• ...and so much more!
  • Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    They save lives, but not all lives.

After my accident there were several rollovers where the teens were thrown from the car, only to suffer minor cuts, bruises and a broken ankle. I often wonder if I would not have been wearing my belt if I would have been thrown and survived, or thrown and killed. As it stands, I was merely paralyzed with a broken neck.

I don't know if all accident victims wonder 'what if', but I do. I also know God has his plans and I probably would have ended up the way I am regardless. But I still don't understand.

nothin is absolute, but, your odds of living and avoiding serious injury are immeasurably increased by staying IN a car during an accident. having 4k-6- of steel around you protects you better than flying through the air on your own. a teen who walks away from an ejection is in the small, small minority of those ejected.
    Hurley's Gold

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I agree. But can you tell me if I would not have been the small minority???

I saw my truck too after my accident. I shouldn't have lived.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I agree. But can you tell me if I would not have been the small minority???

I saw my truck too after my accident. I shouldn't have lived.

I'm glad you pulled through, and sorry to hear about the paralysis. There is no way anyone can say what "might have" happened.

I know this from seeing more car accidents than most folks....
    there is no way I would ever bet that I'm better off w/o a seat belt on. should the govt. MAKE you wear one? who knows, but there is no way any type of reasonable arguement can be made that infers that you are better off without one on or better of getting ejected than staying in a car. The statistics are soooo clear on this subject.....they are overwhelming.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I'm not getting into the "should be wearing belts" because I'm conflicted anyway. Yes, I follow the law. I'm also a rider and think riders can choose for themselves but I sure as heck know helmets save melons. So I stay out of the belts/helmets ruckus and only speak for myself on events that have happened to me and my own.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I'm not getting into the "should be wearing belts" because I'm conflicted anyway. Yes, I follow the law. I'm also a rider and think riders can choose for themselves but I sure as heck know helmets save melons. So I stay out of the belts/helmets ruckus and only speak for myself on events that have happened to me and my own.

its unfortunate that you are not convinced but the evidence is overwhelming that seat belts save lives.

your argument is akin to saying I smoked my whole life and didnt get lung cancer, so it must not really be unhealthy....those that dont wear them and survive were just lucky. i have heard every excuse and arguement for not wearing them and none of them hold water.
    if a wreck was violent enough to total your vehicle, most likely, had you been ejected, they would have taken what was left of you straight to the funeral home.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Don't beat your head against the wall and don't make it sound as if I'm some kind of lost cause because I'm not cookoo for cocoa puffs about seat belts. I've always worn them, always will. But I also wonder what the result would have been if I wasn't wearing it. Near death does that. If you're fortunate enough to not ever experience not knowing that you just went out and somehow woke up again, you should at the very least not antagonize someone by sterilizing the argument.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    Don't beat your head against the wall and don't make it sound as if I'm some kind of lost cause because I'm not cookoo for cocoa puffs about seat belts. I've always worn them, always will. But I also wonder what the result would have been if I wasn't wearing it. Near death does that. If you're fortunate enough to not ever experience not knowing that you just went out and somehow woke up again, you should at the very least not antagonize someone by sterilizing the argument.

Ok...well I didnt see it as beating my head against a wall or calling you a "lost cause"...merely pointing out that not being sure if wearing a seat belt makes you safer is not a solid position to stand on.
    My intention was to reassure you that if you were in 1000 accidents, you would be safer with a belt on in about 996 of them. I would take those odds everytime.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Ok...well I didnt see it as beating my head against a wall or calling you a "lost cause"...merely pointing out that not being sure if wearing a seat belt makes you safer is not a solid position to stand on.
    My intention was to reassure you that if you were in 1000 accidents, you would be safer with a belt on in about 996 of them. I would take those odds everytime.

I'm merely stating my very personal thoughts on what I think to myself in wondering about my accident. I'm not going to preach for anyone else. I'm dang pissed that I wore mine and ended up like I did when others ended up perfectly fine for doing less. You dang right I'm not sure if it makes you safer. I've seen people killed in lesser accidents than mine. It isn't strictly a numbers a game when you're one of the numbers. It's real easy to talk stats when you aren't one of them. I am one and I'm still not over it 11 years later (can you tell I hide it well?). I've been told a million times it was a good thing I was wearing my selt belt. Well, I nod my head and I do it to comfort others. But frankly I don't 100% believe it was my belt that kept me here. The Man Upstairs saw to it, not the belt.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I'm merely stating my very personal thoughts on what I think to myself in wondering about my accident. I'm not going to preach for anyone else. I'm dang pissed that I wore mine and ended up like I did when others ended up perfectly fine for doing less. You dang right I'm not sure if it makes you safer. I've seen people killed in lesser accidents than mine. It isn't strictly a numbers a game when you're one of the numbers. It's real easy to talk stats when you aren't one of them. I am one and I'm still not over it 11 years later. I've been told a million times it was a good thing I was wearing my selt belt. Well, I nod my head and I do it to comfort others. But frankly I don't 100% believe it was my belt that kept me here. The Man Upstairs saw to it, not the belt.

