• ...and so much more!
  • navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    Does anyone not wear their seat belt? I find my self putting it on just to back the car out of the garage. Feel odd with it off.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    Does anyone not wear their seat belt? I find my self putting it on just to back the car out of the garage. Feel odd with it off.
    My dad wasn't the night his patrol car flipped on 2243. He would have been killed in the wreck had he been wearing his seat belt. OR at least that is what I was told by the guys my dad worked with. I've seen the dash cam vid from the first responding officer, it was not comforting to look at his car.

Seat belts should be an option there is no "public" safety issue, the life at stake is your own. I relate it to saying that guns kill people all by themselves. So I click it, I don't want to but I do. That is was counts I guess.

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    I wear mine everytime I get into a vehicle. As for people who don't that is their personal choice its just like the not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    I always wear mine, like putting on deodorant before leaving the house

I had a bad rollover years ago. I was wearing my seat belt. I got tired of answering the question after wards "Were you wearing your seat belt?". What the heck do you think? It's the law, it's what I was taught, of course I was.

robocop10mm

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    Round Rock
    STEP. Selective Traffic Enforcement Program. State/Federal grant funds for OT to enforce specific laws. Speeding, seat belts, DWI are the big three. Hey it's "free Federal money"!

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    Holidays are big travel times and the big alphabet agencies encourage the police to stop more DWI's and seatbelt violators to save lives.
    Personally I always wear my belt but I do not care if someone else does not. Actually I would prefer it as they will die much quicker and make more room for me. The only problem I have with a person not wearing their seatbelt is that it effects car insurance rates. By that I mean that when you do not wear your belt you generally (not always) get injured more and/or ejected. Then you require more medical treatment and cost SOMEONE more money, whether it is taxpayers if nobody has insurance or your/other drivers insurance.

I have had 1 crash in the last 20 years of driving and 2 moving violations yet my insurance rates go up annually.

It is the law so no matter what you fell is right or wrong, wear your belt. If you hate the law then contact your legislators to get the Texas seatbelt law repealed.
    If you do not wear your belt then fine with me but do not soak up my tax money when you crash and get mangled...just pass away cheaply.

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I do wear my seat belt every time I get in my car. I do not think that there should be a law in place telling me I have to. So are you saying that my father should have died when he wreck his patrol car instead of living threw it just because of a seat belt?

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    If you do not wear your belt then I have no sympathy for your injuries.
    I have lost family members years back for not wearing their belts too....it is called learning from the mistakes from others.
    If the shoe fits...

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    If you do not wear your belt then I have no sympathy for your injuries.
    I have lost family members years back for not wearing their belts too....it is called learning from the mistakes from others.
    If the shoe fits...
    For what ever reason he did not have his seat belt on when he was in his Wilco SO patrol car that night. If he would have been wearing the seat belt when the car rolled he would have been killed in that wreck. The car's roof was touching the seat not the head rest the the spot wear your ass goes. He spent 11 days in ICU. I can remember having a little dry erase board to talk to him because he couldn't move his head. So I personally would rather him be alive than dead.

Burt Gummer

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Williamson County
    For what ever reason he did not have his seat belt on when he was in his Wilco SO patrol car that night. If he would have been wearing the seat belt when the car rolled he would have been killed in that wreck. The car's roof was touching the seat not the head rest the the spot wear your ass goes. He spent 11 days in ICU. I can remember having a little dry erase board to talk to him because he couldn't move his head. So I personally would rather him be alive than dead.

I am sorry for your loss.
    The laws says wear it and common sense does too.
    I usually obey both.

Texas1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2017
    Austin, TX

One rare incident bud. Seat belts do more than just save your ass in a wreck, they retain your body from moving so that you can remain in control of a loose vehicle.

I personally wear my seatbelt when I'm driving. I feel naked without it, and I don't like the sensation of movement I get without it.

I personally saw 2 APD SGTs and one Corporal hanging out at Jim's reading the newspaper for over an hour looking for crime fighting tips.

texas_teacher

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2009
    South Korea

with those $200 tickets and them not giving any warnings out for violations it isn't worth not to put it on... $200 is a lot of ammo... well maybe not a lot with prices right now but it is ammo nevertheless...

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    My dad wasn't the night his patrol car flipped on 2243. He would have been killed in the wreck had he been wearing his seat belt. OR at least that is what I was told by the guys my dad worked with. I've seen the dash cam vid from the first responding officer, it was not comforting to look at his car.

Seat belts should be an option there is no "public" safety issue, the life at stake is your own. I relate it to saying that guns kill people all by themselves. So I click it, I don't want to but I do. That is was counts I guess.
    Your dad's situation is a tragedy, but seat belts DO save lives. Arguing anything else is like arguing that cigarettes don't cause cancer.

Shorts

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Texas
    They save lives, but not all lives.

After my accident there were several rollovers where the teens were thrown from the car, only to suffer minor cuts, bruises and a broken ankle. I often wonder if I would not have been wearing my belt if I would have been thrown and survived, or thrown and killed. As it stands, I was merely paralyzed with a broken neck.

I don't know if all accident victims wonder 'what if', but I do. I also know God has his plans and I probably would have ended up the way I am regardless. But I still don't understand.

Top Bottom