• ...and so much more!
  • TX69

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 23, 2012
    DFW
    The wife is on me to call and get a company to come out and clean our carpets. Between myself and two big dogs we make a good mess that needs a commercial type machine to suck the dirt out. In an effort to save a few bucks I don't mind renting the machine and doing the work myself.

Has anyone here rented a Rug doctor machine from the grocery store and done their own carpets? How well did it go and would you do it again?

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Nothing you can rent has the "suck" that those commercial machines have. Look for coupons. It's worth having a pro do it. Just went through this.

FYI, most new carpets get damaged from steam. Hot water good, steam bad.

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Tips for cleaning. Vacuum, clean out the vacuum and repeat. Rent a good quality machine from local store. Use HOT water. Extract 2 or 3 times the time you put down water. Carpet should be just slightly damp to the touch when you are done. Open the windows if it is a nice day, put a fan or two to blow across the carpet if you desire.

Use cardboard pieces wrapped in foil or wax paper between the carpet and any furniture legs that are not plastic while the carpet is drying.

If you have stains, pre treat after vacuuming and before starting the machine. If you have urine or other mess, you may wish to get an enzyme urine product to take care of those prior to doing any of the other work.

Now, figure out that you will spend about an hour per room and calculate how many hours you need. Have I done it, yes. Would I do it again? yes if it were one room, but not if it was 3 or more.

If a professional company quotes you a price over the phone, be leery of them. The good ones will price according to room square footage as well as amount of furniture to be moved and blocked as well as the type of carpet and the level and types of staining.

SR9TEX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2013
    Just buy your own and do 3 passes on each room and it will work. That's what I do more time consuming but when you own your own machine you can do it all on your time as many times as you like.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    The carpet cleaners you buy at the store don't work that great. I have one.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Those rental machines are the best way to do it yourself. Nothing I've seen that you can buy has the amount of suction that the rental machines have.

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Switch to hardwood. I rented a couple of the steam cleaners at HEB - they worked pretty well. Pre treating is a must.

shortround

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2011
    Grid 0409
    Every time we rented a rug cleaning machine was a waste of time, effort and money.

We now vaccuum weekly, and replace the carpet and pad every ten years. No different than a mattress.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    My custodian at the school ran a side business cleaning houses. She told be the beat way to clean a carpet with one of those machines was to use clean water only. That way soap residue was not a problem in the rinse action. I guess she spot cleaned tough places with soap.....but not the entire carpet.

I fixed mine! I ripped out every shred of carpet and had ceramic tile installed 100%. It's so much better for my allergies. I would never consider carpet again!

Flash

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom