• seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    You guys clean your guns?

Strange.

I buy guns that run dirty. If not I clean them at the range after they fail. This helps tell me which ones not to grab in an emergency.

It sounds like some of y'all are trying to get the rifling out of there.
    You don't change the oil and air filters on your vehicle either, do you?.....

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Sam7sf

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2018
    Texas
    I dont boresnake or do anything to my hunting rifles once its sighted in for the season
    I sight my rifles in with cold bore shots. Time consuming but relaxing. I haven’t had a problem with zero shifting as long as I rechecked torqued on rings, mounts, stock screws ect. I just give the bore snake a bit of hoppes bore cleaner and one or two passes.

Reactions: MTA

Dougw1515

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2020
    USA
    I used to chase clean white patches while cleaning. In milsurps you can imagine how long that took.

I gave up on that and go for "close enough for government work" now. That is if I even remember to clean my guns. Other than my revolvers, I don't clean anything for 2-3 range trips. I'm probably 2000 rounds into my 10/22 Takedown without a cleaning. I'm now waiting to see how long that will run until it fails before I clean it again.

A liberal dousing of Ballistol in the bores and actions. Let it sit for about 20 minutes and then a few swipes with a bore snake. A couple of passes with a cleaning brush and then a patch or two on a jag if I'm feeling like it. Clean the rest of the gun with rags and nylon bristle brush and call it good.
    I'll probably reach that stage - one of these days. For the most part I'm like an on/off switch. If I'm gonna clean it - it's going to be clean. Other wise I ain't jackin' with it until - I'm gonna clean it!

MTA

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Mar 10, 2017
    Fannin
    I sight my rifles in with cold bore shots. Time consuming but relaxing. I haven’t had a problem with zero shifting as long as I rechecked torqued on rings, mounts, stock screws ect. I just give the bore snake a bit of hoppes bore cleaner and one or two passes.

Kinda like sports people wearing their socks inside out or whatever for good luck. Im not touching the bore once its sighted. Ive killed four deer so far with my .308 (this season) and I dont want to get the voodoo on it by messing with the bore

Last edited:

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Was anything corrosive (blackpowder, certain primers, ect) used? Does the gun still function reliably? Is there leading or excessive copper fouling in the barrel? Did they go for a swim in the ocean? If not, then they go right back in the safe. I periodically clean them and make sure they remain in good shape, but I do not obsess over them. I might oil/lube them or give them a good wipe down if they need it, but unless there's a real reason to clean them, I don't. For me, that usually means blackpowder or surplus ammo. Those usually get the hot soapy water treatment. Ballistol and water works too. Everything else gets Hoppes or CLP down the bore.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Was anything corrosive (blackpowder, certain primers, ect) used? Does the gun still function reliably? Is there leading or excessive copper fouling in the barrel? Did they go for a swim in the ocean? If not, then they go right back in the safe. I periodically clean them and make sure they remain in good shape, but I do not obsess over them. I might oil/lube them or give them a good wipe down if they need it, but unless there's a real reason to clean them, I don't. For me, that usually means blackpowder or surplus ammo. Those usually get the hot soapy water treatment. Ballistol and water works too. Everything else gets Hoppes or CLP down the bore.
    All ammo combustion byproducts are corrosive to a degree. Just some more so than others.

I would recommend cleaning after every range trip.

Maverick44

Youngest old man on TGT.
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    All ammo combustion byproducts are corrosive to a degree. Just some more so than others.

I would recommend cleaning after every range trip.

Smokeless powder and modern primers are not corrosive enough to harm your bore. As long as the bore has some kind of preventative agent such as a thin oil on it (to protect it against moisture in the air), it's gonna be fine. I'm not worried about it. Like I said, I might not clean them obsessively, but I do take care of them and keep them in good shape.

In all honesty, over cleaning is likely to cause far more damage to the bore than never cleaning would. I doubt most use a bore guide.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    Smokeless powder and modern primers are not corrosive enough to harm your bore. As long as the bore has some kind of preventative such as a thin oil on it (to protect it against moisture in the air), it's gonna be fine. I'm not worried about it. Like I said, I might not clean them obsessively, but I do take care of them and keep them in good shape.

In all honesty, over cleaning is likely to cause far more damage to the bore than never cleaning would. I doubt most use a bore guide.

IMO, rust is a bigger problem than corrosion from modern ammo.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    Smokeless powder and modern primers are not corrosive enough to harm your bore. As long as the bore has some kind of preventative agent such as a thin oil on it (to protect it against moisture in the air), it's gonna be fine. I'm not worried about it. Like I said, I might not clean them obsessively, but I do take care of them and keep them in good shape.

We will just have to agree to disagree on that.

Top Bottom