Join TexasGunTalk

Cleaning your own carpets

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by TX69, Oct 8, 2013.

1. TX69

TX69 TGT Addict

Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The wife is on me to call and get a company to come out and clean our carpets. Between myself and two big dogs we make a good mess that needs a commercial type machine to suck the dirt out. In an effort to save a few bucks I don't mind renting the machine and doing the work myself.

Has anyone here rented a Rug doctor machine from the grocery store and done their own carpets? How well did it go and would you do it again?

2. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Nothing you can rent has the "suck" that those commercial machines have. Look for coupons. It's worth having a pro do it. Just went through this.

FYI, most new carpets get damaged from steam. Hot water good, steam bad.

3. CanTex

CanTex Active Member TGT Supporter

Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Tips for cleaning. Vacuum, clean out the vacuum and repeat. Rent a good quality machine from local store. Use HOT water. Extract 2 or 3 times the time you put down water. Carpet should be just slightly damp to the touch when you are done. Open the windows if it is a nice day, put a fan or two to blow across the carpet if you desire.

Use cardboard pieces wrapped in foil or wax paper between the carpet and any furniture legs that are not plastic while the carpet is drying.

If you have stains, pre treat after vacuuming and before starting the machine. If you have urine or other mess, you may wish to get an enzyme urine product to take care of those prior to doing any of the other work.

Now, figure out that you will spend about an hour per room and calculate how many hours you need. Have I done it, yes. Would I do it again? yes if it were one room, but not if it was 3 or more.

If a professional company quotes you a price over the phone, be leery of them. The good ones will price according to room square footage as well as amount of furniture to be moved and blocked as well as the type of carpet and the level and types of staining.

4. PhulesAu

PhulesAu TGT Addict

Jul 26, 2013
    Texas, Mostly
    oops steam clean.

5. SR9TEX

SR9TEX Active Member

Sep 23, 2013
    Just buy your own and do 3 passes on each room and it will work. That's what I do more time consuming but when you own your own machine you can do it all on your time as many times as you like.

6. deemus

deemus my mama says I'm special

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The carpet cleaners you buy at the store don't work that great. I have one.

7. AngeliaH

AngeliaH Life's Peachy TGT Supporter

Aug 5, 2012
    Central Texas
    Done it both ways. Prefer to have someone else do it. Didn't seem to get it as clean myself as they can.

8. no2gates

no2gates Well-Known

Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Those rental machines are the best way to do it yourself. Nothing I've seen that you can buy has the amount of suction that the rental machines have.

9. txbikerman

txbikerman TGT Addict

Jul 10, 2013
    mckinney
    having it done is so much easier , more expensive though

10. robertc1024

robertc1024 Test Test Test TGT Supporter

Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Switch to hardwood. I rented a couple of the steam cleaners at HEB - they worked pretty well. Pre treating is a must.