TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    This is becoming more and more of a problem lately. Lets recap:

-Do NOT post in the classifieds unless you are a buyer/seller with a legitimate question!

-Do NOT post in the classifieds to complain about someone's asking price!

-Restrict your posting to relevant questions about the product being sold, traded, etc.

When you post in a thread, it bumps that thread to the very top of the first page. In turn, this bumps the lowest thread on that page to the second page. What this means is, as you are busy posting high fives, congratulations, or other irrelevant posts in someone's classified, it is bumping people's ads off the first page and hurting their ability to sell their stuff. Make sense? Posts need to be kept to a MINIMUM in the classifieds! Where possible, the seller should make changes/additions to their ad by editing the original post, as this will not bump the thread to the very top.

As far as thread bumps, until we come up with something specific, lets just keep it simple. Only the thread originator should bump their thread, and not more than once every 4 days. That interval may change, but for now I'd say that's fair. Bumping every single day, and sometimes more than once per day (it happens) is not fair to the other 14,000 users of this site that may be wanting to sell their items as well.

People that do not follow these rules are going to start receiving warnings. For those that habitually break these rules, we can also start handing out bans. We don't want to do this, but it's becoming a serious problem lately. Please think before you post in the classifieds. Is it a question better done through PM's or email? Is it a question better asked through a non-classified section of the site? Lets keep things working smoothly for our fellow TGT'ers that are trying to sell their stuff people.
    Lynx Defense

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I understand everything you are saying, I would just like to suggest that you also allow any posts that would help in the sale of the item, e.g. positive, recommendations. For example, if someone is selling a GP100 revolver and I own one, it's OK that I post what a great pistol it is.

However, negative comments should not be allowed.

Just a suggestion....

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Understand what you're suggestin' M2, but disagree. Someone might have a POS gun up and get a coupla buddies to help him "promote" it. Keep it clean as suggested....

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I understand everything you are saying, I would just like to suggest that you also allow any posts that would help in the sale of the item, e.g. positive, recommendations. For example, if someone is selling a GP100 revolver and I own one, it's OK that I post what a great pistol it is.

However, negative comments should not be allowed.

Just a suggestion....

I understand what you're saying, the problem is every single post bumps it back to #1 on the first page. That means posts need to be as restricted as possible. Sometimes there have been classifieds that have had 15-20+ replies of totally irrelevant info. That makes it so there is one less spot on the first page for legitimate ads, sometimes for days or even a week on end. It doesn't matter if it's a good gun or not, the buyer should do their own homework. It's the seller's responsibility to sell their item, not anyone else's. They have the whole other rest of the forum to research if that is a decent item or not, and if they find nothing, then they can post a thread in the relevant non-classified section asking other people's opinions on the type of item.

Example: I severely dislike Taurus handguns. I recommend as many people as possible to avoid buying them as my personal experience over many years has shown me that they are not to be trusted. It's not right for me to go into every person's classified that's selling a Taurus, and post up a recommendation to others that they be wary of buying the gun because it's a Taurus. It's none of my business.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    Well, look at the AR Texan2 is selling. His feedback score got wiped clean somehow, but many of us know he's an upstanding member of this forum. Why wouldn't we be allowed to say that?

As for your Taurus example, that would be negative; but since I have had positive experiences with them that would only help the seller.

And I seriously doubt there'd be any huge conspiracy to sell a bad firearm to some unsuspecting schmuck, we're good folk on here for the most part and I just don't see that happening.

I'm not even sure why this is an issue, there are tons of other threads being bumped with bullshit comments, why is it a big deal in the classifireds?!?

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I'm not even sure why this is an issue, there are tons of other threads being bumped with bullshit comments, why is it a big deal in the classifireds?!?

I'd say because if you read the first post, the idea is to let the listing stay on top be the newer/more active ones based on potential BUYER interest...understand what you're sayin', M2, but I think the intent is that we not artificially keep one given thread "on top".

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX

People generally do not go past the first page or 2 on classifieds, and heck a number of other sections as well. The more people's threads keep getting bumped back, the harder it is for them to sell their stuff.

FlashBang

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Bastrop TX
    Enforce the location in the title rule...... and whats up with the "I'm thinking about selling it if I get a good enough offer" crap? You are either selling it or you're not.

I must be getting my period.. I'm grouchy today.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Enforce the location in the title rule...... and whats up with the "I'm thinking about selling it if I get a good enough offer" crap? You are either selling it or you're not.

The "thinking about selling" is usually just a sly way to make an auction, and one that doesn't have a set reserve. Let's not turn TGT into that...

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    All great recommendations guys! We'll be looking at all those and making changes in the near future. We have a lot of work ahead of us, but things will be improved.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I was happy to see this thread posted. Some of the classifieds have become a complete nightmare. While I lean towards majormadmax's point about adding positives, I do follow the logic of just keeping the classified clean. And I absolutely agree with all the posts about stomping out the "thinking about selling" crap.

Jason

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Austiin area

I agree with the thinking about selling, but I only agree with the location in the title if your location listed by your name is not the location of the item...

Clockwork

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Sometimes I just like to chime in when someone is selling something that I own to say, "I love my...XXXXX!" or something like that.

:(

You're a MONSTER, Travis!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom