• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    I don't know about everyone else's feelings but I want to eventually get suppressors and build SBR AR15s.
    I currently do not have the Class III stamp for anything too fun yet.
    What is the best way for me to go to buy multiple suppressors and build multiple SBRs?
    This is a long term goal and I don't mind if the process takes months or years. Please provide me with any information on how I should go about this.
    Thanks,
    Saltyag
    Guns International

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    First see if your sheriff or police chief will sign the ATF transfer forms. If they flat out refuse you will need to form a trust, partnership, or corporation to hold your NFA items.

Obama is in the process of closing the trust/corp/LLC route so if your PD won't sign the sooner you get started with a trust/corp the better. Find a good Class 3 dealer who has been in the business a while. The great ones will take the time to walk you through each step and fill out all the paperwork for you so all you have to do is sign the forms.

Anyone can still apply to build a SBR or transfer a suppressor, but it's currently taking ATF 9-18 months to approve them. The electronic forms are faster but it must be running on the same server as obamacare. I still have 2 suppressors that the dealer hasn't been able to submit the eForms for two weeks because the system keeps locking up or crashing and kicking them out.

Last edited:

Saltyag2010

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 11, 2014
    Flour Bluff, America
    First see if your sheriff or police chief will sign the ATF transfer forms. If they flat out refuse you will need to form a trust, partnership, or corporation to hold your NFA items.

Obama is in the process of closing the trust/corp/LLC route so if your PD won't sign the sooner you get started with a trust/corp the better. Find a good Class 3 dealer who has been in the business a while. The great ones will take the time to walk you through each step and fill out all the paperwork for you so all you have to do is sign the forms.

Anyone can still apply to build a SBR or transfer a suppressor, but it's currently taking ATF 9-18 months to approve them. The electronic forms are faster but it must be running on the same server as obamacare. I still have 2 suppressors that the dealer hasn't been able to submit the eForms for two weeks because the system keeps locking up or crashing and kicking them out.

I will try the police chief/sheriff route. That sounds great.
    The trust forms sound like the gov at its best- slow and completely inefficient at every aspect. Good luck with your suppressors.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    The trust forms sound like the gov at its best- slow and completely inefficient at every aspect. Good luck with your suppressors.

I totally disagree with that.

The sheriff/police chief require finger prints, their sign off (and by default them knowing you have at least attempted to get that item). Plus you are then the only person who can possess that item. With a trust, no finger prints yet. Locals do now know what you have. Any trustee on the trust can possess the items. Trust easily amended to add/subtract trustees. Easy transfer in case of you death (trust does not die).

Go to the NFA sub-forum here and read up, tons of good information there. Sean Cody (SC_Texas) is one of the best around for helping you set up the trust. He is a member/moderator here, contact him for help

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    I totally disagree with that.

The sheriff/police chief require finger prints, their sign off (and by default them knowing you have at least attempted to get that item). Plus you are then the only person who can possess that item. With a trust, no finger prints yet. Locals do now know what you have. Any trustee on the trust can possess the items. Trust easily amended to add/subtract trustees. Easy transfer in case of you death (trust does not die).

I think he confused trust forms with the transfer. Trusts are easy to set up. The headaches begin when you apply for the transfer with ATF.

Even if your sheriff will sign the application you'll still get to enjoy the 9-18 month transfer approval process. It isn't something that only happens to trusts.

Last edited:

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    I think he mistakenly typed trust forms instead of transfer. Trusts are easy to set up. The headaches begin when you apply for the transfer with ATF.

Even if your sheriff will sign the application you'll still get to enjoy the 9-18 month transfer approval process. It isn't something that only happens to trusts.

Yeah, two phases. Getting ready to submit the paperwork packet is first part which is done a number of different ways. Second part is the same PIA for either method.

One disadvantage to trust, you have to pay to get it set up properly.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Trusts that use eFile are running 3 months.

OP, since you have a long term outlook, I suggest finding like minded individuals in your area and seeing what they have, what they like, dislike, etc. No different than being interest in Jeeps and hanging around Jeep owners.

Top Bottom