• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    The real trick is to address the issue after each range trip. Don't wait until after several trips when it has "caked up" and aged.

This is what I do.
    After each range trip apply some solvent to the face and allow it to soak for a while. Then wipe away with a clean cloth.
    May take a couple of applications but it gets most of the fouling off.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf

I love these they work great, on my stainless steel guns. If I remember right they recommend they not be used on blue guns.

Years ago when those cloths first came out there was a thread like this specifically talking about these cloths and I remember a guy mentioning he just rubbed the burns off the front of his cylinder with the pink eraser on the end of a pencil. I tried it and it worked pretty good, not as good as these cloths but pretty high up there over most other things I'd tried.

Not sure what it would do to a blue finish. I never tried it on one but I doubt it is any more hash that scraping it with a pocket knife.

orbitup

Sticker Cop
    Nov 6, 2010
    Waxyscratchy
    Just buy extra cylinders and throw the fouled ones away! :green:

2ec2ixu.jpg

RevolverGuy

Aug 8, 2013
    Unless it touches the forcing cone. It's a permanent decoration. You can soak it in Hoppes #8. Other then that, mechanically you can't remove it without rubbing through or scratching the blue. If it was stainless, Flizt metal polish takes it right off.

I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts to touch the cone.

Agree. I scrub it with a bronze brush and maybe some solvent.

Trying to keep it completely clean seems like having your car detailed every time you drive it.

Top Bottom