Again...I dont know what it is like to be in your situation, and am soory that it happened to you. But, it doesn't change the facts about safety belts. It is unfortunate that you chose to see the belt as something that paralysed you instead of saved your life. i dont know your situation, or what the specifics were.
    It appears that no amount of proof will convince you as to the value of belts so I will bring this discussion to an end....

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    Again...I dont know what it is like to be in your situation, and am soory that it happened to you. But, it doesn't change the facts about safety belts. It is unfortunate that you chose to see the belt as something that paralysed you instead of saved your life. i dont know your situation, or what the specifics were.
    It appears that no amount of proof will convince you as to the value of belts so I will bring this discussion to an end....

Why is it unfortunate how I see belts? Is it my outlook or my actions that matter? As I already told you, I wear them, I follow the law. Always have, always will. What is the reason you are caught up on my feelings towards the object itself?

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    ...you're right, I am mistaken :rolleyes:

its unfortunate that you are not convinced

It is unfortunate that you chose to see the belt as something that paralysed you instead of saved your life. i dont know your situation, or what the specifics were.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I am sorry for your loss.
    The laws says wear it and common sense does too.
    I usually obey both.
    NO BODY DIED! That is the point, had he been wearing it he WOULD HAVE died. Being ejected from the vehicle saved his life.
    And I wear my seat belt and would probably continue to do so even if the law were abolished. but the fact still remains that the government should not be forcing me to do it.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    One rare incident bud. Seat belts do more than just save your ass in a wreck, they retain your body from moving so that you can remain in control of a loose vehicle.
    That is the best reason I've heard so far. I still think that in most cases if the car is to the point that you are being tossed around in the drivers seat the wheels ain't on the road/ground any more.

I personally wear my seat belt when I'm driving. I feel naked without it, and I don't like the sensation of movement I get without it.
    Me to but once again, the government should not have a say in it. The reason you gave above is the only reason they should, and I'm still not convinced.

I personally saw 2 APD SGTs and one Corporal hanging out at Jim's reading the newspaper for over an hour looking for crime fighting tips.
    huh..... how do you find seat belt crime fighting tips in a news paper?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    From a public safety pov, I wonder what the stats are for cell phone vs seat belts.

Which causes more accidents, injuries, deaths, etc..
    I'd say cell phones. But that is something that takes your focus off driving so it is a different ball game than wearing a seat belt. But I will bet my Friday night beer money that cell pones kill almost as many people as drunks.

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Me to but once again, the government should not have a say in it. The reason you gave above is the only reason they should, and I'm still not convinced.

Being very much a conservative, I tend to agree with that. I'd like the government to stop dictating anything about what I choose to do that effects only me or my family. But therein lays the rub. They can always find a way to say you ARE effecting others by not complying with their edicts. "Seat belts save lives they'll say", "so insurance rates for all will be positively effected." or by not legalizing marijuana, "there will be less crime" You get the idea, they (self serving government officials) are the spin masters.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    So would I. Therefore I believe this to be a money grab more than a public safety issue.

You need to talk to those that work wrecks...see people ejected or stuck halfway out a windshield, see the carnage and half to go tell some family member their kid/husband/wife is dead.
    I am not saying whether the govt. should tell you to wear a belt or not, but there are good intentions in the law.....its more than a money grab.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    You need to talk to those that work wrecks...see people ejected or stuck halfway out a windshield, see the carnage and half to go tell some family member their kid/husband/wife is dead.
    I am not saying whether the govt. should tell you to wear a belt or not, but there are good intentions in the law.....its more than a money grab.
    I have talked to the guys that work the wrecks. Not only did I grow up in a law enforcement/fire fighter family I also worked with DPS Troopers 6 days a week for 8 or 9 months. I have assisted with a fatality accident that permanently engraved images into my head that I wish would disappear. I know what you are talking about more than you think. I think D is right. The more tickets you write the more fines are handed out and the more fines that get paid to the city/county/state the more money PD's have for new equipment, more man hours and countless other thing that both the Agency and the public needs. But regardless of how many lives the law saves. It was put into effect by people that don't give a damn about my life, unless that means that I don't vote in their direction then they care about my every need.:patriot:

Top Bottom