Not open for further replies.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    How about 'no one can post to this thread until they have 10 posts'

one of the forums i am on, you have to have 65 post's to get to the classifieds, and if they see you post whoring to get there, they knock it down and give you a warning, second time is a totally restricted account for a week.... 3rd time, ip ban

I've been subtle about it. Glad y'all got my back.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I would support a clause that the 5 posts must be constructive participation or "constructive in nature" in the forum such as other forums do; effectively eliminating post whoring in 3 month old threads to reach the required count.

Otherwise, the post rule means nothing. ;)

Good point. Interesting in theory but practically impossible to administrate. The number of posts could be raised possibly. No matter what restrictions you put on, there is a way around. Scammers generally aren't going to sign up, post a bunch of posts, then scam away. The rule won't eliminate the possibility but it should discourage the drive by scammers.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    Good point. Interesting in theory but practically impossible to administrate. The number of posts could be raised possibly. No matter what restrictions you put on, there is a way around. Scammers generally aren't going to sign up, post a bunch of posts, then scam away. The rule won't eliminate the possibility but it should discourage the drive by scammers.

That post was 4 months old and was quoting just one of the reasons a loose policy is worthless. This thread is full of them. Not saying they're all scammers, just that we don't know and by posting "Great", "My first", doesn't give someone credibility.

However, it's easily enforced. You just have to want to enforce it and use it as an added benefit to the members vs. a traffic draw. Many sites do a great job of keeping for sale forums for active members personal use. I've used this on once, but generally ignore most based on the perception of the people being drive by's and having become eligible by post whoring just to get to be able to sell.

Of course I'm a bit particular.

zembonez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    I saw that it was an older post... just jumping into the ongoing conversation. Certainly not picking on you.

I guess my meaning was mostly that scammers like the drive by method mostly and having an "any number" post requirement weeds out most of them. An individual with determination can easily get around that... I agree.

The BS posts certainly do not promote credibility... and you have every right to be particular.

Good day!

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I saw that it was an older post... just jumping into the ongoing conversation. Certainly not picking on you.

Sorry, I think my reply came across wrong. If I thought you were picking on me, I would have let you know and added some entertaining drama to this thread.

DABUG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Posting Pictures

Is there someone who can tell me how to post Photo's of some Pistols I'm looking to sell? Thanks Again

Blue Dog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    I think there should be a minimum of 20 posts. Have the new guy/gals participate in Texas Gun Talk. That way they get to know us and we get to know them a little. It's rude to go into somebody's house "Texas Gun Talk" and not introduce yourself and get acquainted a little before you want to try to sell your stuff.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think there should be a minimum of 20 posts. Have the new guy/gals participate in Texas Gun Talk. That way they get to know us and we get to know them a little. It's rude to go into somebody's house "Texas Gun Talk" and not introduce yourself and get acquainted a little before you want to try to sell your stuff.

If you look at a lot of the people selling, they do just that. Get a few posts replying to WTB threads or the "Nice Site" type posts in this thread (which makes me wonder) then start selling. Once they're done, they're gone. I look at anyone that's new and selling and if I see anything that doesn't show they're "members" I skip the ad. It's not an easy thing to manage without pissing some people off, but to build some kind of trust there are things that work.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    How about not even making the Classifieds section visible to non-registered users altogether. And not to registered members until a certain amount of posts AND/OR minimum number of days of registered membership.

Just look at the forum index. The forum with the most viewers on most any time of the day IS the Gun classifieds.

Again, no posting in this thread <10 posts

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    How about not even making the Classifieds section visible to non-registered users altogether. And not to registered members until a certain amount of posts AND/OR minimum number of days of registered membership.

Just look at the forum index. The forum with the most viewers on most any time of the day IS the Gun classifieds.

Again, no posting in this thread <10 posts

There is a minimum already, but it's only 5 I think, and just 5 unqualified posts.

Very few other forums have stringent enough rules to keep classified "clean" and trustworthy. But when you look at the activity and how it's used/abused it's a call for the owner as to whether it's that critical of a part of the forums to tighten it up. It's just not real comfortable when you look at some of these and how they pop up and disappear. Hopefully anyone trading with them are doing their due diligence as there is definitely questionable activity. Not t pick out any one person, but look at the most recent "members" and their posts and draw your own conclusion as to why they are most likely here. :rolleyes:

I digress, it's not mine and I ignore the classified now for the most part anyhow.

photofreeman

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Rules are Ok but lets be reasonable. Besides I thought TGTrader was going to get all the classifieds.

Oh boy I hope my last post meets the "quality" post test.
    "quality post" sounds kind of commie don't it.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Rules are Ok but lets be reasonable. Besides I thought TGTrader was going to get all the classifieds.

Oh boy I hope my last post meets the "quality" post test.
    "quality post" sounds kind of commie don't it.

Well here's the deal. When trying to grow the forum its imperative that members are solid contributing members. Otherwise when evaluated and we look at the number of members and say "Wow! We got X number of members!" and we think we're on the right track. In reality the number of active folks is much less than registered and we're actually not doing as well as we think as a forum

So, in regards to forum success and registered members, the board is doing very well if a large percentage is actually contributing rather than doing drive-by postings.

That isn't commie. That's basic program evaluation.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gilly
    Top Bottom