything, at least not obvious. So now I'm frustrated...

Suggestions would be wonderful.
    Target Sports

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    T.I. : Absolutely, I started my check at those points. Tires are typically checked weekly anyway.

rls210

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2013
    San Antonio
    Check with the tire manu, and compare the number of revs per mile between your old set and your new set. Tire stagger could be off. A 3 mph diff is a surprising number of tire revs per mile. At one time I raced SCCA road races in a CRX and had to keep a 14 inch tire but was able to change from a 185/60 to a 205/55 and keep the same tire rpm's, with-in 3 rpm's per mile. Also check valve lash and throttle position sensor. You will probably have to have a dealer check the TPS.

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    At 112k it is due for o2 sensors.

If they're running correctly, no need to replace them. Get you a scan tool and read the o2 sensor readings. A factory repair manual will tell you the range the o2 sensors should be reading.

Playing "CALL OF DUTY IX: DOUGHNUT WARRIOR" does not make you a "cop". -wakal

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Check with the tire manu, and compare the number of revs per mile between your old set and your new set. Tire stagger could be off. A 3 mph diff is a surprising number of tire revs per mile. At one time I raced SCCA road races in a CRX and had to keep a 14 inch tire but was able to change from a 185/60 to a 205/55 and keep the same tire rpm's, with-in 3 rpm's per mile. Also check valve lash and throttle position sensor. You will probably have to have a dealer check the TPS.

It's been progressively getting worse. Like I said, there was little to no change in mpg after the wheel/tire change.. It's only recently (last 3 months or so) that I have been having noticeably bad mileage. But I will give all that a check. I have an OBD scanner that works with a tablet app that has been great for diagnosing and tracking changes in almost everything

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    If they're running correctly, no need to replace them. Get you a scan tool and read the o2 sensor readings. A factory repair manual will tell you the range the o2 sensors should be reading.

Playing "CALL OF DUTY IX: DOUGHNUT WARRIOR" does not make you a "cop". -wakal

Will do. Scanner is already in hand.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    I would imagine that you are using the AC some now. That will usually have a 15% drop in mpg.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    What kind of plug did you put in it? Also the content of alcohol in the fuel can greatly decrease the milage as it doesn't put out near the BTU's as pure gasoline.

Leper

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2008
    This is not a valid reason why milage Significantly decreases.

I disagree. Extra load on a small engine that is already dealing with more rotational mass and more unsung weight and a taller overall gear ratio will significantly alter mpg. I have dealt with this issue, on the same car he is driving, multiple times over the two decades i have worked for Honda.

Kyle

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2011
    Conroe
    Have you tried a injector cleaner or something like seafoam? It will clean the intake and may help.

I sure have. I run a bottle of seafoam through it ever 7-10k miles.

It's a clean little engine. The oil looks almost new when it comes time for an oil change too.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom