CMP / Gun Club Requirement

Discussion in 'Rifles' started by GM.Chief, Sep 13, 2009.

1. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    I am looking at trying to meet the eligibility requirements for CMP and one of the requirements http://www.thecmp.org/eligibility.htm is to be a part of a CMP affiliated organization. I've gone through their list of clubs in Texas, but have no real clue which one is right for me, especially since 90% of what there is is JROTC which I don't quite meet the requirements for...lol. I am curious if any other TGT members are part of any of these clubs and have any suggestions/experiences about what is involved. I don't have alot of free time to make it to club meetings and such seeing as how I spend 2/3 of the year offshore and the other 1/3 of the year trying to remind my wife how much I love her...lol. I realize most will probably require some sort of participation, but I am curious what other people's experiences with these are. Any help/info would be appreciated.

2. cuate

cuate Well-Known

Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Try Texas State Rifle Association (TSRA)

3. GM.Chief

GM.Chief Well-Known

Mar 16, 2009
    Gotcha...I didn't see them listed any of the other times I looked on there. Once I searched using the full name it showed up. Thanks cuate!

4. Texas Solo

Texas Solo Active Member

May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    My old club in Md. was CMP affiliated. WE held matches monthly. You had to have an NRA membership to be a club member as well. NRA is who actually handles all the paperwork, scoring, classifications, etc. That fact that the match is a CMP match, just sets the rules, course of fire, etc. It also allows you to purchase surplus ammo and rifles through the CMP (if available)

Since moving to San Antonio, I've found little interest in CMP Hi-Pwr rifle matches. IDPA and all the other pistol games seem to dominate in this part of the state. If you find a local club that holds CMP matches, they'll probably work with you on the attendence requirements of their club. It's usually more about $$$ than hours. YMMV.

Your best bet for info is to contact the NRA.

5. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Somewhat incorrect. The CMP does default to NRA rules when running matches, unless their rule book addresses the item, like what is a legal Service Pistol or Service Rifle for EIC Leg matches. They do not use the NRA classification system, i.e. Master, Expert, etc. All competitors fire in the same open classification at matches. In general, you do need to show evidence of marksmanship training to buy a rifle from them, but that can be accomplished in several different ways.

However, CMP match scores, entry fees, etc. are sent directly to the CMP. They are not part of the NRA, as evidenced by the distinctly different matches at the Nationals at Camp Perry each year.

For info on the CMP, it is best to ask them directly. Their website is www.odcmp.com. Under the competitions section they will list upcoming matches. Their rule book is also available in pdf format.

As Cuate mentioned, the TSRA is an affiliated CMP organization, as are all the State Associations.

6. Texas Solo

Texas Solo Active Member

May 4, 2008
    San Antonio
    So if I read you correctly, I was competing in NRA Hi-Pwr matches, NOT CMP matches? Either way, I was just involved for the fun of it.

My classification card says "NRA Hi-Pwr Service Rifle...Expert
    So by your explanation, it only has signifigance in NRA hi-pwr matches, not actual CMP matches? IN CMP matches, everyone is equal?

I guess I didn't understand the distingtion. I do know that the entry fees were split 3 ways...the club, NRA and CMP each got a piece. And, we we allowed to buy CMP ammo at the matches.

Thanks for clearing me up.

7. Lmccrock

Lmccrock Member

Nov 7, 2008
    Red Rock. TX
    And there are national organizations like USPSA and the Garand Collectors Association that qualify as well.
    IDPA membership does not qualify as club membership, but shooting a match satisfies the marksmanship activity requirement and can be shown in 2 ways:
    Note, you do not have to be any good, just have activity. ;)

Lee

8. Bullseye Shooter

Bullseye Shooter Active Member

Apr 28, 2008
    Texas Panhandle
    Correct. Your classification was for NRA High Power matches only. In CMP matches everyone competes against everyone else across the board. There are no break-downs by classification.

When you shoot an NRA match, part of the fees collected goes to the NRA. The same for a CMP match; part goes to them to help run the program and provide medals for the top 10% of competitors. The club is required by NRA rules (for NRA matches) to pay back a certain portion to participants unless they are running a non-profit match where they only collect enough fees to pay the NRA and pay for the targets, etc. CMP matches do not pay back participants, since the fees collected are just enough to pay for the targets, etc. and any medals that are awarded.

9. BombthePeasants

BombthePeasants Member

Apr 27, 2009
    I joined the TSRA and that was sufficient enough for them. I have since bought 2 Garands, 1 Carbine, and a bunch of ammunition.

10. Wolfwood

Wolfwood Self Appointed Board Chauvinist TGT Supporter

May 12, 2009
    wowzers!
    i had no idea about CMP.
    i guess i should have read my TSRA material a little better. what an awesome deal.
    22 bucks for singleshot .22s? thats great now i can afford to get my freinds into shooting. and 2a support.

also. bombthepeasents..... wtf is that handle about? just curious...