DK Firearms

..closing the LAST lead smelting facility..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shotgun Jeremy

Spelling Bee Champeon
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 8, 2012
    Central Texas
    Ugh....i have to go digging and see if i can find it, but I saw a post on fb last night talking about this. In one of the comments, someone spoke up and said they work for one smelting factory in America that isn't going anywhere any time soon and they have friends at two others. They listed company names and locations. I'll see if I can find it during lunch.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Having lived for years in the lead/zinc mining capital of the US (Kansas, Missouri and Oklahoma), I have a different "take" on this closure. The "Smelter" takes lead/zinc from the Galena ore and refines it into bulk lead. Lead/zinc mining is almost non existent due to EPA regulations. In fact, much of the "Jack" mining land in those three states was declared a superfund EPA disaster! It's hard to run a smelter operation when ore isn't coming in to process.

Here's some information about the golden days of Jack mining. I tromped over every inch of this area!

http://www.geospectra.net/kite/picher/picher.htm

http://schehrer2.homestead.com/hockerville1.html

Incidentally, in the three state Jack mining area, you can see scores of refining and smelter ruins that closed when the mining played out.

Most of our lead now, is recycled and that points to the best part of utilizing lead. You can recycle the material as many times as you wish. We just need to improve how we recycle lead and we'll be fine.

Expect a price increase ......for sure but we've seen that already.

Flash

Last edited:

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    From what ive read this place didn't even make lead for bullets theres a bunch of smaller "secondary" places that smelt all the lead for ammo. either way this place was a drop in the bucket in the ammo world.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    If our members really NEED to get revved up over this lead "issue" no one can stop them. Lead is easy to recycle and we've been doing it for many years.

Having ridden motorcycles for 50 years, I am really into leather coats. Notice how our leather coats all come from places like Pakistan? The leather tanning process is so environmentally ugly, hides are shipped overseas to be prepared and since the hides are there, the sewing process is done there, too. That means the coats & garments come from the places that also tan the hides.

I SAW what lead & zinc "Jack" mining did to the environment. I've been to every state but Alaska and Hawaii and never saw anything that equaled the train wreck that lead & zinc mining created. Huge copper mining operations around Butte, Montana came close but lead/zinc mining is the shxts.

Flash

Top Bottom