Cleaning the bore...

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Anybody got advice or product for bore cleaning???? When I come back from the range I typically have 3-4 pistols to clean. Cleaning the )(*&*^&%*)&) bores is a pain-in-the-ass. It probably takes me 45-60 minutes per bore to get it pretty clean. I'm using Hoppe's Traditional foaming bore cleaner, Hoppe's #9 Gun Bore Cleaner and then some "Eliminator Bore Cleaner" I got off Amazon.

Method I use:

1.) Fill bore with Hoppe's foaming bore cleaner - set it aside.
2.) After foam dissipates I swab bore with patch and either Hoppe's #9 Gun bore cleaner or the Eliminator Bore Cleaner - set it aside.
3.) 5 or so minutes later I use the phosphor bronze brush 50 strokes in one direction 50 strokes in the other direction.
4.) Remove bore cleaner using patch/jag until all cleaner is removed. Patch comes out clean.
5.) Take q-tip swab and saturate with bore cleaner and swab bore - comes out with black contamination on it.
6.) Repeat steps 1 though 5

I'll go through that loop 4-5 times. I have yet to get the q-tip in step 6 to come out 100% clean. It comes out mostly clean with a little grey from some areas. I look down the barrel and the corner created by the rifling land still looks grey but I have never been able to eliminate that. Got me to thinking about a sonic cleaner filled with bore cleaner and do all the barrels at one time. Anyone have a better method or product to cut down on the time required?

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
Apr 13, 2018
Palmer.
Oh boy. I love these threads. Let the ocd begin.

I used to put a lot of detail into cleaning. Just buy hoppes oil, some clp spray, some rags, some q-tips, hoppes bore solvent and a bore snake. Just be done with it.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Oct 5, 2013
Georgetown
JMHO, but I think you are spending to much time and energy cleaning the bore. Unless you are shooting a lot of lead ammo, you don't even need the bore foam. I usually run a patch wet with CLP down the tube, let it sit 10 minutes, then a few (2 or3) passes with a brass brush.
Then another wet patch, followed by as many dry patches as it takes to get most of the carbon out. Usually about 5 patches. I never have gotten a 100% clean patch either. :)

50 strokes of the bronze brush each way? Seriously? Unless you clean the brush between uses, it's going to leave some residue in the barrel every time.

Last edited:

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
JMHO, but I think you are spending to much time and energy cleaning the bore. Unless you are shooting a lot of lead ammo, you don't even need the bore foam. I usually run a patch wet with CLP down the tube, let it sit 10 minutes, then a few (2 or3) passes with a brass brush.
Then another wet patch, followed by as many dry patches as it takes to get most of the carbon out. Usually about 5 patches. I never have gotten a 100% clean patch either. :)

50 strokes of the bronze brush each way? Seriously? Unless you clean the brush after each pass, it's going to leave some residue in the barrel every time.
Absolutely correct! Now... I'm trying to figure out how to reduce time/effort w/o leaving bore dirty!

Wiliamr

Well-Known
TGT Supporter
Apr 15, 2011
Austin
You will never get a perfectly clean patch out of a bore shot with smokeless powder. You might with a bore shot with black powder. The nitro in smokeless creats some incredible carbon bonding and getting a grey patch is pretty much as good as it gets. DONOT forget to run an oily patch into bore after cleaning. The bare stripped steel will begin to rust almost immediately. It is counterintuitive, but the closer you get to a stripped clean bore the more likely the bore will rust. In many respects the light carbon fouling prevents the bore from being totally exposed to the atmospheric humidity.

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
Jul 14, 2020
USA
Copper jacketed... Whether the bore "needs" to be THAT clean is debatable I suppose. What I'm looking for is a method/materials to get it THAT clean with reduced effort/time. Still wondering about a sonic cleaner with bore cleaner solution.

ETA: I do swab with gun oil or spray the bore with clp once I'm done cleaning...

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
TGT Supporter
Jul 23, 2019
Silsbee, Texas
I just use soap and water.

Glock Washing.jpg

Top Bottom